leasing bull

Help Support CattleToday:

cah

Reaction score
Hi we are leasing a bull from a family farm friend... he is about 15 mt's old... we have a herd of 9 cows. I have noticed that the bull is really short compared to the cows.. any input on this? will he be able to reach them if he is so short? He had been very interested in the cows and I have seen him try to mount one but she was not "standing" yet. Seems to be doing more of his business at night. Just don't want it to come spring of 2012 and no calves! thanks for you input.... we are pretty new to this.

He has not really said. He just knew the we needed a bull and offered him and my husband and he accepted... I don't think my husband knew he was so little.... just hope he is reaching them

Well, normally, we say where there's a will there's a way. But, you are right, he can be too small.
Is he a 1300# 15 month old bull or a 900# 15 month old bull? There's a major difference. If he was not grown out properly, he may not be big enough or mature enough.
You need to mark your calendar when you see a cow STANDING, and be sure to see if she passes over in around 21 days. I'm going to "guess" that this bull has not had a BSE???

cah":r72mvnq1 said:
Hi we are leasing a bull from a family farm friend... he is about 15 mt's old... we have a herd of 9 cows. I have noticed that the bull is really short compared to the cows.. any input on this? will he be able to reach them if he is so short? He had been very interested in the cows and I have seen him try to mount one but she was not "standing" yet. Seems to be doing more of his business at night. Just don't want it to come spring of 2012 and no calves! thanks for you input.... we are pretty new to this.
Could you post a pic of him and his new harem?
Valerie

I may try to post a pic... maybe this weekend... I am not sure how to post a pic on here?

Amo":3h30xpqi said:
For 9 head, you could consider putting a Kmar patch or Estrotec on them, and learn a little bit. That won't tell you if he is finding the spot, but if he can stay on top of the back, I would think the rest should take care of itself.
That won't prove anything. The other 8 head could also mount her - and trigger the K-Mar patch or scratch patch.

Latest posts