Longhorn cross

Help Support CattleToday:

@Dave here's a portion of the latest market report from OKC National Stockyards.
View attachment 23661
I think it demonstrates that the buyers are willing to pay for quality. In the highlighted area the "fancy" calves brought 14.8% higher price per lb compared to a comparable sized ordinary calf. For his 90 head lot he extracted $12,270 more than the market average for his quality. Buyers recognize and pay for quality. The only question that I have is what did it cost him to get to this level of quality?
Of course there are a lot of unknown variables there not just his cost. It sure would be nice to see what they call "fancy" and figure out how a person could produce that. There are two main reasons calves sell very well here. The first is genetics. The ranchers in this part of the world for the most part use top of the line bulls. And their replacements come from those genetics. A lot of the cows don't look like top end genetics but that is because of the environment they live in. The other is compensatory gain. Calves that spend the first 6 months of life climbing up and down mountains and walking a mile or two to water. They are hard. Not flabby. Calves like that when put on the easy life and good feed gain a lot very quickly. Buyers like that.

Of course there are a lot of unknown variables there not just his cost. It sure would be nice to see what they call "fancy" and figure out how a person could produce that. There are two main reasons calves sell very well here. The first is genetics. The ranchers in this part of the world for the most part use top of the line bulls. And their replacements come from those genetics. A lot of the cows don't look like top end genetics but that is because of the environment they live in. The other is compensatory gain. Calves that spend the first 6 months of life climbing up and down mountains and walking a mile or two to water. They are hard. Not flabby. Calves like that when put on the easy life and good feed gain a lot very quickly. Buyers like that.
I have been trying to figure out what made them "fancy" myself. I had the auctioneer call mine fancy a couple years ago. I don't have the best cows, mixed with several different breeds, mostly Black Angus, a few Herford, Charolais, Red Angus, a couple that are probably a Long Horn cross, and others that I have no idea what they are. My bulls are not top of the line, but they are good Black Angus bulls. As near as I my pea brain can figure out is that maybe it depends on the how the calves look at the sale, and the inputs that have been put into them. My calves have come off the desert looking very good the last few years.

I vaccinate at branding, pre-wean vaccination, deworm, and I also give my cows mineral once they come back to the farm in October, and they are on mineral until they go back out on the desert in June. The cows don't get any other feed than Alfalfa during the winter.

That is my 2cents worth, for what it is worth.

I always figured calves were fleshy, full, or fancy. So if a calf is not full or fleshy and is a reasonably healthy looking animal it must be fancy.

Admittedly I have not perused through all the contributions above but as regards the supposed value of black hided cattle
I have yet to meet the person who could tell you with a 100% accuracy the color of the animal by the taste of the meat.

There are probably grounds for one of the largest class action suits in the history of USA jurisprudence regarding the sale
of cattle based solely on the color of an animal being sold for human consumption.
Once this gets into court and the black hided proponents are required to convince the court that taste will identify color the
ruling will make [Brown vs. the BOE] look like a traffic offense.
ROFLMFAO!!!!! Lee, buddy, surely you meant this tounge in cheek?!!!

Why would you not want the maximum income from those minimal expenses? You don't necessarily need poor type cattle to do that.
And just what exactly is "poor type cattle "
Definition not only varies greatly by environment but by individual and market as well.
I have to chuckle at some of those posts by the same people over and over on here .
Claim brimmer cross cattle are awesome because they do great in a particular environment.
Yet those same people bash people for selecting cattle that do best in their environment and the market they are selling to.
Feed efficient cattle that mature between 1000-1200 lbs are horrible,
"mini" Cattle are horrible, don't even think about adding a highlander cross into your herd in the north to reduce feed cost, don't raise wagyu to sell direct to consumer or a known wagyu market., don't raise any type of cattle that aren't black even if you have a market for them.
Give me a break
Some people are as fanatical about the "correct type" of cattle to raise as they are about what vehicle manufacturer is best or even their religion.

