Lake Mead

Help Support CattleToday:

Those ain't native Texans. They're Californians who moved to Texas and found out we'll lock you up for smoking dope. They should fit right in in Oregon huh?
Not so sure. When I was living in Washington I met plenty of people who were raised in Texas who moved to Washington to live.

Those ain't native Texans. They're Californians who moved to Texas and found out we'll lock you up for smoking dope. They should fit right in in Oregon huh?
They ain't made pot legal there yet?

What a damn mess it's been here!

Takes a bit of water to grow pot. Ask Vegas

There have been many many cases of water shortages. The typical way this has been resolved in the past is surface water delivery is cut, and/or water rights are bought out, from ag irrigators. Makes cents since there are not very many farming voters nor vegie lovers.

This is one reason Bill has bought a lot of his farmland in the SE. Bill may be a bad boy but he still does his homework. He will still be able to grow a crop there after the SW is not able to drill for enough water.
Less irrigation water is allocated every time there is a drought.

Might not be any criminal intent on the barrel might have been a persons last wishes to spend eternal life in Lake Mead because he really loved the lake.
After posting this I have thought about what I asked the kids to do with my remains. I have told them to have me cremated and go to the co-op buy a load of fertilizer and blend me in and spread on the pasture. But I have been having second thoughts on this as the price of fertilizer has been getting higher cost wise then it might me just as advantageous to just have a conventional funeral.

After posting this I have thought about what I asked the kids to do with my remains. I have told them to have me cremated and go to the co-op buy a load of fertilizer and blend me in and spread on the pasture. But I have been having second thoughts on this as the price of fertilizer has been getting higher cost wise then it might me just as advantageous to just have a conventional funeral.

I remember an old guy in my father's generation who said as far as he was concerned they could drop him off the Brazos River bridge. He said he'd eaten a lot of fish in his life, so it was only fair to let fish eat him.

I had assumed that the majority of the water from Lake Mead was used by Las Vegas. But, I just heard on the radio today that 80% of the water usage is for agricultural purposes.
Where do you think those cucumbers in December come from? A ton of vegetables grown in that area, look for them to be hard to find at the store in the near future.

All this discussion now about "green" and saving the world from ourselves. What the heck were/are people thinking when they build these huge cities in the desert. To live in harmony with nature requires a little more thought and planning than just getting an electric car.
1964 proposal for a North American Water and Power Alliance.
In the early '60s Ralph Parsons founder of an international engineering firm spent over one million dollars of his own company's funds designing and engineering his solution to water shortages in the southwest and California. His 1964 250 page proposal was a 500 sq mile man made reservoir (4.5 times larger than Lake Mead) to fill it from the Yukon river in Alaska and British Columbia river and build a series of 360 dams for even water distribution throughout the southwest and into northern Mexico. The cost of it would exceed NASA's space program and needless to say Canada was not thrilled about the idea. Nevertheless by 1966 it had the support of
3 democratic senators, in Nevada, Utah and NY senator Robert F. Kennedy. Even conservative secretary of the interior Stewart Udall said he was for this kind of thinking. Long story short, Vietnam heated up, RFK was killed, oil crisis of the '70s Ralph Parsons died in 1974 and by 1976 the proposal had fallen by the wayside.

But seems every 10-15 years variations of it resurface. In the '90s there was talk of digging a trench/canal through Minnesota to Lake Superior to supply California and the southwest. And just recently I think Captain Kirk (Wm Shatner) endorsed the idea of a pipeline from the Great Northwest to supply California. In 1962 Parsons believed America's biggest problem in the 21st century would be water shortages. I think it will become a crisis by 2040 but it might not really hit the fan for another 40 years... 2062.

Last edited:

Latest posts