linebred angus herds (problems)

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I know there arent that many linebred angus herds around me but I cant help but think that if there were they may not have all the genetic problems they are facing now. How did these problems stay hidden or not talked about so long then all of a sudden boom we have a huge problem. Was it because everyone was turning there head hoping it would go away or just blaming it on one time thing and not give it a second thought?

I think I have ask this before but the search I did didnt come up with any thing. Are there any linebred angus heards like the lents and miles city hereford herds? IF so did how have they done since all this?
And why arent their many angus herds like this? Couldnt a ranch with line bred angus bulls that were gentically free of defects sell alot of bulls right now?

I think it was swept under the rug so they could ride the gravy train as long as possible. All of the herds that I am aware of have outside genetics in them. Probably one of the closest to a closed herd is the Wye cattle, but I wouldn't go rushing to them just yet, we still have Fawn Calf to deal with and they don't know how far back it went. I have traced it to one bull, but I will leave it at that for now. :cowboy:

If you want unregistered angus, Shoshone has a fairly closed herd.

036 was tested in Oz by mating his daughters and determined to be defect free, I'm certainly glad I chose to stick with that line when I started.

RD-Sam":axg3bvdi said:
If you want unregistered angus, Shoshone has a fairly closed herd.
fairly?

and just because someone has a closed herd doesn't mean it's linebred... look at pinebank.

JHH":1ghl5obx said:
And why arent their many angus herds like this? Couldnt a ranch with line bred angus bulls that were gentically free of defects sell alot of bulls right now?

it basically comes down to 90% of the Angus seedstock producers playing a numbers game and the only way to inflate your numbers like everybody else is to get an outlier from an outcross by breeding someone else's outlier out of an outcross. how exciting do you think it is to try to remove the problems and outliers (top and bottom) while using your own animals year after year?

for the record, if a "breeder" outcrosses regularly, they are off my list. (...there arent many on my list to begin with so maybe that means nothing.)

alacattleman":39s7enji said:
probably because of the multiplied billions of angus genetics out there

i tried to figure out what this means, but it has escaped me.

KMacGinley":s86uv55j said:
Not really sure, but I heard a rumor that Ohlde Cattle company may do a little linebreeding. :)

I figured as much by looking at your bull. He sure is nice for a black one.

You know alacattleman, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE BLACK ANGUS,just say so....Quit beating around the bush....

The reason there are so many black angus, is because They are a very good breed....Prehaps the best.....

So why do you not be nice? Envy ? Or just a pain in the but? BOTH?

If you want to make pot shot, shoot my way, I like to shoot back....By the way, what every breed of cattle you raise, will be improved if you use a Black Angus bull......

alftn":12dgpfu2 said:
You know alacattleman, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE BLACK ANGUS,just say so....Quit beating around the bush....

The reason there are so many black angus, is because They are a very good breed....Prehaps the best.....

So why do you not be nice? Envy ? Or just a pain in the but? BOTH?

If you want to make pot shot, shoot my way, I like to shoot back....By the way, what every breed of cattle you raise, will be improved if you use a Black Angus bull......
ive got mostly angus influenced cattle now using a angus bull ,, i was originally joking,,, but by all means, shoot away ill hang with you ..count on it :cowboy:

I know a guy who used to use a lot of Black Angus bulls. He is a top notch cow man. Only buys the best. He told me the reason they sell so many is because you can't keep the SOB's sound. He now runs all Red Angus and says they are many times better cattle than the Black Angus.

40-4171":tcjtifwk said:
I know a guy who used to use a lot of Black Angus bulls. He is a top notch cow man. Only buys the best. He told me the reason they sell so many is because you can't keep the SOB's sound. He now runs all Red Angus and says they are many times better cattle than the Black Angus.
I was talking to Clint Berry the commercial marketing director from the Red Angus association and he said the single biggest complaint he hears about Red Angus is feet. We haven;t had a problem with feet but we are real sticklers about foot and leg structure on the cows and whatever we market as breeders.

The feet are a real problem with Angus. But also if you are running them in large bunches in the winter they have a much higher rate if non-breeding injuries. What causes this is that they never quit fighting and settle their disputes. With the constant battles going someone is bound to get hurt. The only bulls that settle their differences and then stay clear of one another are horned Herefords. To me it has to do with the decisiveness of the armament.

Another problem we have with the blacks is quitting the cows and stopping any breeding when it gets hot in the desert mountains. They pull off and hole up in a brush patch fairly near water and you play h*ll getting them out and headed home. Even the 8 dogs don't work. The only thing is a 410. Usually a couple of shots at their heels and they seem to immediately remember where home is and the shortest straightest route to get there.

In my memory the only Hereford bull we lost to injury was a broken penis. Never any injuries to the legs or hips. No stiffles and without foot rot no feet problems. We want to use only blacks because of the market but have to leave some Herefords out there or have a bunch of late or open cows due to the heat abandonment issue.

We had a neighbor that was a pretty large Angus breeder by the name of Foote and the feet were so bad that he got the nickname "Bad Footes".

Another thing I have noticed is that there is a very large size difference in Angus cattle that are bred alike. I looked at a couple of bunches of cows lately and couldn't get over the variations in size of like bred and raised cattle.

it gets about as hot here as they can stand, my bull's have their work done by june.... then have the rest of the summer and dog days too stand in the shade . but it seem's the angus bulls had rather fight than breed.. the very first angus i used, years ago i borrowed from a friend out of desperation,, cause my simm i was using at that time came up lame.. the second day he was there he killed my neighbors yearlin' charolais bull.. didnt get any calves from him, plus had to buy a new bull, and pay neighbor for his

For the range cows in the Mojave desert we either used a Gert or straight Brhaman

There has been an increase in interest in the remaining heritage Angus to improve the problems resulting from chasing fads over the years, most of the sales from the herd are to grass based systems.
Back in the harsh bushveld environment of my home country, Angus couldn't cope and were only bred on farms and ranches in the cooler higher altitude areas, we mostly bred native strains of cattle adapted to the heat, parasites and diseases of our environment.
Where specific traits were required (as in CAB) crosses are bred to meet market requirements without compromising the breeding herd adaptability, the Sussex was the most popular British breed for our area, most others didn't cope.

dun":1wq4l1wb said:
For the range cows in the Mojave desert we either used a Gert or straight Brhaman

They are probably best for that. When we bought this ranch there were a lot of cows here that had a little ear but the only problem was disposition.

Idaman":2g49dly5 said:
dun":2g49dly5 said:

They are probably best for that. When we bought this ranch there were a lot of cows here that had a little ear but the only problem was disposition.
yeah you'll get a little of that :cowboy:

alacattleman":3stgz8kj said:
Idaman":3stgz8kj said:
dun":3stgz8kj said:

yeah you'll get a little of that :cowboy:
Another reason I stayed with Tuli for hot environments with parasite and disease challanges, my disabled son has always helped with them safely.

Latest posts