You are right. I get tired of the belly-achers talking about their red, or white, or smoky calves getting "docked" Or " discounted". @50/50Farms , he is right. You will see this on a post every 2 weeks or so. " My red steers (or white, or any other color) were just as good if not better than those black ones. They brought $1.98 a pound and my good ( other coors brought $1.68. It is not fair for me to get "docked" 30 cents." Then will come comment after comment bashing AAA and the CAB program . They were NOT docked. They brought $1.68 because that what the best, top quality steers in that weight class brought. So did the blacks, only the buyers paid a $.30 PREMIUM for the black calves, figuring they would get CAB status at the processors And the processors, or packers some people call them, will pay that extra premium for a CAB qualified carcass. Are these "belly-achers really that stupid, that they think they should get the CAB premium for a red calf?!!! I agree with @J+Cattle, quit your bitching and buy black cattle, or just a homozygous for black and polled bull to use on your "other color cows".
WARREN... Buddy... of course they are getting docked.

You said it yourself. "They brought $1.68 because that what the best, top quality steers in that weight class brought. So did the blacks, only the buyers paid a $.30 PREMIUM for the black calves, figuring they would get CAB status... "

Do you honestly believe that the cuts selected for CAB are all from black hided cattle? You think some guy is marking the carcass as the hide comes off so that only black hided cattle go through all the different processing until a cut of meat ends up on a styrofoam tray wrapped in cellophane with a CAB label on it?

People are being cheated because it's in the interest of those doing the buying. They buy black cattle for market prices and ding everyone else that $0.30 a pound because they can. It's pure market manipulation keeping the price of what they acquire down so they get a bump in value from the non-black cattle they process.

If I was feeding and processing cattle, and I was honest, I'd avoid black hides like the plague and buy everything I could for $0.30 less a pound. But because it works in a buyers favor to pay CAB prices and then discount everything else the buyers at the sale barns are manipulated into paying lower prices.

Again... if someone did DNA tests on packages of meat in the stores with CAB labels, I'd bet the farm that there would be every breed and color represented in the same proportion to the cattle of all colors that grade Prime.

Admittedly I have not perused through all the contributions above but as regards the supposed value of black hided cattle
I have yet to meet the person who could tell you with a 100% accuracy the color of the animal by the taste of the meat.

There are probably grounds for one of the largest class action suits in the history of USA jurisprudence regarding the sale
of cattle based solely on the color of an animal being sold for human consumption.
Once this gets into court and the black hided proponents are required to convince the court that taste will identify color the
ruling will make [Brown vs. the BOE] look like a traffic offense.
I could not agree more...

See my above post.

Definition not only varies greatly by environment but by individual and market as well.
I have to chuckle at some of those posts by the same people over and over on here .
Claim brimmer cross cattle are awesome because they do great in a particular environment.
Yet those same people bash people for selecting cattle that do best in their environment and the market they are selling to.
"mini" Cattle are horrible, don't even think about adding a highlander cross into your herd in the north to reduce feed cost, don't raise wagyu to sell direct to consumer or a known wagyu market., don't raise any type of cattle that aren't black even if you have a market for them.
Give me a break
Some people are as fanatical about the "correct type" of cattle to raise as they are about what vehicle manufacturer is best or even their religion.
You are 100% right, Rmc. Mostly you see the northwestern and Canadian "experts" on here calling all cattle except
"their" cattle "inferior" or "poor type",etc. Most of what they have...and makes sense in places where they have more snow and cold weather than we have sunshine down here.. are Continental types: Charolais, Simmental, Limosin, Gelbiev, etc. Well, there is hardly anything "superior" about them, and in most of the country they won't bring as much as black cattle, except the ones like Simm and Lim, that have been "bred up" from Angus to turn them black. They may or may not "do better" than say Brangus, Braford, Charbray, Simbrah, Gerts or Beefmasters. From watching these forums, seems like the majority of these " cattle experts" don't have the innovative, forward-thinking, open -mindedness to have even tried. But none of the cattle any of these northern keyboard cowboys have would be worth a sh*t in the deep south. They would be "poor type" and any that might have survived in good enough condition to raise a calf in the swamps of Louisiana or Florida, or the sweltering 100% humidity and insects below the "gnat line"of south Ga or LA (lower Alabama), would bring cull prices and so would their calves. None of the Canadian Continentals, and most certainly not those " superior" Oregon cattle, with the "superior genes" they allegedly have because of climbing up and down hills, would survive, much less thrive, on the Corriente-Kudzu pasture in south Ga. If they lived past a month or so, they would be considered trash at the sales here, and fit for nothing but buzzard and coyote bait. Now up here in northern Ga and Alabama. Mississippi, Tennnesee, the Carolinas ...in the more temperate climate and excellent grass.... the Brahma composites will do as well or better than the coastal Brahams. The Continentals will do as well, actually better, than the northern ones, with no grain and a LOT less hay. And the Angus and Herefords are definitley as a whole, the best in the country.

