Hurricane Florence

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":zofpxb84 said:
Jogeephus":zofpxb84 said:
Greg, I believe had you visited Mississippi after Katrina your opinion would be different. I understand what you are saying though. Many who experience a hurricane only experience what you did and were not where the destruction is. Also, inside a hurricane many times there are tornadoes as well - you just can't see them.

Jo correct me if I am wrong wasn't Irma a Cat 1 and TS over most of Fla. moving pretty fast
I thought it ran over Cuba and it knocked it down from a 4 or 5.

I don't know. Can't hardly remember my own birthday much less the stats on a hurricane. :oops:

I've been through a few hurricanes myself and for a long time I shared Greg's opinion until I saw the aftermath of Katrina. It was like a huge lawnmower went through and just cut everything down. We had a small hurricane come through here a year or so ago. I didn't think much of it myself but one of the tornadoes spawned ended up killing a friend of mine and his wife.

Jogeephus":t42rgcpy said:
Caustic Burno":t42rgcpy said:
Jogeephus":t42rgcpy said:
Greg, I believe had you visited Mississippi after Katrina your opinion would be different. I understand what you are saying though. Many who experience a hurricane only experience what you did and were not where the destruction is. Also, inside a hurricane many times there are tornadoes as well - you just can't see them.

Jo correct me if I am wrong wasn't Irma a Cat 1 and TS over most of Fla. moving pretty fast

I don't know. Can't hardly remember my own birthday much less the stats on a hurricane. :oops:

I've been through a few hurricanes myself and for a long time I shared Greg's opinion until I saw the aftermath of Katrina. It was like a huge lawnmower went through and just cut everything down. We had a small hurricane come through here a year or so ago. I didn't think much of it myself but one of the tornadoes spawned ended up killing a friend of mine and his wife.

Living on the Gulf coast I have seen my share Carla and Rita have been the top two. Wife lost her dad to Carla I lost a cousin to Rita. Look up the stats on Camille, Carla and Rita bad bad girls.
Rita had a high death toll. Katrina wasn't a pimple to Camille on wind.

Carla and Camille are one and two on the most intensive hurricane to strike the US. Rita was the most intense ever recorded in the Gulf, thank goodness she lost some steam before landfall.
Rita is the forgotten storm we didn't have the garbage going on as NOLA that was good for ratings.

Rita took my power for 3 weeks some here were without for months.

Whelp...picked up some oat seed and put out 4 tons of fertilizer today. Got the first 15 acres of oats planted. That should stop any notion of rain.... :) Oh. Showered on me 3 times but not enough for me to have to stop.

You're probably right Jo. But with a hurricane at least people have some warning.
Tornados just pop up and kill. Some that are on the ground 5 miles and a mile wide probably leave a path like you're describing. Did not intend to belittle anyones agony with storms. gs

I have seen the destruction first hand living on the coast and majority of my life 60miles from the coast . I have seen clear blue sky as eye wall passes over and seen boats , roofs fly by like a bird . Seen the water rise 20ft and submerge docks and boat houses , Flooding , consistent wind and tornadoes do most of the damage . In 05 we were recusing people out of a trailer park that was hit by a tornado when we were alerted to flee the scene. Another tornado was tracking the same path one took 1hr before . It finished destroying what the first one missed.

plumber_greg":3qai9g5v said:
You're probably right Jo. But with a hurricane at least people have some warning.
Tornados just pop up and kill. Some that are on the ground 5 miles and a mile wide probably leave a path like you're describing. Did not intend to belittle anyones agony with storms. gs

I don't think you did IMO.
What most don't understand is the storm surge and tornadoes are the deadliest part of the storms.
Carla spawned 18 tornadoes
Rita had over a 100.
You evacuate due to there is no way to get help for your families in the storm if needed.

Caustic Burno":21rumay6 said:
plumber_greg":21rumay6 said:

I don't think you did IMO.
What most don't understand is the storm surge and tornadoes are the deadliest part of the storms.
Carla spawned 18 tornadoes
Rita had over a 100.
You evacuate due to there is no way to get help for your families in the storm if needed.
You evacuate because you shouldn't depend on anyone else to keep you or your family safe. The police and fireman have families of their own. They need to be looking after them instead of out trying to rescue idiots that stayed behind.

