Lim Flex

Help Support CattleToday:

I've had registered Lim-Flex cows for a while now. I'm looking at a new yearling heifer now. My cows had nice udders and raised nice calves. Mine were 50-50 and I bred them to Angus bulls mostly and an occasional Hereford bull.

I like Limousin and limX better than anything I've worked with. Just like any breed you have issues to watch out for, but knowing what the issues are means you go forewarned and make your choices. The same issues can be found in Angus, Hereford, and Simmental... and any other breed. The best upside is that Limousin put the meat on a calf. Anyone using Limo crossed with Angus can top any market if they know what they're doing. That can't be said with all breeds.

I had a purebred red Limousin bull, very calm and he put out some good thick calves.
Limousins seem to have a reputation for poor disposition and lack of milk. The breed has done a lot of improving disposition.
I saw some Limflex bulls advertised for a sale a while back, and the milk EPD's were listed in the sale ad so apparently they are trying to improve on that as well.
My personal opinion is that I prefer a purebred Limousin to the Limflex.
I think that more benefit is gained from a straight bred continental bull over Angus based cows, than with continental/British cross bull over British breed cows.

Last edited:
I run a black limo bull. Just a little higher Limo percentage than what is called a Limflex. I am very pleased with him. My cows are average at best but he adds a lot to their calves rear end which is where I was not happy with my straight angus. He is not TC Ranch gentle but he isn't gonna be bothered if you are five feet from him. Closer than that and he will turn and walk away. He doesn't like to be sprayed for flys even though he is a fly magnet.

Good info.....we're pondering putting a Lim bull on baldy/super baldy cows. I like to hear your Lim bull puts a booty on his calves, Mr. Bird Dog..... can't stand a bull that puts a cat a$$ on his calves.

Any input on keeping the half Lim/half baldy heifers for replacement???

We have used both a LimFlex bull and a couple of Limi bulls... have one Limi bull now. Dispositions can be a little sketchy but the last ones we have used have been good. They do add butt to some of the commercial cows" calves we have had... I definitely prefer a limi on the dairy mixed cows we have...
Just bought 2 reg angus bulls as we are down 3 bulls from what we normally have... buried our old Red Poll bull and shipped my all time favorite easy calving old angus bull due to a stifle injury... and the other just wouldn't stay where we put him so time for him to go... he was very mature, and decided he was going to do what he wanted... added a nice Gelbvieh bull from a friend that was cutting back to 30 cows from 130... wanted to give up the rented places... getting too old to keep up with it all he said... and then picked up these 2 young angus bulls... one is an easy calving one and the other neutral.... we have another easy calving bull that is pushing 11-12 years old....he will be here until he quits doing his job or he gets hurt like the other one... they were 2 really good bulls....good dispositions, quiet easy breeders... did exactly what we bought them for and still doing their jobs.. until the one got hurt. The other was put in as a back up bull after we had the preferred one in for 60 days... we are re-fencing the bull lot and needed a place to put a couple bulls so they all got moved around and put out as "2nd bull..... backup bulls" to just get them out of the bull lot area and away from the heifers so they didn't get them bred when we didn't want them bred yet. Hard to ship a bull that has done his job for 8-9 years and got hurt...

We have used both a LimFlex bull and a couple of Limi bulls... have one Limi bull now. Dispositions can be a little sketchy but the last ones we have used have been good. They do add butt to some of the commercial cows" calves we have had... I definitely prefer a limi on the dairy mixed cows we have...
Just bought 2 reg angus bulls as we are down 3 bulls from what we normally have... buried our old Red Poll bull and shipped my all time favorite easy calving old angus bull due to a stifle injury... and the other just wouldn't stay where we put him so time for him to go... he was very mature, and decided he was going to do what he wanted... added a nice Gelbvieh bull from a friend that was cutting back to 30 cows from 130... wanted to give up the rented places... getting too old to keep up with it all he said... and then picked up these 2 young angus bulls... one is an easy calving one and the other neutral.... we have another easy calving bull that is pushing 11-12 years old....he will be here until he quits doing his job or he gets hurt like the other one... they were 2 really good bulls....good dispositions, quiet easy breeders... did exactly what we bought them for and still doing their jobs.. until the one got hurt. The other was put in as a back up bull after we had the preferred one in for 60 days... we are re-fencing the bull lot and needed a place to put a couple bulls so they all got moved around and put out as "2nd bull..... backup bulls" to just get them out of the bull lot area and away from the heifers so they didn't get them bred when we didn't want them bred yet. Hard to ship a bull that has done his job for 8-9 years and got hurt...
Where did you get your limo bull? Been trying to find one for awhile and can't find any that are close by.