Buying old bred cows at the sale I get calves of every color. This year I probably had more red and grey calves than black calves. Two of my size sorts of steers topped the sale when I sold and I am certain they weren't all black. And my heifers which sold right up there in the top, I had very few black heifers. Here good quality reds and Char cross calves sell right along with black calves.
The feedlots keep real good records. They know which breeds don't preform as well and thus will pay less for them. One of the advantages I have is being close to some big feeders. Thus I have buyers who work directly for the feedlots. I think the more you have that and less traders the better one does. Especially with good quality cattle that might not match the color requirement. The other thing to keep in mind is that although CAB does pay a premium it isn't that much. And not all black hided cattle will make CAB.

WARREN... Buddy... of course they are getting docked.

You said it yourself. "They brought $1.68 because that what the best, top quality steers in that weight class brought. So did the blacks, only the buyers paid a $.30 PREMIUM for the black calves, figuring they would get CAB status... "

Do you honestly believe that the cuts selected for CAB are all from black hided cattle? You think some guy is marking the carcass as the hide comes off so that only black hided cattle go through all the different processing until a cut of meat ends up on a styrofoam tray wrapped in cellophane with a CAB label on it?

People are being cheated because it's in the interest of those doing the buying. They buy black cattle for market prices and ding everyone else that $0.30 a pound because they can. It's pure market manipulation keeping the price of what they acquire down so they get a bump in value from the non-black cattle they process.

If I was feeding and processing cattle, and I was honest, I'd avoid black hides like the plague and buy everything I could for $0.30 less a pound. But because it works in a buyers favor to pay CAB prices and then discount everything else the buyers at the sale barns are manipulated into paying lower prices.

Again... if someone did DNA tests on packages of meat in the stores with CAB labels, I'd bet the farm that there would be every breed and color represented in the same proportion to the cattle of all colors that grade Prime.
Not getting docked at all. Why the hell would a buyer pay the same for hereford steer as an Angus, when it wonpt bring what the Angus brought at the processors. ANd the provv cessor damned sure aint gonna pay the same for a Heref9ord as the Angus, because Kroger, Longhorns, tec xas Roadhouse, Walmart , etc, is not going to give them the same for the meat as they do the CAB. CAB certification is done by USDA inspectors at the time the steer is killed and hung up to be gutted, his ear cut off, then skinned etc. The USDA inspectors certify the whole carcass. I suppose one could try to stamp a Charolais carcass CAB, but why the hell would he risk his government job to do that? Or the plant risk getting shut down by the USDA for that?

Again , these cows are not docked..,the black ones that buyers feel may achieve CAB status will bring a premium...a bonus...above what they will pay for the top steers that wont be CAB. and hey, sometimes a black one won't get CAB after it goes to the processor maybe due to marbling or one of the other 10 requirements CAB requires. If you want your calves to bring what the Angus calves bring then switch to Angus. Or at least Angus bulls. This was the whole intent behind the whole CAB program to start with.. a marketing strategy to get Here ford, Simm, or whaatever breeders to use angus bulls. If someone is in love with red breeds...think the Charolais is the greatest thing since sliced bread or peanut butter, then don't get all butt hurt when a buyer won't give you what he does for a black calf, when he knows good and well your calves will not attain the CAB premium at the processor.

Give me a break
IMO… poor type cattle, any breed or type that does not command the highest price in your area WITH least cost to get to market. It matters not what your calves weigh, it is the dollars per cow left in your pocket after the subtractions are made from your calf cheque. In this area those breeds are minis, Highland, dairy cross, Belted Galloway, Longhorn and Corrientes, and then move up to Speckled Park and Herefords. After that, pretty much any breed or crossbreed will sell well regardless of colour. Canada is not as caught up in the fad CAB has created as the US is. Good type Cattle that gain and grade well are all the same colour when the hide is off.

