Hurricane Dorian

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie said:
Caustic Burno said:
haase said:
18 hours, it been pounding the Bahamas, that has to be a living nightmare.

Absolutely the worst nightmare imaginable!
Claudette rolled in on me in 1979 and stalled dropping 42" of rain in 24 hours as a tropical storm. Rode out Rita the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Gulf. I can't imagine that with the wind in Dorian.

My parents left that area in '64. One of my earliest memories was fish swimming down the road after Hurricane Carla.

I saw Carla firsthand put a wrinkle on my horn. Storm surge of 22 feet.

We are inland a bit. Not in an evacuation area. Took in a pony for the week that was swimming when the last hurricane came through (Irma). I left the corral gate open for the cows. They can go in or stay out. Fiona has been through it several times before. She knows what to do. Same with the sheep. They hate rain, so they will be in, most likely. The goats are pouting in their stall. They don't even want to play. The animals were weird yesterday and today. Playing at weird times, fussing, calling more. The cows ran around the perimeter of the pasture after feeding time last night. It's sunny right now, but the wind is picking up. The cows are wandering around. Not as much chewing cud time today.

jltrent said:
Sometimes liven in these mountains are a good thing. We have gotten dumped on maybe 4-5" of rain before. I hope Dorain takes a mostly U-turn and does as little damage as possible.
4-5" dump of rain, is normal around here.happens more often then not...

ALACOWMAN said:
jltrent said:
Sometimes liven in these mountains are a good thing. We have gotten dumped on maybe 4-5" of rain before. I hope Dorain takes a mostly U-turn and does as little damage as possible.
4-5" dump of rain, is normal around here.happens more often then not...

Ten here is not considered an unusual event.

The reporters standing on the beach saying how "angry the waves look". Looks like a reasonably nice January day on a north Pacific beach. I have dug clams in the surf on worse looking weather.
But the Bahamas look totally wiped out.

Outer bands are here. It's a hurricane for the coast and a tropical storm for us. Unless you have been in a hurricane, it's hard to understand. I've heard the old, "we have wind gusts up to that amount" before from other parts of the country. I thought the same thoughts when I lived on the plains. Since moving out here, I've been in four hurricanes and a few tropical storms. This is sustained wind. This is concentrated pushing of wind and rain in a specific, swirling direction, and, when you're under the hurricane, rather than brushing the edge, that wind direction reverses itself in the middle to swirl the opposite direction. This causes damage. Saturated soil gives and trees come down. Gusts weaken roof nails over time. I've seen the tops of healthy trees with their tops twisted off and thrown a quarter mile away. We are lucky it's just a tropical storm for us.

Well, that one band is all we're going to get, it appears.  Dorian is very politely staying off land.  God bless those north of us. Hope it doesn't get you guys.

Little Cow said:
Unless you have been in a hurricane, it's hard to understand. I've heard the old, "we have wind gusts up to that amount" before from other parts of the country.

Getting burned out is probably the worst. Everything is gone. Even your fence posts.

backhoeboogie said:
Little Cow said:
Unless you have been in a hurricane, it's hard to understand. I've heard the old, "we have wind gusts up to that amount" before from other parts of the country.

Getting burned out is probably the worst. Everything is gone. Even your fence posts.

I agree. I'd rather flood than burn. Tornados are pretty nasty, too. I was in one. Went right over the barn and I hid behind a wall with horse blankets thrown over me.

Little Cow said:
It lingered over the Bahamas. That must have been awful. Set to hit us later today. It's further east than it was, but I never trust the forecasts. Those things can shift. Irma went an entirely different path at the last minute and nailed us. I have the farm as ready as can be. We'll have to ride it out because of the animals. DOn't know any shelters that would take in cows, sheep, and horses.

My brother is in South Carolina. He, and my SIL, fled to west Georgia with their dogs and cats.

Are the Bahama Islands the responsibility of America to try to restore like Puerto Rico as they are under the protection of Britain. Just asking as I am not to up on who is who over the Islands.

Bahamas are part of the Commonwealth.
Canada, Australia, NZ etc....around 16 nations in all.
It's their bloody responsibility.

for those with horses, cattle, etc...do you leave your animals to fend for themselves, or put them in the barn/stable? Regardless if they want to come inside, I wouldn't let them. Too many bad things happen if that barn is damaged. Those animals have natural instincts that will keep them safer. Also learned something in Hurricane Andrew. Take halters off all animals, and braid or tie name tags to either their mane or tail.

backhoeboogie said:
Little Cow said:

We had the remains of a Pacific typhoon hit the coast back in 2007. The wind was measured at 160 mph at the mouth of the Columbia. Not a word from the media. I could go on for a long time about the disasters that hit out here with zero coverage. A hurricane hits the east coast and it is wall to wall coverage for a week or better. It gets pretty old.

Gators Rule said:
for those with horses, cattle, etc...do you leave your animals to fend for themselves, or put them in the barn/stable? Regardless if they want to come inside, I wouldn't let them. Too many bad things happen if that barn is damaged. Those animals have natural instincts that will keep them safer. Also learned something in Hurricane Andrew. Take halters off all animals, and braid or tie name tags to either their mane or tail.

I open the gates between all the pastures and let them pick a spot.
Has worked so far. After Rita wasn't one fence left standing on my place, all the cows came home out of the pine plantation around me when I called .
For having a brain 1/30th the size of their stomach there pretty smart.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/us/man-buys-generators-bahamas-trnd/index.html

Fla farmer spends $50k of his own $$ to buy and send generators, food and chainsaws to the bahamas.

backhoeboogie said:
Little Cow said:

I know a dry land farmer that lost over 7 miles of fence line a couple years ago!

You should have seen the mess of barbed wire left behind

Latest posts