i fought the saw and the saw won

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter1

Reaction score
ok... this is getting disgusting... this is the 3rd time that i have started this post. I keep pushing the wrong keys. oughta make all y'all who think i get longwinded breathe a sigh of relief because i won't typing any novella's any time soon.

I haven't been on much lately due to a really heavy work load (read: 3 year audit window on every type of tax possible aimed at one of my restaurant client by the State of Oklahoma) on top of my normal work load.

Sunday afternoon I was working in the woodshop ripping some 1x3's to finish the floor i am replacing in the stock trailer.

my boy, joseph, the special one, was out there with me as was man's best friend, my Aussie shepherd, Andy. Just recently Joe and Andy have made friends after about two years of joe being deathly afraid of him.

anyway, joe was in the woodshop with me and he saw andy run past the door. my wood shop is kind of cramped ... you have to put one tool away before you get something else out... i was in the process of cutting the last 1x3 when joe decides that he has to see what andy is up to. i've described joe's challenges before so i won't do it again. knowing that joe is trying to get past me i stopped pushing the board through the saw but I didn't kill the switch. Bad mistake. When joe pushed past me he shoved my left arm. he hit me hard enough that my hand slid under the blade guard into the saw blade.

Should've listened to my better half. She warned me to keep the kids away from the power tools that afternoon. Told me she had a feeling something was going to go wrong....

So here I am supposed to be taking it easy. Pain meds that don't make me sick don't last long enough. The ones that do work make sick to my stomach ... what a tradeoff. On top of that now that i have a little time to make a post I have to hunt and peck one handed. Hardly seems worth it.

By the way...remember that old tune...I fought the law and the law won? It's my new theme song... just change the word law to saw and i got it made...

Madbeancounter,

Doesn't sound like a good way to get a little time off! :( Hope you're feeling better soon.

Should've listened to my better half. She warned me to keep the kids away from the power tools that afternoon. Told me she had a feeling something was going to go wrong.... /quote]

Never dismiss a women's intuition. ;-)

some jacka$$e$ you can lead to water the others have to be touched ever so slightly up side the head with a 2x4.

unfortunately, i think that i fall into that category. i keep trying to continue to do stuff with my left hand and keep banging it around. Even through 2 inchs of padded dressing it's kind of like a shocking repeater yelling "I told you so!" in an ever increasing crescendo.

and even though i am supposed to be taking it easy there is no time off. this must be why the boss bought us all laptops last winter. when you can't get to work the work can still get to you.

and of course.... someone's got to do chores.

hi kelly,

halle is almost 600# and shoulders are starting to fill out. beta is about 300#... not bad for a 6/14 dob and having been bottle fed since birth...2.04 avg gain/day

I hope your right handed at least :D

My Dad cut the ends of 3 of his fingers off his right hand many years ago. Supprizingly now you can't even tell. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Isn't that the truth! I'm sorry to hear about your hand. I hope it gets to feeling better real soon.

PS If it's any consolation, Dad has fought the saw and lost as well. In his case he was wearing gloves and the blade caught the edge of the glove and yanked his hand into it.

My empathy...had both shoulders repaired, seperately, but real glad that I'm ambidexterous when it came to sittin down part of the day. Good luck...the idea behind the pain meds is to take them before you are in pain...stay loaded, you'll heal in no time. I get sick from some of the stuff too....
Good luck...Dave Mc

Sorry to here about your misfourtune. Hope everything heals real fast and you are back too your self real soon.

Hang in there, it will heal. Two years ago, in a similar situation, I removed a half inch of my left thumb. It was hanging on only by the fingernail. A good doc sewed it back and today it looks like nothing happened. Still no feeling, but no loss of use.
Isn't it great being graceful? Wishing you the best!

Ouch!! I would like to add my get well wishes also. Makes me cringe just thinking of what you're going through.

i saw doc yesterday and he said that for four days after the accident it looks pretty good...

of the 3 fingers involved... 1 looks worse than it is and will probably heal up pretty good. another looks like its been skinned and will be a good long time healing. the third one doc says is too early to pass judgement on. They were able to sew part of it but part of it that is gaping is also skinned so there is nothing to sew. the blade caught the bone in that finger as well so we have a nasty fracture that can't relly be splinted.

even so i think we will be able to start bandaging them individually instead of all together. we'll just have to splint one and tape the other to it. That ought to do the trick. ;-)

update:

sleeping better ... now if i could just quit bumping my hand. We started individual bandaging. Haven't been able to find splint anywhere that is large enough to allow for the padding or of the 4-prong variety that the doc says will work best.

20 years ago i used to be able to find a gauze product called
"surgitube" but i haven't been able to find any in any of the drugstores around here and of course the medical supply houses keep the same hours we do so about the time that get off work they are closed and they don't work on Saturday. At least then I might be able have a little bit less bulky bandage on two of the fingers.

two of the fingers are starting to heal up a little bit but the worst one looks really unhappy. over the weekend i kept finding new things in the dressings when we changed them... wood splinters and little strips of dead skin... I am supposed to see the doc on thursday pm so i guess i will wait till then and see what he says.

last sunday night the er people told me that hardly a day goes by that they don't see at least one person with an injury related to construction. not hard to believe with all the new housing starts in the area but really sad when you stop to think about it. Who in their right mind would have a bright idea like nailing their shoes to a roof deck to keep from sliding let alone do it while their feet are in the shoes. Defies every rule of common sense I can think of.

'course you get idiots like the guy who swallowed some change and the one that shot himself in the foot because he didn't unload his pistol before he started to clean it.

Update:

Bandages are off one finger! Maybe another week before the next comes off. Stitches are out of the worst one... Doc needed a magnifying glass to find the knot on the last one... No feeling on the surface but sure don't want to bump it. Maybe after Christmas bandages will come off that one.

Latest posts