Not getting docked at all. Why the hell would a buyer pay the same for hereford steer as an Angus, when it wonpt bring what the Angus brought at the processors. ANd the provv cessor damned sure aint gonna pay the same for a Heref9ord as the Angus, because Kroger, Longhorns, tec xas Roadhouse, Walmart , etc, is not going to give them the same for the meat as they do the CAB. CAB certification is done by USDA inspectors at the time the steer is killed and hung up to be gutted, his ear cut off, then skinned etc. The USDA inspectors certify the whole carcass. I suppose one could try to stamp a Charolais carcass CAB, but why the hell would he risk his government job to do that? Or the plant risk getting shut down by the USDA for that?

Again , these cows are not docked..,the black ones that buyers feel may achieve CAB status will bring a premium...a bonus...above what they will pay for the top steers that wont be CAB. and hey, sometimes a black one won't get CAB after it goes to the processor maybe due to marbling or one of the other 10 requirements CAB requires. If you want your calves to bring what the Angus calves bring then switch to Angus. Or at least Angus bulls. This was the whole intent behind the whole CAB program to start with.. a marketing strategy to get Here ford, Simm, or whaatever breeders to use angus bulls. If someone is in love with red breeds...think the Charolais is the greatest thing since sliced bread or peanut butter, then don't get all butt hurt when a buyer won't give you what he does for a black calf, when he knows good and well your calves will not attain the CAB premium at the processor.
Well whether you call it being "docked" or being paid a "premium"... it amounts to the same thing.

And if the meat in the case with a CAB label was DNA tested I'd bet good money that there would be every breed and color represented in the same proportion to the cattle of all colors that grade Prime.

CAB is ruining the beef industry by creating less genetic diversity... and it's cheating a lot of people of the true value of their animals.

You are 100% right, Rmc. Mostly you see the northwestern and Canadian "experts" on here calling all cattle except
"their" cattle "inferior" or "poor type",etc. Most of what they have...and makes sense in places where they have more snow and cold weather than we have sunshine down here.. are Continental types: Charolais, Simmental, Limosin, Gelbiev, etc. Well, there is hardly anything "superior" about them, and in most of the country they won't bring as much as black cattle, except the ones like Simm and Lim, that have been "bred up" from Angus to turn them black. They may or may not "do better" than say Brangus, Braford, Charbray, Simbrah, Gerts or Beefmasters. From watching these forums, seems like the majority of these " cattle experts" don't have the innovative, forward-thinking, open -mindedness to have even tried. But none of the cattle any of these northern keyboard cowboys have would be worth a sh*t in the deep south. They would be "poor type" and any that might have survived in good enough condition to raise a calf in the swamps of Louisiana or Florida, or the sweltering 100% humidity and insects below the "gnat line"of south Ga or LA (lower Alabama), would bring cull prices and so would their calves. None of the Canadian Continentals, and most certainly not those " superior" Oregon cattle, with the "superior genes" they allegedly have because of climbing up and down hills, would survive, much less thrive, on the Corriente-Kudzu pasture in south Ga. If they lived past a month or so, they would be considered trash at the sales here, and fit for nothing but buzzard and coyote bait. Now up here in northern Ga and Alabama. Mississippi, Tennnesee, the Carolinas ...in the more temperate climate and excellent grass.... the Brahma composites will do as well or better than the coastal Brahams. The Continentals will do as well, actually better, than the northern ones, with no grain and a LOT less hay. And the Angus and Herefords are definitley as a whole, the best in the country.
You are so full of it the brown runs off your fingers to the typing keys. For an individual who has in the past claimed he has never been a cow man, now is a biker, sometime a cutter or a team roper, big businessman that granddaddy paid the education for, my opinion of you gets less with every paragraph of malarkey you post. I believe you are a never has been that never will be. The term Foghorn Leghorn was given to another that was very much like you so we will have to deliberate on your handle a little more. You remind me of a little Yosemite Sam.

We all know about the CAB program.
The question I have is why hasn't anyone questioned it from the standpoint of what about Red Angus, they are supposed to be the same thing. Rumor has it they are more pure Angus than todays black Angus.
We've processed both purebred Angus and Hereford and I can assure ya that there is no discernible difference, it's both great. It looks the same, tastes the same, and surprise surprise it's marbled the same.