Caustic Burno":1g5vmz1f said:
Jogeephus":1g5vmz1f said:

It had regained intensity to Cat 4 after leaving Cuba.
Moving over the warm waters of the Straits of Florida, Irma quickly restrengthened to a Category 4 hurricane at 06:00 UTC on September 10, as deep convection improved and the eye becoming better defined In addition, Irma's wind field continued to increase in size, with hurricane-force winds spanning out a region of 80 mi (130 km) and gale-force winds spanning 220 mi (350 km) in diameter.[17] The cyclone made landfall in Cudjoe Key, Florida, at 13:00 UTC on September 10, at Category 4 intensity, with winds of 130 mph (215 km/h). Increasing wind shear and land interaction caused the satellite appearance of the storm to become ragged later that day, and Irma weakened to Category 3 intensity before making its seventh and final landfall at 19:30 UTC, in Marco Island, Florida, with sustained winds of 115 mph (185 km/h)

Where one is located in respect to the eye and forward travel makes a LOT of difference in the effects seen and felt.

Something that has always chapped my keister is the folks that either wait till last moment to evacuate or want to be rescued. They tell you to go and you choose not to that should be on you. If they have to rescue you , you should be presented with a bill. If they don't pay take it out of any tax refund or social security or welfare checks. That would stop some of this goffy sh..

First hurricane Florence deaths were reported in North Carolina.
A woman and infant were killed when a tree fell on their house and a 3rd person was reported to have died plugging
into a generator.

Son of Butch":3f5vrg3l said:
A woman and infant were killed when a tree fell on their house and a 3rd person was reported to have died plugging
in a generator.

Yes, I just read about that, a little while ago. :( At the same time, pictures & video footage of people on rooftops, and rescues going on, in Wilmington NC, where *mandatory* evacuations began a few days ago :roll: . I am very saddened to hear of the loss of life, I'm sure there will be more deaths, this thing has just begun. It is crazy, to me, that so many people will not it seriously when being told to LEAVE. There were some folks planning on holing up in a bar for the duration, for a several day hurricane party. Fools. :frowns:

A 4th death has been reported, according to the WSJ, a woman died from a heart attack because a rescue crew was unable to reach her due to a fallen tree. :(

Just the beginning. :(

Workinonit Farm":10y314fg said:
Son of Butch":10y314fg said:
in a generator.

Yes, I just read about that, a little while ago. :( At the same time, pictures & video footage of people on rooftops, and rescues going on, in Wilmington NC, where *mandatory* evacuations began a few days ago :roll: . I am very saddened to hear of the loss of life, I'm sure there will be more deaths, this thing has just begun. It is crazy, to me, that so many people will not it seriously when being told to LEAVE. There were some folks planning on holing up in a bar for the duration, for a several day hurricane party. Fools. :frowns:

The group living in the stupid bubble is nothing new.

Not to belittle the power and destructive force of hurricanes. But Fox News just had a reporter on the beach at Myrtle Beach SC. I have dug clams lots of days on the beach on the Washington coast when the wind and the waves were much worse than they were where that reporter was.

Hurricane Florence death toll has reached 17,.. 11 in North Carolina and 6 in South Carolina.

2 infants, 3 months and 7 months old each killed in separate tree falling on their house incidents.
Two 60 year olds died of carbon monoxide poisoning from using a generator.
An 81 yr old man died Friday when he fell and struck his head while packing to evacuate.
A 77 yr old man found dead is believed to have died from a fall when he went outside and the wind blew him down.
68 yr old man was electrocuted connecting 2 extension cords outside in the rain.
A husband and wife died in a house fire.
A 61 yr old woman was killed when she struck a tree while driving.
A guy drove into standing water and drowned, and a couple of others died in flash flooding on a roadway.
All a shame but overall not as bad as I expected.