Calf Changing Colors

Help Support CattleToday:

If both parents have a red gene one out of four calves will be red. Thus the red Angus was born

BK9954":1bemqoti said:
good deal, thanks. first calf born in my herd. I was thinking maybe she had some brown genetics in her bloodline. I am wanting to keep this one.

you could keep a brown one if that's how it works out. it'll be our secret

jcarkie":26hhuoqb said:
If both parents have a red gene one out of four calves will be red. Thus the red Angus was born
It's still the luck of the draw, statistically that works out but not in real life. Granny was a registered black Angus (red carrier) She was bred to only red bulls as long as we had her. Her sixth calf was red the 5 following that were all black. I about had a heart attack when I saw that red calf.

dun":1h6ohhfr said:
jcarkie":1h6ohhfr said:
It's still the luck of the draw, statistically that works out but not in real life. Granny was a registered black Angus (red carrier) She was bred to only red bulls as long as we had her. Her sixth calf was red the 5 following that were all black. I about had a heart attack when I saw that red calf.
Didn't know she was a red carrier?

frieghttrain":uqhddtyq said:
dun":uqhddtyq said:
jcarkie":uqhddtyq said:
Didn't know she was a red carrier?
Not till the red calf popped out. As long as we had her she was always bred to red and always had blacks. That's why it is claimed "there are lies, damed lies and statistics" and that pretty accurate

Color change is common. I don't have registered but started with some purebred Chars--all white. Starting to see lots of red from them via a solid white crossbred bull. (Char/Simm)
But from my beefmasters with same bull, some really obvious color changes between birth and weaning. Seems sometimes, they change week to week.
First 2 are 2016 March calves.
Newborn-30 minutes earlier--no pics but today gray and white face:

3 days old--no pics, but today white face and very light gray body. Momma is black with white face--sire of both calves is 3/4 Char/ 1/4 Simm --he's completely white.

Looking back on that same B&W momma and her offspring...2014's calf from the back and white momma X char/simm bull-
1 day old-dob 3-19-2014:

about 75 days:

215 days:

18 months:

The two 2016 march calves I posted above look like this today, with the light colored one being born to the BW momma seen in one of the other pics.

As an aside, although Granny ever only threw one red calf, her black daughters and grandaughters (all sired by either Red Angus/Hereford/Fleckvieh) have never had a black calf. They're always bred to red.

dun":1w9nhze0 said:
As an aside, although Granny ever only threw one red calf, her black daughters and grandaughters (all sired by either Red Angus/Hereford/Fleckvieh) have never had a black calf. They're always bred to red.
You bred her to a milking Simmental why?

frieghttrain":1yrlmofq said:
dun":1yrlmofq said:
You bred her to a milking Simmental why?
The Flek we used is/was a great maternal bull, traditional(sort of marked) with the right frame

Latest posts