Irish Black Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like he's in my neck of the woods. But I dont know the guy. I do not see anything that really impresses me. Tell s what you like about him. Especially for $2500.00 (I think that was the price)

They are lousy pictures, but I am surprised that he is a Black Irish bull! I have never seen one that poor. I question his genetics and perhaps his breeding!

DOC HARRIS

Avalon":2iexbyfu said:
Looks like he's in my neck of the woods. But I dont know the guy. I do not see anything that really impresses me. Tell s what you like about him. Especially for $2500.00 (I think that was the price)

Not much turned me on about him.I don't know anything about him or the breed.I did like like the looks of the ones that were on here last winter.He just doesn't look much like them IMHO.

Do not take this bull; the breed is up and coming and has far thicker bulls. I have merely seen pictures of the breed as no specimen is present for thousands of miles, however I have been more impressed with other bulls than this one, within the breed.

Not saying this is the case here but, The Irish Blacks could easily go through the same thing as other newly introduced breeds where the cost of seedstock is extremely high. People have such a high investment in the outcome that they do not cull as rigorously as they should because they need to recover their initial investment.

These are cattle that ALL bulls are advertised as starting at $5000 and cows at a minimum of $2500 or more. I found a DEAL on some heifers bred to calve in the fall for $2500. It doesn't take too sharp of a pencil to figure out how many purebred bulls need to be sold at any price to recoup that investment. The problem is not that they are not good cattle, the problem is the lack of demand for them at those prices.

This is not meant to be a knock against the Goulds or Maurice Bonney they have VERY good cattle. It's more just a statement of fact as I see it.

For the record I have seen these cattle in person and they are as good as advertised, I just cannot afford to spend that much money for a cow that could be 5 years old before she pays for herself. The one thing I can say for sure is, as good as they are, not all of them have herdbull capabilities as is evidenced by the bull shown here. The other problem for me at least, is the restrictions that apply after the sale regarding the selling of half blood progeny.

Frankie":23va6i9j said:
ALACOWMAN":23va6i9j said:
maybe he's actually an angus, and their trying a different marketing strategy

They better not be. The Irish Black name is trademarked. Apparently Mr. Boney takes misrepresenting an animal as an Irish Black very seriously.

http://www.irishblacks.com/pdf/License.pdf
good for mr boney...it was a joke, because of all the dink angus bulls thats been posted lately

Not a very good example of an Irish Black bull. My Irish Black heifers have more muscle than he has. I think 3waycross makes very good points about the breed. Even though this bull isn't a great example of the breed, I believe that there is a much smaller percentage of IB cattle that need to be culled than in other breeds. There are more good ones than common ones due to linebreeding and culling up to this point. I need to get some pictures of my IB cattle on here.

I see your from belmont.My grandparents had a little farm in glencoe.I'll be going thru belmont county next tuesday I have to take a tractor to butler pa.

AppalachCattle":gb514pdd said:
Not a very good example of an Irish Black bull. My Irish Black heifers have more muscle than he has. I think 3waycross makes very good points about the breed. Even though this bull isn't a great example of the breed, I believe that there is a much smaller percentage of IB cattle that need to be culled than in other breeds. There are more good ones than common ones due to linebreeding and culling up to this point. I need to get some pictures of my IB cattle on here.
AppalachCattle-

YES!! I have been waiting very eagerly for your cattle to gain a little age so they will appear in the manner that they really ARE! Show some of the ORIGINAL breeders that you got from Boney, and the progeny that you have up to now - even the small calves, if you have any right nowl

A picture is worth a thousand words, IF the pictures(S) are fair to the cattle, as they should be! Irish Blacks, in my opinion, if they are even up to the standard of the AVERAGE Irish Black Breed, Genetically and Phenotypically, are as desirable a Beef Animal for today's beef requirements as any current breed in America. "Condemnation Before Investigation" is a common failure in the mind's and attitude's of most people. It seems that Livestock Producers are quick to criticize and condemn - whether they really KNOW what they are talking about - or not!

Think - Look - Listen - and Learn! That is much better than shooting off one's mouth, and displaying ignorance!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS" Think - Look - Listen - and Learn! That is much better than shooting off one's mouth said:
Doc that reminds me of the saying that goes: "Better to be quite and have people think you're ignorant than to start talking and remove all doubt."

Latest posts