Hurricane Florence

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks":2ir1p9l7 said:
NonTypicalCPA":2ir1p9l7 said:
I have to admit, I'd be tempted to be one of the last ones to evacuate. I love to watch a storm roll in.

:lol: My dad used to throw us on the back of his motorcycle every time there was a report of a tornado in the vicinity. To go find it, not get away from it. (He was good at finding trouble in more ways than one).

I told my wife that I want to see a tornado once in my lifetime. It's pretty boring here in Michigan-other than about 75" of snow every year. But given the choice, I'll take boring over hurricanes and tornadoes.

NonTypicalCPA":1ntiibst said:
boondocks":1ntiibst said:
NonTypicalCPA":1ntiibst said:
I have to admit, I'd be tempted to be one of the last ones to evacuate. I love to watch a storm roll in.

:lol: My dad used to throw us on the back of his motorcycle every time there was a report of a tornado in the vicinity. To go find it, not get away from it. (He was good at finding trouble in more ways than one).

I told my wife that I want to see a tornado once in my lifetime. It's pretty boring here in Michigan-other than about 75" of snow every year. But given the choice, I'll take boring over hurricanes and tornadoes.
it won't take but one to change your whole perspective....

Brute 23":3s3n2wxj said:
There is a huge difference between 100mph and 125+mph. There can be a 30 mile difference between total devastation and minor tree damage as it comes on shore depending on wind speeds.

Carla made landfall today in 1961.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/ ... t/1503768/

Y'all keep an eye on the mb's that tells the real story.

Caustic Burno":3v7dpz23 said:
Brute 23":3v7dpz23 said:
There is a huge difference between 100mph and 125+mph. There can be a 30 mile difference between total devastation and minor tree damage as it comes on shore depending on wind speeds.

I've heard the stories about that one.

Brute 23":o3hddtal said:
Caustic Burno":o3hddtal said:
Brute 23":o3hddtal said:

I saw dead cattle by the hundreds.
Most homes were flooded back then the majority were pier and beam. A lot of them were scattered across the coastal Prairie. We weren't allowed back until everyone was vaccinated for typhoid.
Literally had MASH tents set up.
Different time I am still amazed at the greatest generation and their resolve.

1982vett":304gxfak said:
skyhightree1":304gxfak said:
True Grit Farms [b:304gxfak said:
That figures, I have a 160 bu of oats that need planting and the ground is worked up and ready to plant[/b].

Same here
Might just head to town and get some seed and hook the drill up too....maybe they can steer Isaaic up this way and give me a shower. Still cloudy and drizzly but not much accumulation. Kinda the weather army worms like.

Isn't there one or 2 storms in the gulf right now headed towards Texas? Haven't paid alot of attention with what we are looking at but heard on the news that there are 3 or 4 that are forming or maybe even one that is already a tropical storm.

3 hurricanes and 2 tropical storms in the Atlantic. Don't know what they are calling the rainmaking thing that's been out and around the Texas coast the past week or two.

Latest trend looking like it is turning a bit south and will come to land NC/SC and head more due west and get more of Ga..... we are still looking at alot of residual rain and wind...Maybe not so much water surges...

Pretty good news for NC and Va, not so much for SC, Ga, Tenn, and Ky.

A good model view at the following link. Let the page load, and each of the little numbered squares on the upper right turn white.
Click on each of the squares (one at a time) to see where the storm will be at that forecast hour, about where the most severe wind and rain will be located and precipitation per hour..
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

For instance, as of this morning, the current modeling for next Monday Sept 17 shows it to be visiting Raven.

1982vett":1mm23i78 said:
3 hurricanes and 2 tropical storms in the Atlantic. Don't know what they are calling the rainmaking thing that's been out and around the Texas coast the past week or two.

Relief as long as it stays like it is.
It could become O Crap pretty quick with the water temperature.

