Brahma cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoping for 1200 outta her.
Shes nice n slick now!!
If she didn't bring at least that, I would bring her home. She will raise you a calf worth more than that each year. Given what you have in her, she will be the most profitable cow you have owned. Bred to the right black, polled bull, she will raise some calves that will sell as well as the ones from any other cow you have. And give you less problems doing it than any cow you have.

If she didn't bring at least that, I would bring her home. She will raise you a calf worth more than that each year. Given what you have in her, she will be the most profitable cow you have owned. Bred to the right black, polled bull, she will raise some calves that will sell as well as the ones from any other cow you have. And give you less problems doing it than any cow you have.
I've been trying to buy some replacements. Open heifers are bringing 1600!!
They sold some breds in Enid Thursday. NOTHING was under 2000 bucks. Most over 2500.
They brought a dang 3yr old pair in looked like the cow was part zebu. The pair still brought 2000 dollars! And weighed less 900lbs for the pair.

I've given thought to keeping her. She was implanted once. But I've seen her cycling.

I do plan on replacing Big Sexy soon. Gonna go from hereford to something else. Ain't 100% decided yet. If I decide to keep my good young colored cows (because I can't get anything bought) I'll probly HAVE to go with a black bull to even everything up.

My colored cows will be free cows when I sell the calves off of them. Prices are just right there, and the ones at home will be bred already with my group. So there's that!

Here's the baldy I got about the same time btw. She weighed 350lbs. Didn't get implanted.
Should be over 500 now anyway.
Shes not the kind I want. Runs at the sight of a human. The brahma cross don't do that. Pretty easy to get along with.
20230902_102550.jpg
20230902_101631.jpg
The cross outgrew her by far

They sold some breds in Enid Thursday. NOTHING was under 2000 bucks. Most over 2500.
They brought a dang 3yr old pair in looked like the cow was part zebu. The pair still brought 2000 dollars! And weighed less 900lbs for the pair.

I've given thought to keeping her. She was implanted once. But I've seen her cycling.

I do plan on replacing Big Sexy soon. Gonna go from hereford to something else. Ain't 100% decided yet. If I decide to keep my good young colored cows (because I can't get anything bought) I'll probly HAVE to go with a black bull to even everything up.

My colored cows will be free cows when I sell the calves off of them. Prices are just right there, and the ones at home will be bred already with my group. So there's that!

Here's the baldy I got about the same time btw. She weighed 350lbs. Didn't get implanted.
Shes not the kind I want. Runs at the sight of a human. The brahma cross don't do that. Pretty easy to get along with.
View attachment 34472
View attachment 34473
The cross outgrew her by far
If you had a notion to make a road trip, bred 6-8 year old tiger stripe Brahma cross cows are being sold down here for $1350. Ol' Bubba Rutherford has some nice middle age breds…we have no grass left

Attachments

• 063ADC57-2448-4387-A11B-603033167430.png
    063ADC57-2448-4387-A11B-603033167430.png
    3 MB · Views: 25
If you had a notion to make a road trip, bred 6-8 year old tiger stripe Brahma cross cows are being sold down here for $1350. Ol' Bubba Rutherford has some nice middle age breds…we have no grass left
Big cows, what is the right cross for those type cows? How long do those cross normally breed?

With prices that high, this may be one of the rare times that you can raise a replacement cheaper than you can buy one. From all the pics you have posted this past year, I see only 2 head I would cull: The belted runt and that Hereford bull, and I would have them at a sale tomorrow. Take the money from selling them, and put some with it if you need to, and buy the best registered Angus bull you can find. at a price you can afford. Get one registered so you know what you are buying, that has EPDs etc. Using a grade, or commercial I guess I should say, bull is like Forest Gump's box of chocolates: You never know what you are gonna get. What will you have....a 30 cow herd? You take a 30 head calf crop by a reg Angus bull, and a 30 head calf crop by a mongrel, and the difference in the money the 2 crops will bring will more than make up the extra cost to buy a reg bull. Or, if ears don't hurt the price where you are, get a reg Brangus. Or split the difference and get an Ultrablack. But don't breed the Jeresys to it. AI them with sexed semen every year for a Br x Jersey heifer. Right now you can get $2k for them at weaning, and when the market heads back down, as it will soon, and they get cheap, you can keep them and put them in your herd to breed to the Ang bull. A win-win situation. Once or twice before they get too old, AI them with sexed Jersey or other dairy breed semen to get your replacements.

You have traded around and had some luck with bottle calves as well, and all this has resulted in a right decent set of cows at prices that you can't hardly lose on them. You will end up with a push-button program that will give you more time and money to spend on back of that Harley!

With prices that high, this may be one of the rare times that you can raise a replacement cheaper than you can buy one. From all the pics you have posted this past year, I see only 2 head I would cull: The belted runt and that Hereford bull, and I would have them at a sale tomorrow. Take the money from selling them, and put some with it if you need to, and buy the best registered Angus bull you can find. at a price you can afford. Get one registered so you know what you are buying, that has EPDs etc. Using a grade, or commercial I guess I should say, bull is like Forest Gump's box of chocolates: You never know what you are gonna get. What will you have....a 30 cow herd? You take a 30 head calf crop by a reg Angus bull, and a 30 head calf crop by a mongrel, and the difference in the money the 2 crops will bring will more than make up the extra cost to buy a reg bull. Or, if ears don't hurt the price where you are, get a reg Brangus. Or split the difference and get an Ultrablack. But don't breed the Jeresys to it. AI them with sexed semen every year for a Br x Jersey heifer. Right now you can get $2k for them at weaning, and when the market heads back down, as it will soon, and they get cheap, you can keep them and put them in your herd to breed to the Ang bull. A win-win situation. Once or twice before they get too old, AI them with sexed Jersey or other dairy breed semen to get your replacements.

