Lim-Flex Calf Born Red, Turning Black?

Help Support CattleToday:

DRSCfarm

Reaction score
My first calf heifer calved a solid red heifer calf back in November. The calf, Dorothy, is now almost 2 months old. She was born just about as bright of red as you can get. Now as she is shedding a little, her muzzle, around her eyes, and her poll all are darker (almost black). Has anyone ever had a calf born red and then end up black?

DRSCfarm":3ry5d67t said:
My first calf heifer calved a solid red heifer calf back in November. The calf, Dorothy, is now almost 2 months old. She was born just about as bright of red as you can get. Now as she is shedding a little, her muzzle, around her eyes, and her poll all are darker (almost black). Has anyone ever had a calf born red and then end up black?

Yes I have and also seen a RA angus shorthorn cross that started out Brown and turned black.

I used a purebred limo bull on angus cows with the same results, the calves were born red but were black as the inside of a stovepipe at weaning age. I also had pure angus cows AI bred to pure angus bulls born brown that also were black at weaning age. There are others on this forum who can tell you how and why, but I just accepted the black calves as a bonus

Her parents aren't registered with Limousin. She is a club calf. Thanks guys! She is as red as a Hereford right now, but those black points are getting me! I will post pics soon!

If neither parent is registered and I am guessing maybe not Limousin and you are saying she is a club calf then how would you decide that she was a LimFlex? I am just curious.

Circle H Ranch

I've seen some of my dad's go from black to red. Red to black sounds reasonable.

Her sire is a LimFlex and is registered with some association. Her mom is a registered club calf. I just haven't tried to keep up with the breed association since this calf will also be registered only as a club calf.

It's just easier for people to get what breed she is if I say she is a Lim-Flex. Her mom is a club calf, but would be a Lim-Flex if she was registered with NAL. The owners just registered her with Texas Club Calf Association instead just to show in youth shows.

Latest posts