Brahma cross

Help Support CattleToday:

One of the things I don't like about Beefmaster is that they are so inconsistent in appearance. They can look like a European cross or like a long-eared brahma cross. Long legged and rangy with a lot of extra skin or short legged, stout, and rolling in fat. White faced, brockle faced, or solid.

If you get a bull with no obvious ear he would probably not throw calves with any ear. I can't say he would breed true to type (his type) but he might. If you don't want ear I would avoid the bulls with that trait. Some of your cows have some ear so they might get it from the maternal side anyway.
Beefmaster is one of the few breeds that solely bred for performance, not asthetics. Who would have thought that would have become such a foreign ideology. 😔

You should have heard me steering my family away from some paint bulls. They were looking at me as stupid as I felt trying to explain it.

Beefmaster is one of the few breeds that solely bred for performance, not asthetics. Who would have thought that would have become such a foreign ideology. 😔

You should have heard me steering my family away from some paint bulls. They were looking at me as stupid as I felt trying to explain it.
One of the six traits Beefmaster claims to concentrate on is conformation... and I sure can't see where they can claim that is a criteria. I admire the he** out of the breed for their focus on fertility, ability to raise pounds of calf, hardiness, and disposition... but I don't see how they can claim a defined type when they are so all over the board. And yeah, explaining that can get confusing.

Hard to beat the Beefmaster girls for raising a calf that mashes the scales and rings the bell.
My only knock on them is the SH in the woodpile, chrome pops out from time to time.

Several years ago a neighbor had a few of those painted Beefmaster bulls.
He's always had mixed cows, black, reds, Chars etc, the calves by those bulls were real good looking calves but it was Christmas tree bunch for sure, every color, spots, you name it it was there. I always would of liked to have had some of those Beefmaster x for cows though.
Not many of them here now, I bought a registered solid red Beefmaster bull a few years ago and he got hurt before he ever got turned out, so never got to use him and never tried again, yet.

Ya gotta feed a calf to get it to mashing scales... and the SH is where the milk comes from.
Believe what you will about SH.
My neighbor ran a registered herd, I never had a desire to own any of the slow growing hippos. Only thing they beat is LH In growth where it's hot.
Calves can't nurse underwater.
SH spend their time in water not grazing or growing calves why do you think the King Ranch and Lassiter put Brimmer in them.
Cause they weren't working.
I actually like the growth out of Gerts better just not the attitude! I grew up working 250 head of those fight or flight girls. They will teach you how to work Brimmer or kill you.
The attitude on the BM is better IMO and they are 1/2 Brimmer.

My neighbor ran a registered herd, I never had a desire to own any of the slow growing hippos. Only thing they beat is LH In growth where it's hot.
SH spend their time in water not grazing or growing calves why do you think the King Ranch and Lassiter put Brimmer in them.
I actually like the growth out of Gerts better just not the attitude! I grew up working 250 head of those fight or flight girls. They will teach you how to work Brimmer or kill you.
There's a fella down south of here sold his Gert bull last winter. That big bass turd weighed aver 2400lbs!
And gentle as a puppy.

I ran into him at the sale 2 or 3 weeks ago and inquired about buying a bull calf from him. He sold his last 2 as steers at that sale. Over 800lbs as 8 months calves. Weaned 30 days. Just incredible. I was really sad to hear he got out of em

Brahman cows usually milk pretty good.
I've always really liked Santa Gertrudis.
Years ago I got a gert bull calf to graft on to a Charolais cow that lost a calf. Made him a steer, and he weaned off just a little bit behind but very close to our registered Charolais bull calves in size and weight. I was very interested in the breed after that.
In the years since I've tried 3 gert females, but none have really worked out. I think it's that there aren't a lot of them around here and ones that are here are hobby type farms that show them.
I know that further down in the southeast there are are some fine herds of Santa Gertrudis.

I didn't say SH can take heat or that they grew fast... only that they make milk. Why do you
think the King Ranch and Lassiter put SH on Brimmer and Hereford...

There's a fella down south of here sold his Gert bull last winter. That big bass turd weighed aver 2400lbs!
And gentle as a puppy.

I ran into him at the sale 2 or 3 weeks ago and inquired about buying a bull calf from him. He sold his last 2 as steers at that sale. Over 800lbs as 8 months calves. Weaned 30 days. Just incredible. I was really sad to hear he got out of em
I worked for a guy in Arkansas that had the nicest Gerts I've ever seen, and they may have been the nicest cattle I've ever seen. Really spectacular.

They had a two year old, 2600# bull in a stock trailer and were just about to pull out... and I asked them where the bull was going. They said, "To the slaughter house."

The bull had been one they were watching closely for attitude problems and he was valued at 100K. They were working the bulls with the boss there, this bull behind two others in the chute, and a one ton dually in front of the headgate just to be sure a bull wouldn't push the gate open. The offending bull did just that. He pushed the two bulls in front of him... and the truck... out of the way, destroying the headgate and the boss said catch him, load him, and tell the packer to make him into hamburger.

I liked working for that guy.

My family had some black Brangus bulls on BM cows for a couple years. They made some real nice, big boned, soggy, mommas. They would be black with a little white. My family didn't like the black cows though and went back to BM bulls.

I pitched a Hereford bull on some BM cows. I didn't get a no... but I didn't get a yes. 😄 Then I said, what about red Angus or red Brangus. I got a yes, and the go ahead on that. The problem now finding some good ones.

One thing about brindle cows (that what we call tiger strip in North Florida, the never seem to get sick, they always raise good calves. They are hard to beat. A good Angus bull over them makes good calves. A Brangus or Brangus x Angus (I forgot the name they have given them) would be great.
Lots of growth still there is enough Angus and Hereford there for them not to have to much ear.

My family had some black Brangus bulls on BM cows for a couple years. They made some real nice, big boned, soggy, mommas. They would be black with a little white. My family didn't like the black cows though and went back to BM bulls.

I pitched a Hereford bull on some BM cows. I didn't get a no... but I didn't get a yes. 😄 Then I said, what about red Angus or red Brangus. I got a yes, and the go ahead on that. The problem now finding some good ones.
There is a man in Alachua Florida that has some really good Red Brangus bulls. He takes care of them and does it right. Take a lot of pride in his cattle

One thing about brindle cows (that what we call tiger strip in North Florida, the never seem to get sick, they always raise good calves. They are hard to beat. A good Angus bull over them makes good calves. A Brangus or Brangus x Angus (I forgot the name they have given them) would be great.
Lots of growth still there is enough Angus and Hereford there for them not to have to much ear.
Angus Plus or Ultrabacks... may even be some more names. Basically a Brangus bred back to Angus.

We had an Angus Plus at one point. Guy talked me in to trying him vs Brangus. Eventually I went all the way to BA.

And there's nothing wrong... maybe even something right... about using homozygous black Sim or Lim bulls if your cows are capable. They will produce calves that top the market and finish faster than angus if fed correctly.

Simbrah are some growing machines never really caught on for some reason.
Back when Simms first got here, and were red & white, we'd see as many f1 Br x Simm as we would f1 Brafords. Actually they were better cows all around than f1 Brafords. There may still be a lot, it is just now that Simms can be black or solid red, you might mistake them for other Brahma composites when you see them. Clay ( @Sthrncwboy ) has 2 reg Simbrah cows right now....a black and a bwf.

Officially, the registered ones are called Ultrablacks. They are crosses of registered Brangus and registered Angus. The books are kept by the Brangus Association. https://gobrangus.com/feb-17-fbp-feature-perkins/

Latest posts