The question I have is why hasn't anyone questioned it from the standpoint of what about Red Angus, they are supposed to be the same thing. Rumor has it they are more pure Angus than todays black Angus.
We've processed both purebred Angus and Hereford and I can assure ya that there is no discernible difference, it's both great. It looks the same, tastes the same, and surprise surprise it's marbled the same.
Up here when someone say Angus cattle they are assumed referring to both red and black unless specifically noted otherwise. It's a single breed association.

Up here when someone say Angus cattle they are assumed referring to both red and black unless specifically noted otherwise. It's a single breed association.
As it should be. Although at this point in time the Red Angus folks are probably better off staying here on their own.

Last edited:
IMO… poor type cattle, any breed or type that does not command the highest price in your area WITH least cost to get to market. It matters not what your calves weigh, it is the dollars per cow left in your pocket after the subtractions are made from your calf cheque.
That's an interesting point of view.
So the financial and marketing choices of the owner determines if it is a good quality or poor quality cattle?

Well whether you call it being "docked" or being paid a "premium"... it amounts to the same thing.

And if the meat in the case with a CAB label was DNA tested I'd bet good money that there would be every breed and color represented in the same proportion to the cattle of all colors that grade Prime.

CAB is ruining the beef industry by creating less genetic diversity... and it's cheating a lot of people of the true value of their animals.
DNA test? Sure it will show DNA from other breeds. Like I said, several breeds have used Angus to upgrade their animals to have black coats. Dunno what a DNA that would have to do with the CAB qualifications. You need to go read the 10 requirements. It hasn't ruined a thing..it has dramatically increased the demand for Angus cattle and dramatically increased the price for Angus cattle. Dole and Del Monte both advertise their pineapple is best. So does Maxwell House and Folgers coffee. And most beef breeders Associations will advertise their beef is the best..Some just do a better job than others. and one, the AAA, did it head over heels better than the rest. Frankly up until the 80's, Angus was the best tasting, marbled just right, beef cattle. Only an idiot would argue that. And yes, now that a lot of the breeds are part angus, you have , say, Simmental that marbles well. So as the advertising agency for AAA went around convincing super market chains and restaurant chains to use only angus beef, and ran ads to the general public telling them to ask for Angus beef, then they told the wholesale distributors and chains that they had devised a way to make sure that they KNEW they WERE getting the Angus beef they were paying a premium for. and spent millions getting USDA to let them pay for inspectors to certify, patent the labels and trade marks , etc. Anyone packaging or selling beef that is not CAB as CAB faces government regulatory penalties, possible criminal charges, and definitely severe civil liability. Some loony tunes on here...have to look back and see who....thought people who had red or white cows could file a class action law suit against AAA, because their cattle couldn't get CAB certified! I have searched the Constitution over and there is no right to have your off breed cattle classified as certified Angus any where in it!! I mean, buyers are free to pay more for non-Angus cattle if they want to..nobody is stopping them. Processors are free to pay more or as much for non-Angus as they want to, and are free to price it to stores and restaurants and whole sale food distributors for the same price if they could. Ingles is free to package it as "non-CAB beef",
Or CMB, Certified Mutt Beef, or even CWTHKWKOCB...Certified Who The Hell Knows What Kind Of Cattle Beef. And best of all, and why I love this country, any producer is free to produce black caves if he wants to.

A prime example of sucessful marketing is Harley Davidson. And it just occurred to me, that Wyagu has patterned their program after Harley's. There is not a more expensive and poorer quality motorcy7cle on the market than Harlley. It is 20 years behind the Big 4 ( Honda, Yamaha Suzuki and Kawasaki) in technology It isnt even the best american V Twin, Indian is. But there are advertising, marketing geniuses, coercing people into buying Harley clothes and boots joining HOG, paying predatory prices for their gear, parts and labor. And if you own one, you better have a TON of money to try to keep the damn thing running. I hate working on stuff, so I won't keep one for my personal bike t right. I just buy them ever once in a while when someone is about to have it reposessed, and keep my fingers crossed and pray til I get it sold. I want to ride when I have free time, not turn wrenches. I rode mostly Honda V-twins.. For now my favorite is a VTX1800. I buy gas, oil, tires every 8-10k miles, , and a battery every 3 years , and that is all. If a Honda V-twin cost as much as a Harley, and a Harley was as cheap as Honda, I would still ride a Honda. No need in other dealerships bitching and moaning for what a Harley sells for...they can sell them if they want to.

