Texas largest lake

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Toledo Bend Lake is the largest lake in Texas it is a man made lake covering 185000 acres. It is located within four Texas Counties and two Louisiana parishes. Always wanted to go their , how many of you all have visited the lake and your opinion of the lake. Pictures would be nice.

We went last Thanksgiving. It is a huge lake that is for sure. There are some great houses to rent on the usual sites for very reasonable prices.

We didnt see a lot of entertainment other than the lake. Even restaurants and stuff were kind of scarce. Cell phone service was pretty spotty. There was no alcohol for several counties where we stayed on the Texas side but you could drive 15 min or so to the LA side and buy liquor and beer at the convienence stores.

I saw on the news a couple weeks after we left where they had 8' swells on the lake. :shock:

cowboy43 said:
Toledo Bend Lake is the largest lake in Texas it is a man made lake covering 185000 acres. It is located within four Texas Counties and two Louisiana parishes. Always wanted to go their , how many of you all have visited the lake and your opinion of the lake. Pictures would be nice.

Great bass fishing I prefer Rayburn just due to distance.
I can be on Stienhagen in 30 minutes Rayburn an hour TB is 2.
Rayburn and TB are very similar IMO.
This is Rayburn my fishing partner with a nice 5.

https://texasbassangler.com/top-10-best-bass-fishing-lakes-in-texas-2019/

I haven't cleaned a fresh water fish in a long time but I use a Dexter knife for my saltwater fish. I've had this knife for probably bumping on 10 years now and have cleaned well over a thousand fish with it. I have quite a few other knives but always grab for it.

The handle fits my hand good. Its roughly a 6" blade and has the right amount of flex and stiffness. I like the back fade of the knife also. I can get it plenty sharp and it holds an edge.

There are a lot of good knives out there. The biggest mistake I always see is people buy knives that are too big. 6" blade is more than enough for most fish, you want it to have some flex and a thinner knife slices better for me. Make sure it has a good handle that is comfortable for your hand. When you 50+ fish to clean the handle matters.

Caustic Burno said:
cowboy43 said:

Which of these lakes had the grass eating carp stocked them and are the carp still active.

Rayburn has some big grass carp there sterile that the TPWD stock.
Be fishing over hydrilla in the morning with a frog or crayfish.
You get salad with your fish.

Caustic Burno said:
Rayburn has some big grass carp there sterile that the TPWD stock.
Be fishing over hydrilla in the morning with a frog or crayfish.
You get salad with your fish.

I think most places now stock sterile grass carp because they can become so invasive.

CB, I stayed in a tent at the Ford Center in Beaumont for a couple weeks after hurricane Ike. There was a canal that went through the center. It was full of huge fish. Catfish and maybe carp. All of them were swimming upstream. That lasted for at least 10 days, all of them big and going upstream. What was I seeing and why? I figured it had something to do with the salt water coming ashore but no idea really.

Watching the outdoor channel, a FLW tournament on the Sam Rayburn Reservoir, looks like a pretty interesting place to fish.

kenny thomas said:
CB, I stayed in a tent at the Ford Center in Beaumont for a couple weeks after hurricane Ike. There was a canal that went through the center. It was full of huge fish. Catfish and maybe carp. All of them were swimming upstream. That lasted for at least 10 days, all of them big and going upstream. What was I seeing and why? I figured it had something to do with the salt water coming ashore but no idea really.

That is part of the Lower Neches River Authority's system.

https://lnva.dst.tx.us/

Caustic Burno said:
kenny thomas said:

So we're they coming up out of the river to get away from the salt water? And why only big fish? Many of them looked to be 15# and bigger. No small fish at all.

kenny thomas said:
Caustic Burno said:
kenny thomas said:

So we're they coming up out of the river to get away from the salt water? And why only big fish? Many of them looked to be 15# and bigger. No small fish at all.
Salt water can't get too them the canal system supplies fresh water for farming, oil refiners and cities it's a closed loop the way I understand it.
I can't answer why no small fish.
A lot of those fish are trapped in the canals between pump stations.

hurleyjd said:
Caustic Burno said:
cowboy43 said:

Which of these lakes had the grass eating carp stocked them and are the carp still active.

Hurley Lake Conroe was the first lake I remember getting the grass carp years ago. But the ones they got reproduced and played heck with everything. Willow trees hanging over the water didn't even have leaves on the limbs as the carp stripped them along with all the other algae in the lake. Want to say they got rid of them but really not sure. Someone else may know.

Latest posts