IF You had to buy a new Tractor....

Help Support CattleToday:

To tell you the truth i like john deere but i am not a fan of there new tractors or anyother types of new tractor, because they all have a short wheel base and no weight. we have a a 4230 cab 2wd, 2755 4wdFEL, 2550 2wd FEL. the 4230 is nice but a bugger to start in cold weather. 2755 very nice tonnes of weight will pull a JD 4 furrow 18inch plow 3pth really nice but is also a bugger to start in the winter but like the high platform. the 2550 is great tractor will start in -25 degrees celcius weather without being plugged in. but wish it was a high platform. if i was to buy a new one i would get a JD6605 very nice tractor very simple doesnt have all the extras

i know your asking about new tractors.but a good 4020 cant be beat!!!!!!!!!!!. trucks are red tractors are green!!!!!!!!!! ;-) ;-) ;-) must admit i have a 1968 case 830 gas starts every time and gets the job done but is akward from one end to the other!!!!! :oops:

I have a couple of Fotons from Rural King. I lke them would and will buy another.
Theyre chinese.
If you can do some self repairs or have mechanical ability then save your money get a Foton.
Otherwise you probably dont need a tractor.

rdbigfarmboy":f5kdvyll said:
I have a couple of Fotons from Rural King. I lke them would and will buy another.
Theyre chinese.
If you can do some self repairs or have mechanical ability then save your money get a Foton.
Otherwise you probably dont need a tractor.

Yes, you make a good point. But--a skilled mechanic could buy any rough John Deere and have a tractor worth more when he sells the tractor. Foton--and you have to be a mechanic--what is that worth to the next buyer?

I may be wrong but very few have gone up in value. Rough Deeres or anything else is just that a rough old tractor. Occasionally someone will luck up and find an old one that can be upgraded and make a buck but not many.
Locally were loosing dealers because they arnt selling new or used and cant meet ends.
We have lots of used car or junk roadside folk selling used tractors from shipping containers from Europe.
You gotta be lucky to a sell a color machine one when you can get a 40 hp working 4 wheel drive nice tractor for $8000 from Rural King.
Resale value is not a consideration for me.
But hey Im a little backwards.

rdbigfarmboy":3kpsl7c0 said:
I may be wrong but very few have gone up in value. Rough Deeres or anything else is just that a rough old tractor. Occasionally someone will luck up and find an old one that can be upgraded and make a buck but not many.
Locally were loosing dealers because they arnt selling new or used and cant meet ends.
We have lots of used car or junk roadside folk selling used tractors from shipping containers from Europe.
You gotta be lucky to a sell a color machine one when you can get a 40 hp working 4 wheel drive nice tractor for $8000 from Rural King.
Resale value is not a consideration for me.
But hey Im a little backwards.

I just looked up the website for the Fotons, the 824 shows to be a very heavy tractor. Right at 10000 lbs with Cab. I might try one if one was close to look at. Parts for them would proable not be any worse thatn the parts availablelity for the Name brand tractors here. Parts are getting harder and harder to come by, even with tractors less than ten years old.

saw one of those fotons at a farm show pretty impressed with it i really like the viewing window behind the drive so you can see the hydraulics and pto. also priced really good

Crowder i don't know feild's are steep or level but around here we have lot's of steep ground to cover.Have used both the JD and the M-F my 471 seemed to stand up better on steep ground than the 5210 but it is heaver then the deere.Hope this help's.

rattler

rattler":13uscit5 said:
Crowder i don't know feild's are steep or level but around here we have lot's of steep ground to cover.Have used both the JD and the M-F my 471 seemed to stand up better on steep ground than the 5210 but it is heaver then the deere.Hope this help's.

rattler
Thanks, Rattler. I'm not going to do anything for a few weeks. May even buy a good used Tractor.Both our tractors are 2 WD and I think 4WD would help esp. setting out Rolls in the slop. And yes, things are pretty steep in this country.

Crowderfarms":rnvw46wv said:
rattler":rnvw46wv said:

rattler
Thanks, Rattler. I'm not going to do anything for a few weeks. May even buy a good used Tractor.Both our tractors are 2 WD and I think 4WD would help esp. setting out Rolls in the slop. And yes, things are pretty steep in this country.
You'll really like the 4WD. There will be a little less slop because it won't make as many ruts or spin as much.

Larry

Things I look at are this...local dealer support, and not just one or two around. (AVAILABLITY OF PARTS IN THE FUTURE)

Resale value, even though you may plan on keeping it till it dies or you do, things happen that some time force us to sell or trade..............
Engine, get a good common type engine such as Perkins......as I found out the hard way, the rarer engines are hard to find parts for , not to mention the costs involved.