Caustic Burno":1862txyg said:
1982vett":1862txyg said:

Relief as long as it stays like it is.
It could become O Crap pretty quick with the water temperature.
2ytxzkw.jpg
Rainy across a lot of the country this past week

Brute 23":c7q5bgk9 said:
I have been be nice plenty of people off telling them if they don't like it move off the gulf coast... we depend on these storms. Its not my fault they bought a house in a swamp.

I hope you never see the full effects of one. Two sided coin there Brute you probably would like the other side.

Brute 23":3q2kurts said:
Caustic Burno":3q2kurts said:
Brute 23":3q2kurts said:

I was 11 when Carla hit Port O'Conner/Port Lavaca and this was 'my' 1st hurricane. . We lived just East of Houston at the time, about 8 miles from Houston Ship Channel where it makes the turn at Lynchburgh Ferry crossing..44 air miles from the Gulf of Mexico but we lived on the high side of the river that flows into the ship channel. I had snuck out of the house thru the garage that day, to see what it was like. Wind was not all 'that' bad, but the rain stung me in the face like dozens of little bees. A tree was already down in our neighbor's yard, and all the houses looked so strange with plywood over the windows. A tornado had already hit the neighboring town of Channelview.

I have a healthy respect for these type storms, but am (and always have been) fascinated by them. Fascination usually wins.

We drove down toward the ferry landing as soon as the rain abated. Didn't get there. Flood water was still over the road where you start down the hill to Burnet Bay and water 1/2 way up the utility poles......as the crow flies, a full 125 miles from where Carla made landfall.
She was a monster.

Could have been worse and for Galveston, Ike was. (The Carla water mark at Stork Bar & Restaurant in Galveston is about 4' above the sidewalk)

upload photos for a link

Caustic Burno":3hcydxpx said:
Brute 23":3hcydxpx said:
I have been be nice plenty of people off telling them if they don't like it move off the gulf coast... we depend on these storms. Its not my fault they bought a house in a swamp.

I hope you never see the full effects of one. Two sided coin there Brute you probably would like the other side.

We live it all the time. We still aren't totally 100% after Harvey. People are moving cattle of the river bottoms right now. We are pinched between the SA River and Guadalupe and can get totally cut off. It doesnt even have to rain locally... just up the river. Ive been on atvs and horse back pushing cattle out where the water was hundreds of yards out in the am and when the last ones were loaded the trucks had to be moved on the black top.

We just do it. We dont cry about it. We know the risk of living where we do.

Im going to run 2 hrs home today after a 14hr day to move cattle out of a creak pasture, probably after dark, just to wake up at 4am and drive 2hrs back to work in the am.

Its part of life on the gulf coast... always has been... always will be.

Brute 23":1vk71zsi said:
Caustic Burno":1vk71zsi said:
Brute 23":1vk71zsi said:

We live it all the time. We still aren't totally 100% after Harvey. People are moving cattle of the river bottoms right now. We are pinched between the SA River and Guadalupe and can get totally cut off. It doesnt even have to rain locally... just up the river. Ive been on atvs and horse back pushing cattle out where the water was hundreds of yards out in the am and when the last ones were loaded the trucks had to be moved on the black top.

We just do it. We dont cry about it. We know the risk of living where we do.

Im going to run 2 hrs home today after a 14hr day to move cattle out of a creak pasture, probably after dark, just to wake up at 4am and drive 2hrs back to work in the am.

Its part of life on the gulf coast... always has been... always will be.
Stay safe and caffeinated!

farmerjan":14cdfkhj said:
We are looking at anywhere from 5-15 inches of rain, winds from 35 to 75 all according to how it hits and if it stalls. Nothing like the areas nearer or on the coast but quite significant for this area. It is perfectly calm and still yesterday and today, like the "calm before the storm" saying goes. Kind of erie feeling.

Pretty much the same deal here. At this moment, the sun is out and the mist & drizzle has stopped! Haven't seen the sun in almost 6 days! Now that I see the sun, I'm getting nervous as to what is to come, in a couple of days. We shall see. Apparently it will be going in a more Southerly direction and not be as horrid. We shall see. We are as ready as we can be.

I hope that ll, in the affected areas, will come out of this okay.

Latest posts