Hurricane Ian

Help Support CattleToday:

As an aside, my family used to vacation on Captiva Island every year when our kids were young. Only one way on and off Sanibel and Captiva and that causeway washed away in 3 different places. No way on or off the islands other than helicopter or boat. We did not go back after Charlie hit. However, we did drive through about 5 years ago when I had to be in the area for business. I sure hope that Captiva as we knew it is still there.

@kenny thomas should write a book. From fighting wildfires across the country and hauling fuel to disaster areas to being one of the world's leading experts on giant metal chickens. 🐔
You missed a lot as his book would probably be a best seller. Visited with his brother yesterday and he is a nice guy also. I'll never forget the look on his face when he first saw the metal roosters when we went to pick them up.🐓He told me whatever the price get'em, there was a lot of rooster bidders that day.:)

Last edited:
Heading out in a few minutes. Going across the Everglades on I-75. Always wanted to do that but not in disaster.
Wonder what happens if you run over an alligator with a big truck.

alligator-strapped-rear-bumper-florida.jpg

Kenny, you are a true American!!
Until one has been thru a disaster of that magnitude, it might be hard for some to comprehend all the difficulties it entails. Flood, fire, tornado, blizzard, hurricane..and more, each is just staggering in the depth and power nature presents and we have to deal with. It is all the individual parts some do that cumulatively results in a return to normal life but not possible without those acts.
It really can be equated in every way to a combat operation, with it's huge logistics train, and YOU ARE THERE, on the front lines!
A bigger picture of the Villages staging area and even this doesn't show all of them.

villages2.jpg

Greybeard, I'm happy to help out in any way. It's odd that I'm only fueling trucks, maybe 500 or more, instead of being out in the communities doing something. But guess my job makes the other jobs possible.
Not odd at all. You made it possible for 500 crews and their trucks to do their job.

As an aside, my family used to vacation on Captiva Island every year when our kids were young. Only one way on and off Sanibel and Captiva and that causeway washed away in 3 different places. No way on or off the islands other than helicopter or boat. We did not go back after Charlie hit. However, we did drive through about 5 years ago when I had to be in the area for business. I sure hope that Captiva as we knew it is still there.
My aunt and uncle had a condo in Ft. Myers, we used to go down and visit them in our motor home during Christmas break when I was in school. It's been close to 30 years since I've been there. They would take us around and Sanibel was one of the places we went probably every trip.
Went to Captiva at least once.

My aunt and uncle had a condo in Ft. Myers, we used to go down and visit them in our motor home during Christmas break when I was in school. It's been close to 30 years since I've been there. They would take us around and Sanibel was one of the places we went probably every trip.
Went to Captiva at least once.
Those got hit bad I think. Seen lots of pictures of the storm surge damage.