Jackson Lake Wyoming

Help Support CattleToday:

I am of the opinion it would have a tremendous economic impact if we could develop a practical methodology for the conversion of
sea water to freshwater usage. It would, I think, be more practical to pump the water from the Pacific to a large holding area where
the separation would take place. (Yes, it would take several thousand acre feet of storage) Construction, security and maintenance
could be managed on an inland site and risk of wave action damage would not become an issue. I will be first to admit this is not going
to take place on a Cattle Today forum.

I have a 1st cousin who retired from Black and Veatch not too long ago. If I remember right, he was involved in the Florida Everglade project at one time. Provided it were feasible from an engineering approach it will be a project that would approach the Eisenhower Interstate Hi-Way
Project. I am concerned of how much salt would need to be extracted and the resulting salt basin. I would not be surprised to find out that
studies have and will continued to be made on this venture. I plan on contacting him and seeing if he has a feel for the practicality of such
a project or if such is underway. I have no plans to visit this topic again anytime in the near future on these pages.

Getting cooperation from the current administration could prove a problem as any viable solution to any economic situation
does not seem to fit the planned rhetoric.
Hopefully there will be some positive news in the not too distant...
In the mean pray for adequate rain or snow,
There are 12 plants operating in California at this time here is a map as to where they are.

If you had as little water as the west you might better understand why. Lake Mead, Lake Powell, Flaming Gorge, the Great Salt Lake, and all the smaller reservoirs, are practically dry.
Not only is lake mead still producing electricity. But lake mead has gained 4 feet of water since July. Something that very rarely if ever happens during summer months as most of the water it holds is from snow pack and spring runoff.

Not only is lake mead still producing electricity. But lake mead has gained 4 feet of water since July. Something that very rarely if ever happens during summer months as most of the water it holds is from snow pack and spring runoff.
Do you know why Mead is up?

Monsoon season in the southwest, and much more than normal. There has been major flooding in Utah, and Arizona. Several people have died and many have been rescued.
That, and the weather pattern has produced temperatures to melt more snow pack at higher elevations further east in Colorado during this same period.

Lake mead is up for the first time in three years for a number of reasons.
Largest rainfall in the drainage in over ten years. This explains the late summer rise which rarely happen. Since most water comes from snow fall and spring run off. Another contributor is conservation down stream has reduced demand .
Another factor is that lakes such as Flaming Gorge drainages received near or above snow fall moisture, so they where able to release more water downstream to be closer to the required 10 year average down stream water requirements of the 1922 agreement. But most of that water didn't end up in lake mead it is being held in lake Powell.

Latest posts