Hybrid Vigor & Brangus cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

uncle

Reaction score
I am looking to move towards the grass fed market with a few of my cows and I am considering putting in a different breed of bull in attempt to enhance the calves out of my Brangus cows (currently use Angus bulls). I have heard so much about hybrid vigor and what it can do for your cattle but I want to make the right decision on this. I keep reading about using Shorthorns, Murry Grays & Galloways for example but there seems to not be any clear direction. Our Brangus seem to be fairly large cattle and so much is discussed about maturing early and shrinking down the frame size.

We live in north Texas and the Brangus seem to do well in the heat and the cold winters but they just don't appear to be an ideal breed and I'm hoping that some of you guys who are further down the road on this in knowledge and experience might be willing to chime in and help me improve my herd....Thanks!

If you are using Angus bulls on Brangus cows you already should have some pretty good carcass traits in your herd. As you know your choice in herd bull has a greater influence on growth frame and carcass traits relatively than your broodcows. Polled Hereford wouldn't be my choice mostly due to their weak growth rates, but I do like their smaller frame especially for the grass-fed avenue. Overall I think you can do better than Hereford--period.

Red Poll has some pretty big frames look at Jovids site where he has bulls in the 6.7 range, which will mean longer finishing times in an already lengthy finishing phase for the grass-fed process and no reason to prolong it. I would like to see some carcass data on the Red Poll and a better understanding of what a WW and YW of 2 and 3 mean. I would stay away from the larger frame cattle for grass-fed.

Shorthorn again have some pretty large frames, which I personally would steer clear of with the grass-fed endeavor. Shorthorn do have some BW issues or have had in the past, but do have great growth potential at weaning and YW. The do have high milk production, which increases maintenance costs in the cow herd, but using them as a terminal sire would be fine. The only think really that bothers me about them is the Frame.

Murray Grey is really just an Angus/Shorthorn, but without the Shorthorn Frame score, which is my PICK. Their color would work really well in your extreme temps (hot and cold) and they really have some great growth, moderate frame, good MM production and really good carcass qualities. We were given 5 MG cows some years ago as a gift and I can say that the do perform well.

JS

uncle":1mdm8k1n said:
I am looking to move towards the grass fed market with a few of my cows and I am considering putting in a different breed of bull in attempt to enhance the calves out of my Brangus cows (currently use Angus bulls). I have heard so much about hybrid vigor and what it can do for your cattle but I want to make the right decision on this. I keep reading about using Shorthorns, Murry Grays & Galloways for example but there seems to not be any clear direction. Our Brangus seem to be fairly large cattle and so much is discussed about maturing early and shrinking down the frame size.

We live in north Texas and the Brangus seem to do well in the heat and the cold winters but they just don't appear to be an ideal breed and I'm hoping that some of you guys who are further down the road on this in knowledge and experience might be willing to chime in and help me improve my herd....Thanks!

uncle":3pjh64c1 said:

You should show these fellows your cows.............:) That is what I would do anyway........:)

This is an interesting topic, I think I have Pm'd a member or two with a similar question to put on our Brangus.
IMG_3250-1.jpg

Pineland":2jm5q8cw said:
This is an interesting topic, I think I have Pm'd a member or two with a similar question to put on our Brangus.
IMG_3250-1.jpg

She looks like she would whip yore ass on a dime and give you a nickel in change.

Nah...If she had that in mind she'd square off on ya.,,,but i wouldn't try to mess with her calf...got that eye on ya. :lol:

1982vett":29ab6j5r said:
Nah...If she had that in mind she'd square off on ya.,,,but i wouldn't try to mess with her calf...got that eye on ya. :lol:
Yep...she's really just saying "you come ahead...but leave the dog at the house if you love him".

TexasBred":6yobgqdg said:
1982vett":6yobgqdg said:
Yep...she's really just saying "you come ahead...but leave the dog at the house if you love him".

I have an old girl here that I can put in a trailer by telling her come on, dog gentle 50 weeks a year. When that new calf is here you get that low growl and she ain't fooling. Get within about 10 feet and you will be in a foot race.

Has herford been mentioned yet? :lol:

I am not a guru like some of these posters are..but no doubt in my mind what my choice would be

It is my understanding that if you use a Hereford that you end up with horns on the calves... is that true? I would like to keep the heifers to continue to build my herd with quality stock but I want to stay away from horns.

I am also under the impression that the quality of polled Herefords is not equal to horned Herefords... at least that is what my dad always told me. Any truth to this?

I like the baldie idea but have those questions.

Tkx for all the input from you guys.

uncle":40qq3a39 said:
It is my understanding that if you use a Hereford that you end up with horns on the calves... is that true? I would like to keep the heifers to continue to build my herd with quality stock but I want to stay away from horns.

I am also under the impression that the quality of polled Herefords is not equal to horned Herefords... at least that is what my dad always told me. Any truth to this?

If the Brangus is Homozygous polled, the offspring will be polled. There' some very good polled Herfs out there.

uncle":2fbj1aws said:

Polled versus Horned is a bunch of happy horseshyt, there are good and bad in both.

uncle said:

If you use the search" feature in the breeds board you will find a lot of wholesome discussion about polled /horned Herefords.......it is really good information and experience with both of em!

Wow lots of great information and reading… I am thankful for all of you and your responses!

I have been reading a great deal and it has brought me to a couple of other questions. As I stated earlier I am looking to move towards grass fed/finishing with part of my herd but the fact that I will still have to sell much of my calf crop at the sale barn does mean that I need to remain profitable there.

At the same time I would like to not only breed a calf that will grass finish but also breed some replacement heifers from my efforts.

Herefords I know sell well when crossed with my black Brangus but I am not convinced that I will be improving my cows towards the goal of grass to BEEF. I know that there are several factors at play here that contribute to the best marketable retail product …probably more than can be discussed here.

So, utilizing a Rotational Cross breeding system (two breeds of bulls) with the hope to improve towards calves that Grass finish, retain heifers and maintain strong prices at that sale barn as I build my retail-marketing segment all through attempts to capitalize on Hybrid Vigor & being Breed Complementarity there seems to be a few breeds that seem to be at the forefront. Hereford of course has been mentioned but in the grass finishing niche other breeds surface… Galloway, Murray Gray, Shorthorn and Red Poll. Which two breeds of bulls might be the best? With the least amount of holes as I move towards this goal?

I would love to hear your thoughts and feed back as I feel almost a little crazy asking you folks this! It is just that I have the privilege to start from scratch and would like to make as good of a decision as possible and you guys are a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks in advance!
Uncle

Latest posts