Changing herds?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nope. They are as legit as Brangus, Braford, Simmental, Charolais etc. They don't need AHA to recognize them. They have their own registry for over 35 years now, same as Brangus and Simmental does. AAA doesn't recognize Brangus, SimmAngus, Chi-Angus or Red Angus, but that doesn't make those breeds "snake oil".
Not really they bring nothing to the table. You gained virtually nothing with the English English composite.
You have lost the hybrid vigor of Brahman/English or Continental cross
Just like you lost the Continental/ English cross.
The only cross worse is Angus/ Shorthorn and that's just science.

You didn't put the breeding program in neutral you stripped the transmission.

Snake oil for black hair.
Buy an Angus or Brangus and get some real genetic benefit.

Nope. They are as legit as Brangus, Braford, Simmental, Charolais etc. They don't need AHA to recognize them. They have their own registry for over 35 years now, same as Brangus and Simmental does. AAA doesn't recognize Brangus, SimmAngus, Chi-Angus or Red Angus, but that doesn't make those breeds "snake oil".
They're as legit as Brangus or Braford... but not any of the legitimate, real breeds like Simmental or Charolais... or Hereford. Just one more crossbreed that has been allowed to pollute the validity of legitimate registries and make it harder for the industry as a whole. Not exactly snake oil... but certainly not the same as breeds with consistency and dependability within a breed as they evolve over hundreds of years in a common goal.

They're as legit as Brangus or Braford... but not any of the legitimate, real breeds like Simmental or Charolais... or Hereford. Just one more crossbreed that has been allowed to pollute the validity of legitimate registries and make it harder for the industry as a whole. Not exactly snake oil... but certainly not the same as breeds with consistency and dependability within a breed as they evolve over hundreds of years in a common goal.
Wrong again. Black Herefords are as high as 63/64ths Hereford. Much higher percentage Hereford than Simmental are Simmental, or Charolais are Charolais. Both of those just have to be 7/8ths or more to be registered. In my lifetime, or at least as early as the 70's, Charolais, Simmental and Chiania semen were used to breed all kinds of cows, even grade cows, and the calf could be registered. They called this " breed up" programs. Simmental have as much if not more, Angus blood in them as today's Black Herefords do. Brangus and Braford are NOT crossbreds, They have their own DNA. A Brangus x Brangus is a Brangus. Brangus have been a recognized breed since 1949 and Braford since 1947. Over 20 years before there were "bred up" Charolais or Simmental here.

Last edited:
Wrong again. Black Herefords are as high as 63/64ths Hereford. Much higher percentage Hereford than Simmental are Simmental, or Charolais are Charolais. Both of those just have to be 7/8ths or more to be registered. In my lifetime, or at least as early as the 70's, Charolais, Simmental and Chiania semen were used to breed all kinds of cows, even grade cows, and the calf could be registered. They called this " breed up" programs. Simmental have as much if not more, Angus blood in them as today's Black Herefords do. Brangus and Braford are NIOT crossbreds, They have their own DNA., A Brangus x Brangus is a Brangus. Brangus have been a recognized breed since 1949 and Braford since 1947. OPver 20 years before there were "bred up" Charolais or Simmental here.
Can't speak for the others but Charolais bulls can't be registered unless the dam is atleast 15/16 and the calf has to be sired by a purebred bull which in the Charolais breed is considered the next generation beyond 15/16.
Those percentage females were recorded but were not used to sell registered percentage offspring. There's no marketing for percentage Charolais from the association it was just as the term implies breeding up ie breeding up to purebred status which according to them is considered 31/32. At 15/16 a female can be used and considered as a purebred because her calves will be 31/32.

I did exactly what you have asked about. I raise my own butcher calves. I started with Charolais. Wanted a RA to give me yellow butcher beef. I changed every animal to RA. Bought 3 in 1 sexed bred heifers. That gave me 3 cows from that line. Took longer to get what I wanted. But, ya know $. Culled when they were ready. All uniform and I am very happy with the results.

Wrong again.

Just because you think your right... it doesn't make you right.

Black Herefords are as high as 63/64ths Hereford.

And that proves my point. They are percentage crossbreeds.

Much higher percentage Hereford than Simmental are Simmental, or Charolais are Charolais.

Horse manure. Percentage cattle are all crossbreeds. And when good breeds accept anything but pure blood they are just becoming cross breeds themselves.

and the calf could be registered. They called this " breed up" programs.

Yup... and a crossbreed by any other name is still a crossbreed. One of the worst things ever done in the cattle industry. Former purebreeders are rolling over in their graves.

Not really they bring nothing to the table. You gained virtually nothing with the English English composite.
You have lost the hybrid vigor of Brahman/English or Continental cross
Just like you lost the Continental/ English cross.
The only cross worse is Angus/ Shorthorn and that's just science.