DNA test? Sure it will show DNA from other breeds. Like I said, several breeds have used Angus to upgrade their animals to have black coats. Dunno what a DNA that would have to do with the CAB qualifications. You need to go read the 10 requirements. It hasn't ruined a thing..it has dramatically increased the demand for Angus cattle and dramatically increased the price for Angus cattle. Dole and Del Monte both advertise their pineapple is best. So does Maxwell House and Folgers coffee. And most beef breeders Associations will advertise their beef is the best..Some just do a better job than others. and one, the AAA, did it head over heels better than the rest. Frankly up until the 80's, Angus was the best tasting, marbled just right, beef cattle. Only an idiot would argue that. And yes, now that a lot of the breeds are part angus, you have , say, Simmental that marbles well. So as the advertising agency for AAA went around convincing super market chains and restaurant chains to use only angus beef, and ran ads to the general public telling them to ask for Angus beef, then they told the wholesale distributors and chains that they had devised a way to make sure that they KNEW they WERE getting the Angus beef they were paying a premium for. and spent millions getting USDA to let them pay for inspectors to certify, patent the labels and trade marks , etc. Anyone packaging or selling beef that is not CAB as CAB faces government regulatory penalties, possible criminal charges, and definitely severe civil liability. Some loony tunes on here...have to look back and see who....thought people who had red or white cows could file a class action law suit against AAA, because their cattle couldn't get CAB certified! I have searched the Constitution over and there is no right to have your off breed cattle classified as certified Angus any where in it!! I mean, buyers are free to pay more for non-Angus cattle if they want to..nobody is stopping them. Processors are free to pay more or as much for non-Angus as they want to, and are free to price it to stores and restaurants and whole sale food distributors for the same price if they could. Ingles is free to package it as "non-CAB beef",
Or CMB, Certified Mutt Beef, or even CWTHKWKOCB...Certified Who The Hell Knows What Kind Of Cattle Beef. And best of all, and why I love this country, any producer is free to produce black caves if he wants to.

A prime example of sucessful marketing is Harley Davidson. And it just occurred to me, that Wyagu has patterned their program after Harley's. There is not a more expensive and poorer quality motorcy7cle on the market than Harlley. It is 20 years behind the Big 4 ( Honda, Yamaha Suzuki and Kawasaki) in technology It isnt even the best american V Twin, Indian is. But there are advertising, marketing geniuses, coercing people into buying Harley clothes and boots joining HOG, paying predatory prices for their gear, parts and labor. And if you own one, you better have a TON of money to try to keep the damn thing running. I hate working on stuff, so I won't keep one for my personal bike t right. I just buy them ever once in a while when someone is about to have it reposessed, and keep my fingers crossed and pray til I get it sold. I want to ride when I have free time, not turn wrenches. I rode mostly Honda V-twins.. For now my favorite is a VTX1800. I buy gas, oil, tires every 8-10k miles, , and a battery every 3 years , and that is all. If a Honda V-twin cost as much as a Harley, and a Harley was as cheap as Honda, I would still ride a Honda. No need in other dealerships bitching and moaning for what a Harley sells for...they can sell them if they want to.
Oxy has been successfully marketed too.

Well CAB is an advertising campaign of the AAA. Here in our country Red angus are registered in the Red Angus Association of America....a separate organization. About a year ago, Dec of 2021, RAAA petitioned the USDA to allow the participation of Red Angus in Angus beef programs. There are many programs in addition to CAB. The USDA granted approval, and developed the requirements for Red Angus cattle to be certified in any of these programs that wanted them, It is up to that program to request the inclusion of Red Angus in their program, and the USDA will assist a program in re-writing their criteria. Dunno if CAB has requested it or not. I don't see how it would benefit the AAA to do so. You can breed a reg Red Angus to a reg Black Angus, and the calf can be reg in the RAAA, The calf will be black, and therefor already be CAB qualified.

Latest posts