Brahma cross

Help Support CattleToday:

I definitely would not mind owning a couple of Santa Gertrudis and/or the Star 5s. Need to find some more pasture then I can start looking but im afraid the bank account may not like me much afterwards😂

Some people saying Beefmasters having too much ear. There are two types, the southern sub tropical kind and the northern kind. They split the registry for a while over the too much loosness of the skin was associatd with increased prolapses in the cows and sheath injuries. Seems maybe they fixed that and are one registry again. I looked at the latest Payweight magazine and its mostly the lot of ear and baggier skin are what breeders are selling. I emailed the Beefmasters.org and asked whatever happend to the old northern type? Turns out one of the Lasater brothers in Colorado, where the breed originted, has had a closed herd of the foundation stock from the git go. Look at these bulls they were selling at the ranch last year. Pretty tight skinned. http://dalelasaterranch.com/annualsale.htm

Some people saying Beefmasters having too much ear. There are two types, the southern sub tropical kind and the northern kind. They split the registry for a while over the too much loosness of the skin was associatd with increased prolapses in the cows and sheath injuries. Seems maybe they fixed that and are one registry again. I looked at the latest Payweight magazine and its mostly the lot of ear and baggier skin are what breeders are selling. I emailed the Beefmasters.org and asked whatever happend to the old northern type? Turns out one of the Lasater brothers in Colorado, where the breed originted, has had a closed herd of the foundation stock from the git go. Look at these bulls they were selling at the ranch last year. Pretty tight skinned. http://dalelasaterranch.com/annualsale.htm
The breed originated in Falfurrias, TX. They moved up to Colorado but operate in both areas with partners. Thats pretty impressive for cattle to thrive in both areas.

Read a book called Falfurrias. It has a lot of history of the Lasater family and how they got started. It also talks about some of the politics if the cattle business that we are still fighting today.

The F1 Brafords are real popular for the middle gulf coast and up around east to FL. There is a line that we call the Brahman belt. When it comes to South Texas, it's Beefmasters and Gerts.

Falfurious is in South Texas. It will be inetresting to see how these tight skinned foundation beefmasters do in that climate. My husband was a beefmaster rancher selling up to 200 calves a year in central Texas. Used to breed the tight skinned kind. He says eared calves take a ding to the sellers starting in September and brought lower prices. There is just one feedyard operating in south Texas where those eared calves do well. Most US feedyards are in the northern areas don;'t want to take the ding on frozen leather in the winter. That is why he raised the tight skinned kind.

Falfurious is in South Texas. It will be inetresting to see how these tight skinned foundation beefmasters do in that climate. My husband was a beefmaster rancher selling up to 200 calves a year in central Texas. Used to breed the tight skinned kind. He says eared calves take a ding to the sellers starting in September and brought lower prices. There is just one feedyard operating in south Texas where those eared calves do well. Most US feedyards are in the northern areas don;'t want to take the ding on frozen leather in the winter. That is why he raised the tight skinned kind.
I'm in Fal all the time. 😉

Hop online. Dv auction tmrw at Enid Oklahoma.
Come and get her, I'll buy ya a ribeye!
The white brahma cross is selling too.
View attachment 34949
Surely not?!!! I was afraid of that, is why I asked! :) I wish I was close enough to get them off of you. That heifer would have made you more money raising a black polled calf every year than any cow you will ever buy! Except maybe if you AI your Jerseys to a sexed semen Brahma!

The brahma cross and the black baldy who were bought about the same time both sold today.
I'm not gonna post numbers here.

The brahma cross far outgrew the baldy.
And the far more profitable calf was the brahma cross by a LONG ways.

I had much more of an initial investment in the baldy. They both did extremely well. But the cross was the far and away more profitable animal.

If I do it again next year I'll post actual numbers under the cattle sales section as a project.

The brahma cross and the black baldy who were bought about the same time both sold today.
I'm not gonna post numbers here.

The brahma cross far outgrew the baldy.
And the far more profitable calf was the brahma cross by a LONG ways.

I had much more of an initial investment in the baldy. They both did extremely well. But the cross was the far and away more profitable animal.

If I do it again next year I'll post actual numbers under the cattle sales section as a project.
Well... why no numbers? Doing that just makes anyone wonder what the reason is. We are here to learn.

And what about the white heifer that was being squirrely?

I'll ante up.. @Warren Allison

312 bucks! 12 dollars more than I should've. 🤣

The nice rwf heifer they sold brought 800plus. As well as the black bull calf.
I quit at 325 on the white one, think she brought almost 400
@Travlr
I guess I did say what I gave for the li snot!
I didnt want anyone to think I was exaggerating on what I gave for em. I can't remember if I said what I gave for the lil bwf unweaned heifer when I got her or not.
They've both just been on grass all summer. I DID have a little money in weaning them a couple weeks. Feed etc.

Crossbred weighed 260lbs when I got her.
Weighed 620lbs today
$312 turned into $1021.01
$709.01 "return"

Bwf heifer weighed 350lb when I got her
Weighed 490lb today
$770 turned into $1245.91
$475.91 "return"

Top one and bottom one.
I deducted commissions in the above numbers.
20230914_183019.jpg
I updated the thread on the "got a pretty"

Last edited: