Brahma cross

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't. I've got her in the weaning pen now with 2 others. Those two don't really need anything special. Plan is to shove em out on grass in 2 weeks.

Ya think 2 weeks would do any good?
It will slick her up. Are the cows shedding out yet where you are, or have they already shed? Looking at her most recent pictures, she may be Br x Corr rather than Br x LH. Br.LH crosses are bred for bucking bulls a lot..or used in the developement of bucking bulls. Brahmas are bred to Corriente when you are going for smaller bulls for high school rodeo, practice bulls, etc. I'd just as soon have one as the other. If you bred her and @Ky hills's LH x BR at the same time to the same bull, she may wean a slightly smaller calf, or maybe not. If you decide to keep her, she will end up being your most profitable cow. her first calf will sell for 2 or 3 times what you have in her, bred to the right bull. And the subsequent calves will be sheer profit. I have fooled with hundreds of Corr cows, about half that many Brahmas, anmd a few LS cows in my life, and have never had to help a heifer calve, or had one reject a calf.

It will slick her up. Are the cows shedding out yet where you are, or have they already shed? Looking at her most recent pictures, she may be Br x Corr rather than Br x LH. Br.LH crosses are bred for bucking bulls a lot..or used in the developement of bucking bulls. Brahmas are bred to Corriente when you are going for smaller bulls for high school rodeo, practice bulls, etc. I'd just as soon have one as the other. If you bred her and @Ky hills's LH x BR at the same time to the same bull, she may wean a slightly smaller calf, or maybe not. If you decide to keep her, she will end up being your most profitable cow. her first calf will sell for 2 or 3 times what you have in her, bred to the right bull. And the subsequent calves will be sheer profit. I have fooled with hundreds of Corr cows, about half that many Brahmas, anmd a few LS cows in my life, and have never had to help a heifer calve, or had one reject a calf.
Most are shedding that winter hair now. That beltie has really slicked up nice!
The darker colored cows are working on it around here. Maybe they just had more hair to shed! 😆

I really have no intention of keeping her. Kinda sad really. Because she has really really come around with polite friendly disposition I like too.

I thought it wasn't advised to use implants on heifers because of the impact on fertility.
It's not, but it's a common practice to implant terminal market calves.
We don't implant anymore, and certainly would not implant any heifers that would be kept for replacements.
Used to be part of the standard program for working feeder calves. Here lately I've been seeing that at the stockyards they will often ask if calves have been implanted.

I thought it wasn't advised to use implants on heifers because of the impact on fertility.
Exactly!
Keeps me from retaining her!
It's not, but it's a common practice to implant terminal market calves.
We don't implant anymore, and certainly would not implant any heifers that would be kept for replacements.
Used to be part of the standard program for working feeder calves. Here lately I've been seeing that at the stockyards they will often ask if calves have been implanted.
Altho. My vet says, usually one implant ain't gonna effect fertility too terrible much.
Usually...

Like I said guys, I don't wanna keep her. I wanna turn her into cash this fall.

I also passed on a real nice full brahma (hump and all) today.
Weighed about 500lbs
She went for roughly 750 buckers

Exactly!
Keeps me from retaining her!

Altho. My vet says, usually one implant ain't gonna effect fertility too terrible much.
Usually...

Like I said guys, I don't wanna keep her. I wanna turn her into cash this fall.

I also passed on a real nice full brahma (hump and all) today.
Weighed about 500lbs
She went for roughly 750 buckers
Did you really sell animals for a profit and sit through the sale all day without buying anything? I hope you're feeling alright.

Those are the kind I'd keeping for cows.
Don't you go to Oklahoma to see your in-laws or something every year? Might be someone else on here I am thinking about. Maybe if you do, @MurraysMutts would work with you to bring her back to KLY to go with yours! :) I tell ya right now, if y'all were closer, I wouldn't think twice about buying yours and his for some profit over what y'all gave for them. I'd turn them out in the Kudzu pasture, breed them to an Angus when they got close to 2 years old, then an Ultrablack or black Simm every year after that, for the next 15 plus years. And I'dd bet you $100 a year, they would calve each time with zero problems, and would raise that calf as good as any beef cow would.