@SmokinM ......Tom McCall has a small bull sale here in Greenville... he has angus but works with a guy that has limi's... and they sell some limi and some limflex... It is like in a week or 2... I will find out tomorrow... Also, Will McComas, right here in Raphine has limi's... used to show and sell when his father had it, parents got divorced, wife kept farm ( it was her money) and it was managed for years and bulls sold... but they have gone back to more commercial cattle, not showing at all... I will get some phone #'s tomorrow for you.
How many cows? Might lease our bull out this breeding season if you wanted one desperately... we have those 2 new angus bulls we bought at Quaker hill sale plus a new to us Gelbvieh we got from a friend cutting way back... we are losing one place we used to run cow/calf pairs and have cut back cow #'s a bit so can get by with one less at least. We usually have 2-3 "resting" at any one time as "insurance" in case anything happens to someone... just leased out a young bull to a friend that has 7 cows; and will be putting out another that we lease to every year for the past 3 (or maybe 4) years now....

Does Worrell Land and Cattle still exist in Charlottesville. 30 years ago I had decided I was going to bid $10,000 on a heifer they had. First bid was 12,000. She brought over 20,000.

Our Limousin x Angus cows do well and we love this cross…lots of compliments on pasture (eye appeal) but more importantly…milk production increases on Limo 2nd generation and weights improve on calves. As for temperament everything seems to moderate on our place eventually but our Angus bulls have tamed a couple hotter head Limos.😊

Our Limousin x Angus cows do well and we love this cross…lots of compliments on pasture (eye appeal) but more importantly…milk production increases on Limo 2nd generation and weights improve on calves. As for temperament everything seems to moderate on our place eventually but our Angus bulls have tamed a couple hotter head Limos.😊
Funny how different experience can be. I've never had problems with my Limo's attitudes but plenty with Angus.

Thanks Jan and Named'em Tamed'em. I have looked at the site before and struck out but will try again. Bought a few lim-flex heifers from a guy in Weyers Cave but he didn't have any pure bred bulls. I have really liked them.

I have used gelbvieh, sim, and limo bulls on our angus based cows, and I have always thought that the limflex calves were the best. Good growthy calves and I prefer the limflex replacements by far for cows. Hard to find a good Limousin breeder around here though, so I've went with Sim bulls for the most part.

Bought some heavily discounted old timey horned red Limi stocker calves back in the day. They did well on grass, but had to replace some corral boards and a gate before they were loaded out.

The old disposition problems have been addressed now. They still have a rep for not grading well. Most Limi semen is going into beef over dairy.

Our Limi bulls added muscle w/o calving problems. Some of the other terminal breeds tend to throw thicker "square" calves.

The calves look great BUT retaining Limiflex heifers is ill advised. They mature very slowly - - leading to a lower heifer breed up, and then some really big cows later. Our half Limi F2s weighed 1500 to 1700 pounds when they finally stopped growing...

We just bought another Limi bull since we don't plan to retain any heifers in this market. Time to go terminal and sell all the F1 calves! My figguring says you will net U$S 45 to 69 more per cow exposed vs, straight bred angus.

Last edited:
We tried limflex bulls and limo bulls on angus cows. Calves were great. They calve much like an angus. Come easy and have good vigour. Get up and suck right away. I think there best as a terminal cross the calves grow very well. Even if the limo breed claims to have solved the docility issue there is still the odd genetic throwback and u get a calf that goes bazurk when you try to work them. Mostly good docility but it's the one or two wild ones that can cause grief.