Light em' up!

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
My new bull figured out before I did that the single strand of hot wire I had up on the cross-fence between him and the ladies was not so hot so he had his head over the fence pushing the hot, barb and woven wire down. I went to town and got a Patriot P30 charger, then ran two more strands of hot above the cross fence (now top hot strand is about 5.5 ft high. I drove in 3 full length ground rods and fired it up. Smart a$$ bull decided to test it 5 minutes later.........that pop set him back on his haunches :shock: . It sounded like a .22 rifle crack. He is now warily watching the fence from 30ft away. He is a fast learner :lol:

HOSS":3kwutr5b said:
My new bull figured out before I did that the single strand of hot wire I had up on the cross-fence between him and the ladies was not so hot so he had his head over the fence pushing the hot, barb and woven wire down. I went to town and got a Patriot P30 charger, then ran two more strands of hot above the cross fence (now top hot strand is about 5.5 ft high. I drove in 3 full length ground rods and fired it up. Smart a$$ bull decided to test it 5 minutes later.........that pop set him back on his haunches :shock: . It sounded like a .22 rifle crack. He is now warily watching the fence from 30ft away. He is a fast learner :lol:

In the future, hand a little pink survey tape off the line - it conducts electricity and cows usually test it with their tongues first

Makes for great entertainment when training calves

Bez

I may have to try that Bez. My older cows are never a problem. It is those hyper youngsters and newbies that always want to test things :lol:

HOSS":3rhya0rz said:
I may have to try that Bez. My older cows are never a problem. It is those hyper youngsters and newbies that always want to test things :lol:

I love to watch the neighbors Char and Obama beller at each other.
Obama stands about ten feet from the fence and is bad, but not bad enough to touch that fence again.
I have more trouble out of calves than the bull wanting to stick their head through everything.

snake67":3o9i7bez said:
HOSS":3o9i7bez said:

In the future, hand a little pink survey tape off the line - it conducts electricity and cows usually test it with their tongues first

Makes for great entertainment when training calves

Bez

I gotta try that im sure the calves will be getting lit up.

HOSS":37u07cw9 said:

i like the Patriot p 30 ,have 2 of them,they will sit you on your azz :D

Heard about some guys putting their plastic tape with wire in it in 5 gallon tubs with peanut butter and molasses and then stringing it around their hay stacks to keep deer and elk out. Say it is funnier then anything watching them walk up and start licking that tape!

Had a calf walk up and lick our hot wire. Not a happy calf!

HOSS":21qgv2tn said:

That's why I went with 2 hot strands too. One high and one about 1/2 way down the posts.
Are you running that P30 on 110ac or 12vdc battery?
I have the same charger and my tester says it isn't quite as hot when on the battery, even tho the specs says it should be the same either way.

SPECIFICATIONS P30
Stored energy 4.6 J
Maximum output energy 3 J

TYPICAL OUTPUT VOLTAGE PERFORMANCE
Open circuit
Up to 11,000 V
Standard load Up to 8,200 V
Ground rods required 3

Table represents typical values. Note: output performance is the same for 110 V line or 12 V d.c input

I really want one of these 15 joule units, but I an't find out how many volts it's putting out.
http://www.zarebasystems.com/store/elec ... 00m-z#desc

greybeard,

Right now I have it hooked up to a 12v tractor battery. I haven't put a tester on it but it is plenty HOT on the battery.

GB this is the model I use.
http://www.baygard.com/product_details.php?PId=2

It is hooked up to a deep cycle 12 volt with a 20 watt solar panel, stay's hotter than the hinges on the gates
of heII. Voltmeter on the fence tester reads 13.5 to 14,000 volt's. I don't have a hog problem anymore as well.
Took them a while but the visit the neighbors and not me.
I have two of these one on each side of the creek, I can stand on the front porch and know my fence is ok.
If I have a flashing lite tree or something is on the fence.
http://www.patriotchargers.com/fencealert.htm
Get one of these as well saves a lot of steps.
https://www.kencove.com/fence/Voltmeters_detail_VPA.php

Caustic, like your charger system. Where did you get the solar panel? Any special instructions for connecting it to the battery?

Keep in mind that whatever you run, you ARE going to be stung by it !

18 joule unit with excellent ground.
4 times in 10 years for me. Remember each like yesterday ! :lol:

We have the Zareba P1100... that thing is pretty nasty..

Here's how to choose a fencer...
The volts will make it arc further
the joules will make it hurt more

If you increase the voltage rating of the fencer without the joules as well, it'll jump further but not hurt as much.
If you increase the joules rating, it will work in weedy fences a lot better

The one we have is 6.7J.. don't know the voltage.. it says 100 mile range.. I've made the serious mistake of touching the hot wire with a 40 ft irrigation pipe in wet gum boots... good lord do you drop it fast!.

I have a laugh at the calves when they learn about the fence.. you here a sharp "OOOo!" and see them 10 feet back from the fence licking their nose wondering what happened.. The slightlty retarded bull calves usually will have several goes at it before they learn... the smarter ones is 2 at the most.

Latest posts