Brahma cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Back when Simms first got here, and were red & white, we'd see as many f1 Br x Simm as we would f1 Brafords. Actually they were better cows all around than f1 Brafords. There may still be a lot, it is just now that Simms can be black or solid red, you might mistake them for other Brahma composites when you see them. Clay ( @Sthrncwboy ) has 2 reg Simbrah cows right now....a black and a bwf.
Maybe somewhere else here the Brangus and F-1 Tiger are the queen of the pastures.

Back when Simms first got here, and were red & white, we'd see as many f1 Br x Simm as we would f1 Brafords. Actually they were better cows all around than f1 Brafords. There may still be a lot, it is just now that Simms can be black or solid red, you might mistake them for other Brahma composites when you see them. Clay ( @Sthrncwboy ) has 2 reg Simbrah cows right now....a black and a bwf.
What made them better than the F1 Braford?

The Simmental side. Bigger cows, bigger calves, plenty of milk, etc.
F1 Brafords are not known for lack of milk. In fact, it's generally the opposite to almost a fault, in some cases.

Bigger cows and bigger calves is not always a plus.

I've been driving by a real nice herd of Simbrah cows the last year or so and I don't see a lot of difference other than color. The person breeds Simbrah back over Simbrah. One day I will catch some one in there and I will talk to them.

Only brahma I ever had made gobs of milk. I kept her bull (Richard, made a thread about him)
That bull bred Bessie and she had a heifer i kept.
Val is her name.
She is now bred to Big Sexy (hereford) for her first calf.
Shes already showing mamas disposition. I hope she follows in the milk department!!!

Shes a crossed up mess of a heifer. Not a large girl by any means. But I sure hope yall are right about the milk. I NEED another Bessie.

Only brahma I ever had made gobs of milk. I kept her bull (Richard, made a thread about him)
That bull bred Bessie and she had a heifer i kept.
Val is her name.
She is now bred to Big Sexy (hereford) for her first calf.
Shes already showing mamas disposition. I hope she follows in the milk department!!!

Shes a crossed up mess of a heifer. Not a large girl by any means. But I sure hope yall are right about the milk. I NEED another Bessie.
Yep, you will see bad bags from too much milk before you see lack of milk with most the Braford and Brangus type crosses.

when I raised a few Simbrah, theyd raise a big calf..but they took more to maintain..and They didn't produce as long as the F1 Brafords..Simbrah can shine like new money for a period..but won't last as long doing it.as a Braford..theyre temperments or different too though you see it in some Braford ..the Simbrah can be super flighty..

F1 Brafords are not known for lack of milk. In fact, it's generally the opposite to almost a fault, in some cases.

Bigger cows and bigger calves is not always a plus.

I've been driving by a real nice herd of Simbrah cows the last year or so and I don't see a lot of difference other than color. The person breeds Simbrah back over Simbrah. One day I will catch some one in there and I will talk to them.
Oh, I know....never said Brafords didn't produce adequate milk. And back then when they were popular Simbrahs were the same color as Brafords, like Simmental were the same color as Herefords. Only difference color wise was the red eye patches.

A few weeks ago we bought this heifer calf weighing 365 at a stockyards. Her ear tag had her birth date, the letters BL, and a phone number. I contacted the number via text,
I had guessed Brahman Longhorn cross,
The previous owner confirmed half Brahman and half Longhorn, 6 months old at the time.
She evidently had been weaned a short time cause wasn't bawling. Must have not been weaned long, because we bought a Jersey milk cow an calf the same day along with a few others, had her and the Jerseys in the front cut and when we got home she was nursing the Jersey cow.
She is as tall as some of our yearling heifers, but much narrower and lighter
View attachment 28724View attachment 28725
How yours turn out? She slick off nice this summer?

Looking good, @Ky hills . How is her disposition?
She's got a good disposition, but she can be a little standoffish ever once in a while. She'd probably put a person in orbit if they pushed her too hard, just kind of have to let her do her move herself with no more than a little encouragement.
I'd say typical of Brahman temperament.
They just seem to have a heightened sense of awareness in comparison to other cattle.
Open barn door or gate she will go in on her own.
Try to drive her in a barn she ain't budging.

We tipped mine. I just left the place she's on. Having second thoughts about selling her. Bred black, she'd make a good calf I think. She's super awesome. Don't even mind petting while eating etc. Comes running for feed etc
This one let me pet her nose this morning. I had bought this one intending to keep her but told my wife not long ago we could sell her. She doesn't want to so it looks like she'll be staying around. I'll put her with a bull next spring.

I had a Brahman cow that I bought young. She didn't have much for horns and I didn't want to stir her up cutting them out. As she got older when she would get agitated at you she would shake her head at you, like when you put a new ear tag in a calf. If you kept pushing she but her head. When she was POed she would start hooking at you which was followed shortly but her coming with it. I called her El Diabla because she would be calm as can be some times but when she wasn't, she let you know. She knew she was the only one with horns too.

Finally one time, she had a baby calf right by the yard fence (about 3' board fence), in hr shade of a big oak tree, at the ranch. I show up and see a bunch of people standing there taking pics. El Diabla is standing there blocking her calf and shaking her head at them. I hit the hit the horn and start hollering for the cows as I'm headed for a gate in to another pasture. The herd comes running and luckily she brings the calf with her.

Every one is like... awe where did they go... when I walked up. I just played it off like it was time for new pasture. I just kind of made the comment that those cows don't like a bunch of people when they are calving, and went on.

She got sold when they calf grew up. It was quite the experience getting her out.

RIP El Diabla
Gone, not soon enough 🤣

20210114_182819.jpg

This one let me pet her nose this morning. I had bought this one intending to keep her but told my wife not long ago we could sell her. She doesn't want to so it looks like she'll be staying around. I'll put her with a bull next spring.
We tipped mine. I just left the place she's on. Having second thoughts about selling her. Bred black, she'd make a good calf I think. She's super awesome. Don't even mind petting while eating etc. Comes running for feed etc
You both have a cow, that if you breed to reg Angus ( or at least a purebred that could have been registered. You just want to make sure it is homozygous for black and polled) , will give you a black polled calf every year that will sell for 2-3 times what you have in the cow. And I guarantee you won't have any calving problems with them. They will remain fertile a lot longer than British and Continental cows will, too. Once they have that first calf you won't ever need a LGD or donkey, either.

Latest posts