IF You had to buy a new Tractor....

Help Support CattleToday:

If you run across a F/NH 6640 in good shape, BUY IT NOW. Wish we could have afforded two of them when we bought ours. None of the newer tractors appeal to me-too many electronic gadgets to go out !

hillrancher":3gfbfdr4 said:
My bro then-law got delivery on a 72 hp Farm-trac last Friday. It has the same front axel as the JD, Case-IH and Ford of the same size. Perkins engine same as in other tractors. Looks like a cross between a Long and Ford to me. It was 150 cheaper than a Montana. He likes blue that is why he bought it.

I have a Farmtrac 80 (same as the current 675) that I've had for about 4 years. It has about 280 hours on it.

I've been quite pleased. The weight of the tractor and the hydraulic lift capacity are both better then the Kubota. The Perkins diesel engine is a dependable, hard working engine that starts easily even in the most extreme weather conditions.

My Farmtrac cost significantly less then similar tractors from Kubota, John Deere, or New Holland. I don't wory much about the resale because the money I saved on the purchase when added to what I eventually will get out of the tractor will more then exceed the resale on the more expensive tractors.

If budget is an issue, I like the value that Farmtrac offers.

Cabo":332rq12q said:
If you want the best then its JD hands down, if you want a little cheaper then I would go with the Kubota M95S not the 9540, lots of difference in the two.

What's the difference? I plan on buying a tractor in the hear future also.

I don't know seems like JD fans are sold on nothing but JD. We have run 3 JD in the last 5 years - 2950, 4440, 4055. All but the 4055 have been nothing but problems. The 2950 sold at auction needing $12,000 in hyd repairs, just put $16,000 in the 4440, hyd and transmition(powershift) with only 6000hrs. My dad owned a JD dealer for 44years(nothing but green blood) he is even thinking that John Deere is living on it's reputation not the quality it once was now that he is running them a little instead of selling them. Everything around here was green, each year you see less green and more Agco, Case and Kubota.

To me, the John Deere is more comfortable the way everything is set up. We do get the best service from them in this area.

Dad had Fords, Massey's and Internationals. The first John Deere I got on was a 3020. Having to drive it all day long was much more comfortable than the others, the way the platform is set up, the steps, the controls and the position of the steering wheel. The International was a good pulling tractor, but it would beat you to death. The Ford was OK, but not near as comfortable as the JD. The controls were not that good for me how they were located. I remember the hydraulics were sort of strange. The "float" on the three point hitch would mess up and when you raised your equipment up and set it back down, you had to always make sure that it went back to the floating position, or the pump would mess up.
Chuckie

I've been pretty much sold on the Kubotas for a while now. It's a regional thing I guess, but most of the older farmers around here think if it aint green, it aint a Tractor.Guys that i know who own New Hollands, swear at them but always tell me if they had to do it over again, they'd buy another.We've got two Tractors, one with a FEL one without. We need one more FEL for hay, and front wheel assist. Thanks for all the advice.

Crowderfarms":2901yyps said:
I've been pretty much sold on the Kubotas for a while now. It's a regional thing I guess, but most of the older farmers around here think if it aint green, it aint a Tractor.Guys that i know who own New Hollands, swear at them but always tell me if they had to do it over again, they'd buy another.We've got two Tractors, one with a FEL one without. We need one more FEL for hay, and front wheel assist. Thanks for all the advice.

Hope you don't do like I did and get a non-self leveling loader, BIG MISTAKE, especially for handling hay, I kick myself almost daily.

Sage":281j2w8k said:
I don't know seems like JD fans are sold on nothing but JD. We have run 3 JD in the last 5 years - 2950, 4440, 4055. All but the 4055 have been nothing but problems. The 2950 sold at auction needing $12,000 in hyd repairs, just put $16,000 in the 4440, hyd and transmition(powershift) with only 6000hrs. My dad owned a JD dealer for 44years(nothing but green blood) he is even thinking that John Deere is living on it's reputation not the quality it once was now that he is running them a little instead of selling them. Everything around here was green, each year you see less green and more Agco, Case and Kubota.
Deere is just like anybody else they make some bad stuff too. Those 4440 with the quad range were bullet proof for the most part, the powershift not so good. We have a 4450 with powershift and MFWD it has been good.

Larry

This may rile up some of you diehard green tractor fans but -----Dosen't all those new Green JD tractors under 100hp now use the Mahindra Engines?

If so, all you are really buying is green paint and an old reputation that may no longer apply to the new products.

:shock:

Nowland Farms":2bdp7s03 said:
This may rile up some of you diehard green tractor fans but -----Dosen't all those new Green JD tractors under 100hp now use the Mahindra Engines?

If so, all you are really buying is green paint and an old reputation that may no longer apply to the new products.

No, I don't think so. If Deere uses any Mahindra engines it is news to me.
I know Deere uses some Yanmar diesels (Japanese) and they build some engines in Mexico, I think. I'm not an authority, but I do pay attention. Do you know something I don't?

Nowland Farms":5u7qxb0s said:

I have a brocuhre on the 5025 series tractors and it shows the 5225 and the 5325 to have a 5 cylinder John Deere power tech engine, and the 5425 and the 5525 have a 4 cylinder, all are turbo charged. I have no idea where the engines are made.

55257x5.jpg

I doubt the 5525 will be as good as the 4020.

It sure is nicer to use right now. A self leveling loader sure is nice. I don't spec the 4 wheel will come in handy for a winter or 2 as predicted from the weather forcasters... maybe one day. We couldn't find a 2 wheel drive locally. It seems you have to order them for the most part.

I'm in the same boat Chowder. I have checked and there isn't much difference between the Massey and JD in price. I prefer the Massey but the nearest dealer is 80 miles away. JD has one 30 miles away. I am considering JD as a result.

All this talk of looking into new tractors raises an intriguing question:

"Am I the only poor person here?"

cftightwad

Latest posts