Weight...........even a little weight difference between two otherwise comparable tractors makes a huge difference under certain conditions and jobs such as busting ground etc. JD, NH seem to be a bit heavier all around for comparable buta's.

4X4 always a good idea no matter where you live or what you do, weather will bog down a decent 2 WD tractor even on level ground at times.

New vs. used.............most better tractors hold value well, and sell close to new prices even years down the road if properly treated, so, in today's market, many new tractors are being sold with excellent financing and WARRANTIES. Buying used tractors at near new prices isn't the good idea it may have been at one time.

Kioti is making itself know in many parts of the country, it is made in South Korea, and is very much like the older style Kubotas complete with heavier frames etc....they are catching one here, as they come with alot of bells and whistles for the money........and they seem to be hanging in there as far as parts and service are concerned.............not like a Yugo, or Long, or even Belarus around here for that matter....
Good luck in your search. :cboy:

Just had to make the decision on a new one. Trade an open MF 481 with shuttle MFWD for a MF 596 with a cab and MFWD. Kubota was a close second.(very, very, close second) The trade was just a little better on the MF. The local JD dealer was 20k out of the ballpark. Even my dedicated JD neighbor just traded one of his JD's for a 583 MF because the dealer wouldn't even try to get close.

cfpinz":2tosm5mp said:
All this talk of looking into new tractors raises an intriguing question:

"Am I the only poor person here?"

cftightwad

Not by a long shot. Our newest tractor is a 1978 MF 184-4. First 4WD by Massey, Made by Landini. Very good tractor. All the gauges and lights haven't work for a long time, but the Perkins 236 still runs like a charm.

We've also got a 1962? Belarus 400. Nice too drive and fantastic down pressure on the 3pth, but a terrible tractor otherwise. Replaced clutch 11 times now and then a gear went, and then we let it sit for a year and I think some of the cylinders are siezed. Piece of junk that isn't worth the time spent fixing it.

Also have a 1972 Case 930, good heavy tractor that can do a lot of work...but also a pain to work on. Probably have water in the fuel filters...which are expensive in themselves..3 fuel filters on it at $60+ a piece.

If we were to buy a new tractor (which would result in me getting rid of the Case and Belarus with absolute joy, and taking out a hefty loan)...I would get another MF with loader and cab. Dealer support is about 300 miles away (versus JD 15 miles)...but MF can't be beat on its price and practicallity. MF hasn't changed much in their tractors since the 80's...heck...still have partial synchonized trannies with a clutch in them. Also the Perkins can't be beat. Don't want any Jap or Asian motor in my stuff.

Medic24":1jua5bde said:
Kioti is making itself know in many parts of the country, it is made in South Korea, and is very much like the older style Kubotas complete with heavier frames etc....they are catching one here, as they come with alot of bells and whistles for the money........and they seem to be hanging in there as far as parts and service are concerned.............not like a Yugo, or Long, or even Belarus around here for that matter....
Good luck in your search. :cboy:

You can't be serious? Kioti? I know some folks who bought them, they broke and now they can't get parts or find anyone to work on them. The dealers that had them said "Oh, we don't sell them anymore."

It's like the Mahindra. Have your heard them run. Sounds like marbles rolling around in a tin can.

flaboy have you looked at the MF 500 series yet?They are nice! i like them better then the 400 serie's.

rattler

I have heard that JD can sometimes be light in the back end on a loader tractor with a large round bale on the front but i can not attest to this fact for sure. I would look ino a Case IH Puma or Maxxum or Maxxima. But like mentioned earlier i would get what fits your operation best and which ever one has the best service and resell value in your area. It matters what you want in your tractor also. I look for Stability and weight, and power, and the cab has to be located well where everything is within reach and how the windows are positioned for veiwing different places. Just my thoughts on it though.

rattler":3l6gwhip said:
flaboy have you looked at the MF 500 series yet?They are nice! i like them better then the 400 serie's.

rattler

Yeah, I have seen them. They are pretty nice. I really need another mid-size one so I can get rid of a couple of my old ones that are about shot. The economy being what it is will cause me to hold off and do with what I have for a while longer.

I have owned a bunch of MF's and they have always treated me right. The problem is no dealers close by and if I have a problem I have to load them up and haul them to the dealer if in warranty. There is a Deere dealer much closer. Then of course the MF's are so reliable it probably wouldn't have to go back anyway. ;-)

Latest posts