You didn't put the breeding program in neutral you stripped the transmission.

Snake oil for black hair.
Buy an Angus or Brangus and get some real genetic benefit.
Actually, you are dead wrong on that too. For starters, Black Hereford are not composites. No more than Simmental, Limousine, Gelbeiv and Charolais are. They are an improved version of Hereford. Much like today's black Simms are an improved version of the Simmental (Fleckveih) that first came here and are still bred in Europe. And today's American Charolais vs the cow-killers that first came here in the 60's. There are no two Bos Taurus breeds with less shared DNA than Angus and Hereford. There is more shared DNA between Continental breeds and Angus, and continental breeds and Hereford, than there is between Herf and Ang This is why the black baldy has been such a popular cross. It achieves maximum hybrid vigor. No 2 bos taurus breeds are further apart than Angus and Hereford. Angus and Black Hereford crosses have the same hybrid vigor, because Black Hereford and red Hereford have nearly the same DNA make up, About like Simental and Fleckveih. Bos Indicus cattle, have absolutely no shared DNA with any Bos Taurus breed, so that is why those crosses achieve the max hybrid vigor. Developing the Black Hereford has NOT lost the hybrid vigor of Brahman/English or Continental cross. Nor has it lost the Continental/ English cross. The best Brahma x bos taurus cross for maximum heterosis is Brah x Herf. 2nd best is Bra x shorthorn and 3rd best is Br x Angus. 4th is the 1st Continental on the Brahma cross scale, Br x Charolais . Brah x Black Hereford gives you the exact amount of heterosis as a Br x red Hereford does. If Black Herefords are "Snake oil for black hair." then Simmental, Lims, and Gelbs are too., maybe even more so.

Can't speak for the others but Charolais bulls can't be registered unless the dam is atleast 15/16 and the calf has to be sired by a purebred bull which in the Charolais breed is considered the next generation beyond 15/16.
Those percentage females were recorded but were not used to sell registered percentage offspring. There's no marketing for percentage Charolais from the association it was just as the term implies breeding up ie breeding up to purebred status which according to them is considered 31/32. At 15/16 a female can be used and considered as a purebred because her calves will be 31/32.
bout the same percentage Charolais as Black Herefords are Hereford.

Go ahead now and buy ever how many red angus cows you can for the $14k. Then, whenever you sell calves, or cull cows or those 6 heifers, etc, buy more red angus with the money til you get how ever many you want. Lots of red Angus here in the southeast for sale. And, you can go all red Angus cows without having to give up money due to non-black calves at sale time. Just breed them with a homozygous for black bull. Black baldies are a very popular cross breed that bring as much per pound as solid blacks do. Some people put Angus bulls on Hereford cows to get them ( cheapest way), and some put Hereford bulls on Angus cows ( more expensive way) to get them. But I have 2 clients that are putting homo-for-black Black Hereford bulls on red Angus cows. The RA cows cost less than Angus cows, and not much more than Herefords. And the BH bulls are cheaper than Angus bulls, not much more than a red Hereford bull costs. One dude also buys red & white Braford cows as well. The other one has black Angus cows too. You can not tell the calves with red mommas from those with black mommas. The only thing is, if you wanted to keep heifers, the red angus's heifers would be hetero for black, where as the ones from the black angus would be homozygous for black.
This is the route I think I landed on. Not so much financial risk. But basically I'm going to keep my cows at least through calving. Cull a few there possibly then before summer. But originally I thought I needed to buy the whole 18hd. Today I ask to buy 12, he agreed. So I'm looking to basically trade my rep heifers and the cash for 12 3-5yr old cows, there's only 1 6 yr old and I can pick my 12. So I think this is best of both worlds. My friends with the great red angus herd will sell me heifers. So this way I'll get a jump out of these 12 and gradually build off the friends herd. Hopefully by the time prices fall again I'll be fully stocked and a younger herd for years to come. Yet get all the good out of my current best cows

I like being able to tell my cows apart, but I do like them uniform enough they match.. I found that you don't even really have to stay with a single breed to do that if you don't want to, but you should have the same criteria across breeds

Wrong again the Brangus and Branford's were created standardized composite to fill a need. LSU created Brangus to help cattlemen in southern climates to produce better cattle in an environment where English and Continental cattle couldn't thrive due to heat and parasites.They needed something other than longhorn.
Shanghai Pierce recognized this due to parasitic problems in subtropical climates and started importing Brahman.
They weren't created to try and line pockets for black hair. It was about producing more pounds of beef in harsh environments. Black Herefords were created to fool gullible cattlemen IMO.
If they really brought something to the table they wouldn't be a niche breed that needed a salesman like P.T. Barnum to push them. Heck you can find more Dexters than a paper black Hereford.
American Charolais are bred up from Brahman to a standard as well . This was brought on by an import embargo on them from nearly 100 years ago from hoof and mouth disease.
Again ranchers saw the benefits of infusing Continental genetics into their cattle not an English to English cross that brings nothing to the table other than black hair.
Nuff said.

