Loner yearling bull

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbluegrass

Reaction score
I put a yearling bull out with the cows last week. He was new to them. There was a cow in standing heat when we let him off the trailer. I was surprised he never went to check her out or check the other cows. He just kept his distance from everyone. Meanwhile the boss cow was riding the cow in heat like a rented mule. Every time the young bull would head in that direction, the boss cow would throw her head his way and he would run away. So do I have a gay bull and lesbian cows or what is going on here? I realize the cows are bigger than him, since he is young and not done growing, but wouldn't you think he would at least make a little more effort to get in there? When I put some corn in the feeder, he sure went at that and never paid any attention to the old boss cow. The whole thing seemed very odd. I got rid of the old bull with slaughter prices being up. I was hoping this guy would fill in. Maybe he is just a private breeder and it made him nervous I was watching? I suppose I will find out in a month if all the cows are back in heat again.

I wouldn't worry about him just yet. My In-Law's just sold off their old bull and brought in a yearling for a replacement, and the new bull acted similar to yours. When he was unloaded he went right by the cows and started pacing around the perimeter of the fence checking everything out. It took him a day or two to settle down and start checking the cows out. One of the cows came in heat a few days later and he was ready to take care of things then. Most times a cow in heat will make them stop in their tracks, but I think sometimes hauling them gets em all out of sorts and they just take off once that trailer door opens and they just need some time to settle down, especially with a younger bull. You may have to keep an eye on that boss cow if she's real aggressive like that with the other cows in heat. She might hurt him when he tries to breed them. I'd say once he gets his place at the top in the pecking order that cow won't bother him anymore. I bet he'll find a way to get those cows bred even if he has to sneak around that ol boss cow for a little bit. ;-)

AJ, thanks for your comments. I think you are right. They have all settled down. The last few days they have all been grazing as a herd again. I was a bit worried, since I thought he would be more.. well I guess I was expecting him to act like the old bull. I think he just got off the trailer in a new place and had to take some time before he was ready to get in the middle of the mess. I didn't help that the cows were all stirred up already with the one in heat. I hope he will be OK, just have to keep an eye on him and the ol boss cow.

My GV bull did the same thing. He is fine now and takes care of business. We haven't seen any repeat heats since turning him out with the cows. When we first got him and upon delivery he got his tail kicked by the cows pretty good and he tried to establish dominance on us. A few taps on the nose and a swift kick in the butt and he learned we were boss and now he is perfectly content and respectful of our space.

Latest posts