Don't you go to Oklahoma to see your in-laws or something every year? Might be someone else on here I am thinking about. Maybe if you do, @MurraysMutts would work with you to bring her back to KLY to go with yours! :) I tell ya right now, if y'all were closer, I wouldn't think twice about buying yours and his for some profit over what y'all gave for them. I'd turn them out in the Kudzu pasture, breed them to an Angus when they got close to 2 years old, then an Ultrablack or black Simm every year after that, for the next 15 plus years. And I'dd bet you $100 a year, they would calve each time with zero problems, and would raise that calf as good as any beef cow would.
We do go there, wife's family is from southeast Oklahoma. It would be pretty hard to justify trucking one calf that far. I jokingly tell my wife, I'm gonna go out there and buy some Brahmans.
We are actually figuring on relocating there at some point within the next few years.
If I'm still able, I'll get a few Brahmans then.
If/when we make the move, I may take some of my current cattle, I told my wife we'd look like the Clampetts rolling in with all the animals, tractors, etc.
May have to hire @kenny thomas and some of my connections around here to haul things out there.

We do go there, wife's family is from southeast Oklahoma. It would be pretty hard to justify trucking one calf that far. I jokingly tell my wife, I'm gonna go out there and buy some Brahmans.
We are actually figuring on relocating there at some point within the next few years.
If/when we make the move, I may take some of my current cattle, I told my wife we'd look like the Clampetts rolling in with all the animals, tractors, etc.
May have to hire @kenny thomas and some of my connections around here to haul things out there.
My wife had a few Brahama and crosses when we were young. Last year i bought 1 pure and 3 black cross just because we liked them. No big deal if the calves don't top the market. The point is we enjoy having them.
And my truck can head west anytime you want to move. But you live in one of the nicest places in the US.

My wife had a few Brahama and crosses when we were young. Last year i bought 1 pure and 3 black cross just because we liked them. No big deal if the calves don't top the market. The point is we enjoy having them.
And my truck can head west anytime you want to move. But you live in one of the nicest places in the US.
That's they way we are, I've bought a few Brahman crosses when I've had the opportunity to, they make some fine cows.
I have to admit this is a very scenic area.
It has a lot of problems though, but I reckon every other place does too.

There are some people who say they have problems with a brahma on Fescue, if the Brahma wasn;t born and raised on Fescue. But I have bought a lot over the years, from south Ga, Fla, south Ala where these os al;most no fescue, and brought them up here where most pastures are fescue, and have never had a problem.

There are some people who say they have problems with a brahma on Fescue, if the Brahma wasn;t born and raised on Fescue. But I have bought a lot over the years, from south Ga, Fla, south Ala where these os al;most no fescue, and brought them up here where most pastures are fescue, and have never had a problem.
I've had a few Brahman crosses, never noticed any issue from fescue with them, but that being said my small sampling isn't enough to glean much from in that respect.
There have been and are some good size Santa Gertrudis and Beefmaster herds around.
Every once in awhile you'll see a Brahman bull or two in field.

I've had a few Brahman crosses, never noticed any issue from fescue with them, but that being said my small sampling isn't enough to glean much from in that respect.
There have been and are some good size Santa Gertrudis and Beefmaster herds around.
Every once in awhile you'll see a Brahman bull or two in field.
Seems like maybe it was @kenny thomas that was telling me about the Brama/Fescue thing. I think he sent me a link to an article about it. Kenny?

Seems like maybe it was @kenny thomas that was telling me about the Brama/Fescue thing. I think he sent me a link to an article about it. Kenny?
Its more of just a fescue thing. Most Brahama are raised without fescue and dont adapt to it well. But thats pretty much any cattle that didnt grow up on fescue.

Latest posts