Wrong again the Brangus and Branford's were created standardized composite to fill a need. LSU created Brangus to help cattlemen in southern climates to produce better cattle in an environment where English and Continental cattle couldn't thrive due to heat and parasites.They needed something other than longhorn.
Shanghai Pierce recognized this due to parasitic problems in subtropical climates and started importing Brahman.
They weren't created to try and line pockets for black hair. It was about producing more pounds of beef in harsh environments. Black Herefords were created to fool gullible cattlemen IMO.
If they really brought something to the table they wouldn't be a niche breed that needed a salesman like P.T. Barnum to push them. Heck you can find more Dexters than a paper black Hereford.
American Charolais are bred up from Brahman to a standard as well . This was brought on by an import embargo on them from nearly 100 years ago from hoof and mouth disease.
Again ranchers saw the benefits of infusing Continental genetics into their cattle not an English to English cross that brings nothing to the table other than black hair.
Nuff said.
Boy, people sure like to throw that "wrong" word around as though my criteria for what a legitimate breed is somehow less valid than theirs is... when both ideas are opinions.

You guys can breed a German shepherd to a goat and call it an Angus if you want to, but I'm not gonna do it. All cattle started out with crossbreeding... but it was once standard practice to close off any outside sources for genetics once a standard was established and the breed had enough population to remain viable. I'll stick with that definition, thank you very much. One of my favorite crosses is Bramousin but they are crossbreeds whether "registered" or not... until they become standardized and close their genetic pool off. Beefmaster, IMO, are still pretty questionable unless you want to define them as a "breed" with no consistency. Personally I love the effort but consider it failed. Any breed with that much variation within a registry is more than a little suspect for my tastes. And that's not to say I haven't seen some great Beefmasters... but only individuals. You get a bunch of them together and that all goes out the window.

This thread is supposed to be about giving thoughts/advice about changing a herd.
We have heard this argument/opinion numerous times.
Keep us posted on your RedAngus adventure. Remember, embryos can be a quick, cheap way to increase your numbers.
I totally agree with your choice to buy pregnant cows!

And that is exactly how they hoodwinked the American public with the whole "Certified Angus" campaign.
100% agree. I'm using black sim angus bulls and will continue in these red angus. See how I like them, however long term I plan to try a red angus bull and a Hereford. The red angus for replacements. The Hereford for those baldies ppl pay top end for. I use 2 bulls anyway.
This thread is supposed to be about giving thoughts/advice about changing a herd.
We have heard this argument/opinion numerous times.
Keep us posted on your RedAngus adventure. Remember, embryos can be a quick, cheap way to increase your numbers.
I totally agree with your choice to buy pregnant cows!
Thank you. I haven't gotten into the AI and embryo side of things. Seems like a lot of expense and very time consuming from guys I see doing it, but that's not to knock your reasoning of building a solid herd and quickly.
I like being able to tell my cows apart, but I do like them uniform enough they match.. I found that you don't even really have to stay with a single breed to do that if you don't want to, but you should have the same criteria across breeds
i do agree with telling them apart. It's much easier to notice one missing faster if you haven't seen them. Then go figure out why, calving, down etc. my point is calf uniformity to help in better sales. But make no mistake, my uniformity has come along ways over the years. When I started they sold in groups of 2-3 together and singles. This year it was one group of 4 heifers, group of 5 steers, and group of 11 steers. I kept heifers and butcher steers also. But to have 11 that matched was good for how I started.

No experience with red Angus but have heard good things about them, but also some negative I reckon it's like anything else good and bad.
We watched some red Angus sell as a dispersal at a cow sale last spring.
Cows were decent looking, they split some nice looking big heifers off of some of them. Biggest problem that I saw was none of the cows had ideal udders. I don't think I would have bought any of that group just in that account.
Best looking cross ever to feed is a RA x Fleckveih . They make super cows too.

I bought those 11 hd plus 1 that had calved already, 12 cows total. They're not all red angus but for the price I'm happy with my purchase, some are RWF. $3000/hd just isn't in the cards for my operation. Not saying they're not worth it, but not sure how guys in a commercial herd can come out if they buy $3000/hd cows. My friend with the nice red angus herd will sell me replacements. May take 5 years but I'll get transitioned over, with minimal disruption to making my operation work. Paid $1850/hd for these 3-5 yr olds calving now until May.

Latest posts