Hurricane Dorian

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
We are preparing our farm, again. We've been through this before. Our old boss cow has been through several hurricanes and tropical storms. For Hurricane Irma, the herd all went to high, open, ground in the center of the pasture and laid down in a storm circle with their backs out and the calves inside the circle. I thought it was quite clever of them. No calves due until Christmas. The sheep are not due to lamb for another month or two, so no babies right now. That will make it easier. This is our first hurricane at this new property. All the animals have shelter, if they want it. We are just making sure there is nothing to blow around. There are some power lines towards the back of the pasture, so I might put the cows in the corral.

If anyone else is in the path of this monster, prepare as best you can and God Bless. We have a lot to do this weekend, but, hopefully, we'll get through okay.

If you have a way to haul the animals and your family your welcome to come here. Never been a hurricane hit here. I have lots for the cattle and extra beds for family.

Barometric pressure still falling it is isn't into really bad mammy jammer yet. Still hanging on at bad girl running still right at 28". As the pressures fall wind speeds increase. Get in the 26" you get Wilma's and Rita's.
Never seen a good hurricane no matter the category.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weather.com/amp/storms/hurricane/news/2014-04-07-strongest-hurricanes-most-intense-atlantic-hurricanes-20130911.html

Yep. They keep us guessing. It ain't over until it's past. And then, sometimes it goes into the Gulf for another pass, lol!

Prayers for all of you in the path of this one... I'm up here in Tennessee if anyone needs a place to come to. The bunkhouse is clean and ready to use.

It lingered over the Bahamas. That must have been awful. Set to hit us later today. It's further east than it was, but I never trust the forecasts. Those things can shift. Irma went an entirely different path at the last minute and nailed us. I have the farm as ready as can be. We'll have to ride it out because of the animals. DOn't know any shelters that would take in cows, sheep, and horses.

My brother is in South Carolina. He, and my SIL, fled to west Georgia with their dogs and cats.

Little Cow said:
It lingered over the Bahamas. That must have been awful. Set to hit us later today. It's further east than it was, but I never trust the forecasts. Those things can shift. Irma went an entirely different path at the last minute and nailed us. I have the farm as ready as can be. We'll have to ride it out because of the animals. DOn't know any shelters that would take in cows, sheep, and horses.

My brother is in South Carolina. He, and my SIL, fled to west Georgia with their dogs and cats.
Are you on or near the coast?
Was talking to a lady yesterday in SC Mt. Pleasant who is not leaving. She says she can't leave her dogs, cats and pet chickens.
She has more "pets" than a petting zoo.
I think her animal population needs to be reduced. But I am too soft to want them to drown in the storm. I would knock them in the head in a humane way.

Cows and Horses are a different matter. Sheep :roll:

haase said:
18 hours, it been pounding the Bahamas, that has to be a living nightmare.

Absolutely the worst nightmare imaginable!
Claudette rolled in on me in 1979 and stalled dropping 42" of rain in 24 hours as a tropical storm. Rode out Rita the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Gulf. I can't imagine that with the wind in Dorian.

Caustic Burno said:
haase said:
18 hours, it been pounding the Bahamas, that has to be a living nightmare.

Absolutely the worst nightmare imaginable!
Claudette rolled in on me in 1979 and stalled dropping 42" of rain in 24 hours as a tropical storm. Rode out Rita the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Gulf. I can't imagine that with the wind in Dorian.

My parents left that area in '64. One of my earliest memories was fish swimming down the road after Hurricane Carla.

Sometimes liven in these mountains are a good thing. We have gotten dumped on maybe 4-5" of rain before. I hope Dorain takes a mostly U-turn and does as little damage as possible.