linebred angus herds (problems)

Help Support CattleToday:

alftn":34vy0611 said:
You know alacattleman, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE BLACK ANGUS,just say so....Quit beating around the bush....

The reason there are so many black angus, is because They are a very good breed....Prehaps the best.....

So why do you not be nice? Envy ? Or just a pain in the but? BOTH?

If you want to make pot shot, shoot my way, I like to shoot back....By the way, what every breed of cattle you raise, will be improved if you use a Black Angus bull......

What.........are you related to Frankie?

Black Angus is not the cure all. Any reputable breeder would never make a statement like that.

How many of you have had bulls with shoes put on their feet in order for them to get around better on rough ground? I have seen this done on some bulls in BC and Idaho. How well does it work? Will it compensate for bad feet?
The pressure to get the highest performance bulls possible is in my opinion the reason for bad feet in some Angus. I have seen some yearling bulls kept back due to their growth only no consideration was given to the condition of their feet. Before looking at the EPDs or the scale functionality should have been looked at and acted on. It also did not help that these bulls were fed to maximize growth-longevity take the hind most.

The only time I've seen shoes were on oxen working in real roccky gorund

The recent Red Angus Osteopetrosis was originated in a Shoshone Black Angus Bull. A friend of ours raised the Red Angus and was line breeding when a huge majority of his calves were born dead with this genetic defect.
Valerie

No not keen to Frankie, although Frankie makes more sence than most on this board....

No Black angus aint perfect, But the cross well with most things.. I anit no breeder, hello I am a novicest, I retain heifers, I use a polled hereford bulls

And yes I think The BLACK ANGUS BREED IS THE BASIC OF THE U.S.A. CATTLE HERDS.....not the best? Alot of people sure have them....

SHORTHORNS are am fav. to bad they look so much like longhorns (their color) ....and are hard to come by in this part of the country......30 or so years ago I thought the Shorthorn was goin to greatly expand, guess not....

Hard to beat F-1 blackie baldies.......for moms

vclavin":psyb07wv said:
The recent Red Angus Osteopetrosis was originated in a Shoshone Black Angus Bull. A friend of ours raised the Red Angus and was line breeding when a huge majority of his calves were born dead with this genetic defect.
Valerie

when did Shoshone cattle have Osteoporosis problems?

vclavin":1l0irjsa said:
was line breeding when a huge majority of his calves were born dead with this genetic defect.

then linebreeding saved him a lot of years wasted on a herd of carriers.

Aero":ptkwqkz5 said:
vclavin":ptkwqkz5 said:
Valerie

Osteopetrosis (OS)

dun":3jiy0bmi said:
40-4171":3jiy0bmi said:
I know a guy who used to use a lot of Black Angus bulls. He is a top notch cow man. Only buys the best. He told me the reason they sell so many is because you can't keep the SOB's sound. He now runs all Red Angus and says they are many times better cattle than the Black Angus.
I was talking to Clint Berry the commercial marketing director from the Red Angus association and he said the single biggest complaint he hears about Red Angus is feet. We haven;t had a problem with feet but we are real sticklers about foot and leg structure on the cows and whatever we market as breeders.

Feet and leg problems hurt the Simmental breed back in the late 80s. There were more post legged straight shouldered Simmies running around then than you could shake a stick at. I think the breed has beat that problem but a lot of commercial cattlemen get something stuck in their mind and it stays with them.

Brandonm22 - yes you are sooooo right. We never had that big a problem, but we culled VERY hard on structure clear back in '70. It was embarassing (sp?) to see some of them tho. You know - it's YOUR breed & you want ALL of them to be great. Post legged was the biggest problem - maybe that's why I criticize all cattle so hard on post legged-ness. I sure do know what they LOOK LIKE :shock:

Aero":2tpykjvu said:
vclavin":2tpykjvu said:
Valerie

Awe, must be a crippling blow to you and Mike. :secret: Don't ask, don't tell. :D

vclavin":1kdvrzel said:
AAA 8524408

Shoshone Titan was a carrier, I was told he was the start of the defect.
Valerie

Well looky there, more of the fantastic Wye line. :cowboy:

RD-Sam":17lgo6m1 said:
Aero":17lgo6m1 said:
vclavin":17lgo6m1 said:
Valerie

Awe, must be a crippling blow to you and Mike. :secret: Don't ask, don't tell. :D

nothing we didnt know. i was going to be rude but changed my mind.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":39z8imjl said:
Brandonm22 - yes you are sooooo right. We never had that big a problem, but we culled VERY hard on structure clear back in '70. It was embarassing (sp?) to see some of them tho. You know - it's YOUR breed & you want ALL of them to be great. Post legged was the biggest problem - maybe that's why I criticize all cattle so hard on post legged-ness. I sure do know what they LOOK LIKE :shock:

Simmental was not the only breed that produced post legged individuals during the great frame race as straightening all the flex and give out of the structure is the fastest and easiest way to jump a frame score; but they were the poster child for the problem. We had a lot of breeders around here that were breeding a post legged, yellow, broke color pattern, dairyish, frame 8, flat ribbed, cow back then. Most of them went out of the breeder business.

Latest posts