Brahma cross

Help Support CattleToday:

If she is a brahma x LH I've heard that they make good mamas and that's good news because she probably won't ever be a top sale barn contender.
True. And if, God forbid, they have another dry year out there, she will hold up as well, if not better, than most anything else would. Same if it was a Brahma, x Corr, just won't get as big or have as big a calf. She can be a money maker if he uses a homo for black and homo for polled bull.

True. And if, God forbid, they have another dry year out there, she will hold up as well, if not better, than most anything else would. Same if it was a Brahma, x Corr, just won't get as big or have as big a calf. She can be a money maker if he uses a homo for black and homo for polled bull.
Well, if in theory Big Sexy is still doing the poking and prodding out there, that wouldn't be terrible either if she pops out heifers fairly consistently, though I imagine the bull calves won't do much.

A few weeks ago we bought this heifer calf weighing 365 at a stockyards. Her ear tag had her birth date, the letters BL, and a phone number. I contacted the number via text,
I had guessed Brahman Longhorn cross,
The previous owner confirmed half Brahman and half Longhorn, 6 months old at the time.
She evidently had been weaned a short time cause wasn't bawling. Must have not been weaned long, because we bought a Jersey milk cow an calf the same day along with a few others, had her and the Jerseys in the front cut and when we got home she was nursing the Jersey cow.
She is as tall as some of our yearling heifers, but much narrower and lighter
4ABD7AAC-BEB5-412D-9F21-9DC379D978E5.jpegD892803C-7FC4-4D58-AA43-9B0CD7D1C9D1.jpeg

Nice heifer. Definitely interested on how she'll turn out. Liable to get you a whole herd with some ear
Won't be a whole herd of these here! Lol
That build is called malnourished.

That's a heck of a set of horns for that weight. My guess is some ones practice calf or science experience discarded.

That animal will forever be stunted.
He sure had an assortment of calves yesterday. My best guess would be brahma sired. Corriente or longhorn cow.
@Ky hills calf has those same ORANGE ears. So maybe there something to that. My plan is to wean her. Worm her. Fix her head. And let her graze the lease all summer. Make a decision after that.
Definitely agree about the malnourished part! She will get plenty for a few weeks. Kind of weird really. She was still on mama. Mama must've not had any milk or food either.
That longhorn he was trying to get rid of was pretty pathetic.
Did he say how old she was?
He did not.
He brought a few bigger calves. The white one was only about 200lbs. Looked fresh off mama too.
The bigger calves did much better dollarwise.
He said they were all weaned 2 weeks!

This heifer is tall and thin. Fine boned for sure. Like I said, I'm gonna wean her, worm her, fix her head and graze her a while. I got a small group that needs weaned soon anyway. I'll stick her in with them for a few weeks.

Edited to add...
I know her horns look impressive in the pics. Shes got got LOT of hair around her lil nubbins. I've got 2 or 3 by Big Sexy that have horns about this size. They are all about 6 months old.

Pretty sure she ain't got no jersey in her!

Last edited:
He also said ya could feed em by hand. She ain't got a clue what feed is!!
Loves that crappy bale core tho....
She keeps eating it, I'll keep piling it in there! 🤣
20230409_133932.jpg
Thin as a rail
20230409_134028.jpg
I'm seriously not kidding here. She had that pile of feed, and she was grazing the dirt!! Eating lil bits n pieces off the ground. She sure ain't gonna know how to act when she actually gets out on the grass!

Last edited:

He sure had an assortment of calves yesterday. My best guess would be brahma sired. Corriente or longhorn cow.
@Ky hills calf has those same ORANGE ears. So maybe there something to that. My plan is to wean her. Worm her. Fix her head. And let her graze the lease all summer. Make a decision after that.
Definitely agree about the malnourished part! She will get plenty for a few weeks. Kind of weird really. She was still on mama. Mama must've not had any milk or food either.

He did not.
He brought a few bigger calves. The white one was only about 200lbs. Looked fresh off mama too.

This heifer is tall and thin. Fine boned for sure. Like I said, I'm gonna wean her, worm her, fix her head and graze her a while. I got a small group that needs weaned soon anyway. I'll stick her in with them for a few weeks.