You have traded around and had some luck with bottle calves as well, and all this has resulted in a right decent set of cows at prices that you can't hardly lose on them. You will end up with a push-button program that will give you more time and money to spend on back of that Harley!
That's sort of the direction I'm headed Warren.
Bull will sell as soon as his antibiotic withdrawal is over. I was hoping he would heal up but still Gimping around. I'm not even sure why the vet gave him any. There was no sign of hoof rot! Pretty sure he's stifled/injured/pulled a muscle whatever.
But he would be going to the rough pasture and I can't rely on him now. Even less over there where I can't see em several times a day.

Neighbor keeps on me about this "purebred" angus bull from a somewhat reputable outfit about 20 miles from here. I'm not convinced!
He's a nice bull and gentle as can be but he's a heifer bull thru and thru. And I don't need one til December. I've got a little time to look. Tho I'm already looking anyway.

It'll get interesting real soon.

Everybody was laughing when I said I'm keeping some heifers to replace some of the older cows I sold.
Well go buy a few quality heifers right now and laugh about that!!

Black bull is definitely what I'm leaning towards. I'd really like a "homo black hereford"

On other topic of beefmaster bulls. The nice thing about them, to me, is they can be most different colors, horned, polled, etc. But the biggest thing is, ear or not, they mash the scales when it comes times to sell. I've sat and watched sale after sale after sale around here and sure they take a small hit, not as much as one would think, but the added pounds far outweighs the discount on ALL the ones I've seen sell.
As yearlings now.
Not talking calves.
So it's gotta fit your program!
If your selling calves, go black Angus
If ya wanna sell yearlings I'd go beefmaster.

Last edited:
Really? I've always been told the market for Brahma influences was in south Texas and going east
The replacement market for quality F1s and composites is good when marketed correctly, especially as breds or ready to breed.

Hauling a few crossed up science experiments at weaning to the AB will not bring squat.

Bull will sell as soon as his antibiotic withdrawal is over. I was hoping he would heal up but still Gimping around. I'm not even sure why the vet gave him any. There was no sign of hoof rot! Pretty sure he's stifled/injured/pulled a muscle whatever.
But he would be going to the rough pasture and I can't rely on him now. Even less over there where I can't see em several times a day.

Neighbor keeps on me about this "purebred" angus bull from a somewhat reputable outfit about 20 miles from here. I'm not convinced!
He's a nice bull and gentle as can be but he's a heifer bull thru and thru. And I don't need one til December. I've got a little time to look. Tho I'm already looking anyway.

Everybody was laughing when I said I'm keeping some heifers to replace some of the older cows I sold.

Black bull is definitely what I'm leaning towards. I'd really like a "homo black hereford"

On other topic of beefmaster bulls. The nice thing about them, to me, is they can be most different colors, horned, polled, etc. But the biggest thing is, ear or not, they mash the scales when it comes times to sell. I've sat and watched sale after sale after sale around here and sure they take a small hit, not as much as one would think, but the added pounds far outweighs the discount on ALL the ones I've seen sell.
As yearlings now.
Not talking calves.
There are now black Beefmasters, You can get bulls that are homozygous for black and homozygous for polled. They are relatively new on the scene, and I would pay a little more and get Brangus myself. Brangus and Braford are 3/8th Brahma, while Beefmaster is 4/8ths Brahma. So, maybe a little more ear. Black Simm or Simangus would be a good choice, too. Those 2 that @kenny thomas just bought from @simme ...one of each... are as nice a bulls as I have seen on here yet. Either one of them, or one like them, would be an excellent choice. Whichever kind you got, I would get one that is registered, and not fool with commercial "pure" anything. I'd put all my cows in my biggest pasture first of June, with the bull, and pull him out about the 2nd week of July. You'd have the most grass that time of year, and their calves would be nursing not grazing. Then you'd have your cows calving Marh til 1st of April, and you can wean and sell in September-1st of October., You won't have to feed anything but your cows over the winter. Black Hereford, homo for black and polled would be fine with a herd of solid colored beef cows. But, with some of yours with LH blood and Holstein blood etc, their calves might chrome up too much. Might get white along their back, etc.

Scott's brother has developed some composites..3/8 black Simm.,3/8 Chi-Angus, and either 1/4 Brahma or 1/4 Brangus. Just depends on how much ear you want. I used 6 of those bulls to breed the Corriente herd this year. These are not registered bulls per se, but he uses reg Simm, Chi-Ang, Brahma and Brangus to develop them, and has a 4 generation pedigree for each one. He gives you epds on sires, grandsires, great grandsires, and great great grandsires, copies of the papers and the dams' that were reg Simm, Chi-Ang, Brahma or Brangus And you get a record that bull's BW, WW YW, etc. , and the DNA tests for black and polled.

Last edited:

As yearlings now.
Not talking calves.
One of the things I don't like about Beefmaster is that they are so inconsistent in appearance. They can look like a European cross or like a long-eared brahma cross. Long legged and rangy with a lot of extra skin or short legged, stout, and rolling in fat. White faced, brockle faced, or solid.

If you get a bull with no obvious ear he would probably not throw calves with any ear. I can't say he would breed true to type (his type) but he might. If you don't want ear I would avoid the bulls with that trait. Some of your cows have some ear so they might get it from the maternal side anyway.

Latest posts