Hurricane Sandy

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
Nasty storm. Largest in size ever recorded in the Atlantic Basin. Will affect 60,000,000 plus people. Massive power outages.

So, who wants to start betting on which select group of people will get power restored in time for these electronic voting machines to work? Could be some very interesting "disaster relief" happening next week.

Guess we're gonna find out if our "yankee" buddies listen and act on hurricane warnings better than the "natives" of NOLA.

I knew right off when they named that storm Sandy it would bring on all he(( and fury that know storm has ever matched.
I lived with a Sandy for over 25 years and as this countery will find out if ya ever experience a Sandy it will never be forgotten. :help:

Cal

Sandy is supposed to turn inland and come right over us tomorrow and tuesday . Just a while ago I got a recorded message from PPL saying we could expect power outages of a week or longer . I live right along a main line here, last year we were out for 2 days in august , but in october when we had the early snowstorm we made it thru with no problems . PPL did some serious trimming along the lines in our area , so hopefully there won't be as many problems right here.

First flakes of snow here today. Moisture is from the storm and cold air from the west. We have winter weather warnings with snow in the moun tains of 8-16 in. We are too far inland for the wind to be much problem to us though.

I dunno Kenny, We're starting to feel the wind here now and its only going to get worse. We won't get the snow you're supposed to get. Hopefully the power won't be out for 2 weeks like it was back in June from that Derecho!

All we can do here is be as prepared as possible, hunker down and deal with it.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":xaosrk5u said:
I dunno Kenny, We're starting to feel the wind here now and its only going to get worse. We won't get the snow you're supposed to get. Hopefully the power won't be out for 2 weeks like it was back in June from that Derecho!

All we can do here is be as prepared as possible, hunker down and deal with it.

Katherine

You guys probably will get a lot of rain from this also. Saw on the local news where Kenny's area is expecting snow. Just hope the wind isn't too bad. Good luck to you Shorty.

fitz

If you're on the NE (dirty) side of the storm, it will be the worst.
I'm over 90 miles from the coast, and my power was out for 2 weeks when Hurricane Ike came thru. It's not just how strong the inds are, but the fact that you will have those winds for about 6-8 hrs straight--depending how fast it moves. 55-75 mph winds for hrs on end can tear up a lot of crap that has previously withstood much higher winds of less duration.
Stay safe folks.

BEEN GETTING PHOTOS FROM THE COAST ON FACEBOOK ALL MORNING....dad gum caps...
atlantic city new jersey is already flooded.
city of Norfolk Va is flooded.
million people in coastal va without power....
and it is still a hundred miles off shore and heading for obummer......
storm surge is said to be phenominal with 30 foot waves.

Everyone within 300 miles of this thing or better needs to be aware of what it's doing and is capable of. It's an immense storm, slow moving, and that means long durations of moderate to high winds an flooding rains. The sheer size and slow movement of this is crazy.
You all in the area be careful and check in when you can

We are bottom of jersey about 3 miles from mouth of river top of delaware bay. Rain has pretty much tapered off got about 7 inches. The eye is gonna come right over me so we are waiting on the wind. Town down the street is gonna be under water at high tide though. Cows are drown rats but they got shelter in a three sided shed from the wind and some bales I stacked up.

shadyhollownj":2cyh8t2d said:
We are bottom of jersey about 3 miles from mouth of river top of delaware bay. Rain has pretty much tapered off got about 7 inches. The eye is gonna come right over me so we are waiting on the wind. Town down the street is gonna be under water at high tide though. Cows are drown rats but they got shelter in a three sided shed from the wind and some bales I stacked up.

Stay safe and thank the Good Lord it wasn't a Cat 4 or 5

here in central Va it was pretty much a non event....
We did get three inches of rain so far and it is still raining.
wind howling woke me up a time or two last night but the power never even blinked and things seemed pretty normal outside this morning.
I may have trees down all over when the sun comes up but none on the house the barn or the cars. I am at work and did not see any down trees on the 17 mile drive here.
The rain was easy enough that it did not all run off and we really needed it.
50 miles north of me people were in the beginning of the Hammered zone.

Latest posts