Edited to add...
I know her horns look impressive in the pics. Shes got got LOT of hair around her lil nubbins. I've got 2 or 3 by Big Sexy that have horns about this size. They are all about 6 months old.

I would guess her to be around 5-6 months. She needs minerals and some probiotics Murray.
Her stick and dirt eating days are over.
woman-farmer_1f469-200d-1f33e.png

A few weeks ago we bought this heifer calf weighing 365 at a stockyards. Her ear tag had her birth date, the letters BL, and a phone number. I contacted the number via text,
The previous owner confirmed half Brahman and half Longhorn, 6 months old at the time.
She evidently had been weaned a short time cause wasn't bawling. Must have not been weaned long, because we bought a Jersey milk cow an calf the same day along with a few others, had her and the Jerseys in the front cut and when we got home she was nursing the Jersey cow.
View attachment 28724View attachment 28725
I really like that one

Nice looking "Plummer"! Usually these crosses grow taller and heavier than either a Brahma or a LH cow, so her height doesn't surprise me. She will make you a good momma cow, bred to one of your black bulls. @MurraysMutts , she looks like your calf, just a different color. I think you got a deal as well. These cows tend to be productive for a long time. I sold one just like yours, @Ky hills to a Brangus breeder in north Fla about 2006. He AI's her to Jeresy bulls, sexed semen, to get a heat and insect tolerant nurse cow. Seems he has a cow family prone to twins. She had a 2021 calf and he was gonna breed her back. He hasn't kept all 15 or 16 of these....he sells some to other ranchers. I think he tries to keep 3 or 4 that freshen at his 2 calving times. He breeds these 1/2 Jeresey nurse cows with one of his Brangus bull, and gets black, polled calves.

Neither one of you said how much they cost, but I am assuming less than a black beef heifer would. Neither one of you got hurt, and most likely have made some money down the road. What I would do, and I am not trying in any way to tell either of you what to do, is to actually breed them at 2 years old or close to it. Both breeds are known for maturing later than British breeds, but they will be productive for 15+ years.

Last edited:

He did not.

Edited to add...

Murray, after you worm her, might try mixing about 4 ounces of corn oil with her feed. And get some 100% biotin crumbles and add a scoop that comes with it to the feed. About 2 or 3 ounces. If you need to, you can stir in some brown sugar or molasses to get her to eat. In 3 or 4 weeks, she will slick off and shine like a show horse. Biotin is great for hair, skin and hooves. https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/products/vita-biotin-crumbles-hoof-supplement

They are beautiful!! Yours were the first I'd ever seen.

So how they made?
Brahma bull over jersey cows?
Jersey bull over brahma cows?

More to it than that?
They AI with sexed semen.
The dairy calves didn't have much value.
These are fought over.
Every once in awhile there will be a special sale .
Buffalo has had a couple.
I have three grandkids that are livestock judges and they loop paw paw in when I start looking.

They are beautiful!! Yours were the first I'd ever seen.

So how they made?
Brahma bull over jersey cows?
Jersey bull over brahma cows?

More to it than that?
You have 3 Jerseys, right? Do you ever AI? Or know a neighbor who does? Order some sexed Brahma semen, and you can build a herd of these, 3 heifers a year. I can't find it right now, but this past winter when I got those Brown Swiss/Fleckvieh cows, @Caustic Burno sent me a link to a site, and made some reccomendations. Dan ordered sexed semen from a polled red Brahma to breed them with. I guess I saved the link on another computer, but it was from a breeder that Caustic said had the best Brahma lines.

They AI with sexed semen.
The dairy calves didn't have much value.
These are fought over.
Every once in awhile there will be a special sale .
Buffalo has had a couple.
I have three grandkids that are livestock judges and they loop paw paw in when I start looking.

Don't know as how I could speak to their "value" but around here when they were common what you were seeing was both dairies using a brahma bull and also almost every blue haired old lady with a milk cow used to get a local boy with a beef herd to float her a bull when she needed one. Those ones made great heifer calves too, I've never seen one sell for rock bottom but hell, who knows?

Latest posts