New tractor.

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
Does anyone have or had one of these.
We leased some land bordering my home place, the guy had this tractor and shredder he sold us for $2000.00.
It does run.

Attachments

• CA70D65E-1320-4D6D-BA76-E769895B2DAF.jpeg
    CA70D65E-1320-4D6D-BA76-E769895B2DAF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 91
doesnt look like he put any effort in maintenace..that's what concerns from here..but they could stand abuse..I got a 664 that's been through hell..

Probably worth that in scrap price so doubt you are out much. Those things will take abuse and that one looks like it will prove it. If they hold air at all run it awhile and see of it worth new tires.

IH 706. Gas or diesel? The 06 series were not known for the best diesel engines.
It's probably worth what you paid to part it out.

Reminds me of an industrial type with those rear tires. You can get your money back easy at 2k, just don't put anything else into it until you know it's worth spending money on.

You'll probably be getting calls shortly about your tractor's extended warranty.....

We had a MF 165 when I was a teen. I am no spring chicken now. My dad gave it to my cousin years ago and he was using it until a couple of years ago.
We had a MF175 in the 70s. It was a good tractor that started easy and had good power for the size. The hydraulics were slow and that was the main reason we traded. Probably the only way to have fixed that was put and external pump on.

If it was an industrial model it would be a 2706. Looks like a wheatland setup to me, with the full fenders and presumably non-adjustable front axle.

We had a MF175 in the 70s. It was a good tractor that started easy and had good power for the size. The hydraulics were slow and that was the main reason we traded. Probably the only way to have fixed that was put and external pump on.
I kind of grew up on the Masseys. Think we've owned all told about 15 of 'em. Still have two myself, and the home farm where I grew up still has something like 6 or so. Started out with a 165 gas w/loader and with an external front mounted hyd pump just for the loader (tractor was too small for much of anything else IMO), traded that for a 285 with QT loader and with an external front mounted auxilliary hyd pump w/25gpm and independent valve system for the loader... was probably one of the best loader tractors we ever had... all it would have needed yet was FWA. Nice and compact, great power, gutsy and quick on the governor (put it on the silage blower and the whole tractor would shake/dance from the torque as it'd kick in), easy on fuel. We went through 3 of those... all brand new... traded about every 2 years or so... used them as primary unit for cleaning barns in our dairy, so alot of daily use. I now have the same model QT loader mounted on my 2705... also been a great rig, but definitely alot bigger and so more clumsy than that 285 was. That said, the 285 wouldn't have been able to handle the bale unroller I have on the front along with a bale carrier on the back nearly as well through the deep snow as the 2705. After that 2000 series, they "cheapened them up"... lost the 24 speed, and went DOWN in hydraulic capacity. I think they brought back the hydraulics on the 8000 series.

Last edited:
I kind of grew up on the Masseys. Think we've owned all told about 15 of 'em. Still have two myself, and the home farm where I grew up still has something like 6 or so. Started out with a 165 gas w/loader and with an external front mounted hyd pump just for the loader (tractor was too small for much of anything else IMO), traded that for a 285 with QT loader and with an external front mounted auxilliary hyd pump w/25gpm and independent valve system for the loader... was probably one of the best loader tractors we ever had... all it would have needed yet was FWA. Nice and compact, great power, gutsy and quick on the governor (put it on the silage blower and the whole tractor would shake/dance from the torque as it'd kick in), easy on fuel. We went through 3 of those... all brand new... traded about every 2 years or so... used them as primary unit for cleaning barns in our dairy, so alot of daily use. I now have the same model QT loader mounted on my 2705... also been a great rig, but definitely alot bigger and so more clumsy than that 285 was. That said, the 285 wouldn't have been able to handle the bale unroller I have on the front along with a bale carrier on the back nearly as well through the deep snow as the 2705. After that 2000 series, they "cheapened them up"... lost the 24 speed, and went DOWN in hydraulic capacity. I think they brought back the hydraulics on the 8000 series.
Good post. I had a 285 and it was a pretty simple tractor compared to now.

Last edited:

Latest posts