HOW OLD?

Help Support CattleToday:

I was born in '51. When I was 8 years old my Dad got me a day old Holstein to raise. By the time I graduated from high school I had grown that to enough cattle to pay for my first two years of college. Did a lot of other things along the way but with a few exceptions I have always owned some cattle. When I retired I sold out on the Washington coast and bought this ranch in eastern Oregon. Here I am surrounded by full time rancher and cowboys.

I'll be seventy this year...

My parents had a ranch in northern California and a farm in Minnesota before I was ten. That's where I got my love for livestock. We moved to Salt Lake City when I was in fifth grade and I bugged my parents for a horse constantly enough that my dad bought a place with a pasture. Instead of a horse he took me to a place that was selling cows. He chose two and told me to choose one for myself. They were all Hereford based, and I chose one that was a first calf heifer with a heifer calf. Both of my dad's cows ended up to be bad ideas. One wouldn't breed and the other delivered a dead calf. Mine raised a dinky heifer. But she delivered an awesome bull calf every year after that by AI. Some of the best Hereford bulls I've ever seen... and I'm not exaggerating. I named all my bulls after my older sister's boyfriends. We butchered the bulls at about twelve months and 1200 pounds, and my parents kept a half as payment for the feed they bought and the other half was sold to go into my college fund.
We boarded horses and I ended up being hired by a guy with expensive quarter horses to gentle them before going to a trainer for cutter racing on snow. I never owned a horse until I bought my own place, but I got to ride a lot of the boarded horses.
I like cows better than people... or horses.

Well, most on here know that I'm old. Turning 76 in April. But, I think my body is more like a 40-50 year old. Lots of arthritis, but nothing really HURTS. Mainly because I keep moving - and fortunately, no health issues - as of yet!
Met hubby in Kansas. He & I were city kids. Bought his Grandfathers farm. We each had a riding horse. Started out breeding a few horses. Had a half mile race track with a 4-horse gate starter on our land. Held brush-track races every other Sunday.
Had a couple fillies (really nice reg quarter horses). Couldn't find a buyer. Ended up selling them for $500/each to a western store owner. About a month later, we went to a horse show. There were our two fillies - and not with the guy we sold to. We wondered up to the owners and admired their fillies. Ask, "what would it cost to get a few fillies like these?" They told us they paid $5,000 each for them.
Hubby said, that's it. We're going to buy cattle. It won't make any difference if our name is Smith or Rockefeller. They are worth so much a pound. (1969)
Well, we immediately bought 2 bred bwf from a neighbor. (Little eye and Big Eye). Then 12 bred commercial cows. Didn't know how to tell if they were close to calving or not. They didn't get wax on the ends of their teats!!!
Hubby went to AI classes at Graham School. So we immediately bred those cows to FB Simmentals. And guess what - the per pound price really didn't affect our bottom line. We had to earn a reputation!!!!
Sound like I'd rather buy a horse from you,than cattle…..but I bet you made up for that loss..

When young people ask me how old I am I usually tell them "I was born 24 days before the North Korean forces crossed the Imjin and 38th parallel".

Most have no clue what that means.

I had a nephew's cocky early 20 yr old son that was always bragging about how he was going places in his job as a "quality control" guy (they put him there because they didn't know what else to do with him) once ask me if I thought I'd out live him. I just looked at him and said "I already have."

You still have horses? What kind?
Warren, not much that you'd be interested in, I don't think. They all belong to the wife... I probably don't need to be responsible for anything living or breathing, without her supervising!
I'm more of a tree/orchard guy, anymore...
She's got
A big ol' Standardbred gelding (rescue)
A 20 y.o. Haflinger mare
A 17 y.o. American Ranch Horse gelding
then she bought two more this past spring... a Mustang mare and another little mare that's either a QH or a ARH... I'm not sure of breed, or ages on either of these two mares.

I'm 65 and a retired wildland firefighter. 48 years worth.
First cattle was bottle calves when I was about 12. Hated cattle.
My wife's dad wad a trader and it was my job to drive him around to the sale barns. Finally decided if I'm going anyway I might as well buy some also.
Since I have retired I deliver new horse trailers all over the US, drive a fuel truck a few days a week, and work for an auction company. Still working 7 days a week.

I'm 65 and a retired wildland firefighter. 48 years worth.
First cattle was bottle calves when I was about 12. Hated cattle.
My wife's dad wad a trader and it was my job to drive him around to the sale barns. Finally decided if I'm going anyway I might as well buy some also.
Since I have retired I deliver new horse trailers all over the US, drive a fuel truck a few days a week, and work for an auction company. Still working 7 days a week.
Kenny is a lot older than me. :cool:

Turned 76 in November. Volunteer at local museum, raise a few Brangus cattle and do some custom baling. Do all the wrenching on the equipment and most on the trucks. Can still do most anything I could when I was younger just do it a lot slower.

I'm fifteen years younger than you are, but I have also reached the point where it takes longer to rest up than it did to get tired.

Latest posts