How many breeds do we need?

Help Support CattleToday:

Subsoil":3lum7jj2 said:
No offense Hoss (Burno) but I think you're lost in the 60s. To get the yeild grade, you've got to have some continental breeding. I agree that the Simmy/Angus is a great cow and if you're in the south, use a simmy/brangus cow. Then put what ever bull you want with her.

Other options for the gulf states is a tigerstipe cow (hereford/Brahman) with a Angus/Continental cross bull. However, with this you have to deal with the occasional prolapse and little bags some of brafords are know for.

Bottom line - keep the ear to less than 25% of the breeding and no more than 50% british and 50% exotic and you'll have a pretty marketable calf.

Sorry longhorn breeders - you'll have to get with the corriente guys and breed roping stock.

bull be nice..... there is no such thing as a NEED for continental breeding. I'm not gunna go on and on about the performance of our straight english cattle again but they ALWAYS outperform the continental cross calves we buy for the lot..........

toby":1semmfjm said:
Shorthorns will be one of the mainstays, just look at where most of American breeds came from. The other probably Angus -- their association is connected. But America is to big, and cattle raiser too independent to b limited to two. Any way by then expermintal breeding may have found the Serri Hotel answer.

Shorthorn x Angus = Murray Grey.....the only one we need! :) ;-) :cboy:

Subsoil":28athcia said:
No offense Hoss (Burno) but I think you're lost in the 60s. To get the yeild grade, you've got to have some continental breeding. I agree that the Simmy/Angus is a great cow and if you're in the south, use a simmy/brangus cow. Then put what ever bull you want with her.

Other options for the gulf states is a tigerstipe cow (hereford/Brahman) with a Angus/Continental cross bull. However, with this you have to deal with the occasional prolapse and little bags some of brafords are know for.

Bottom line - keep the ear to less than 25% of the breeding and no more than 50% british and 50% exotic and you'll have a pretty marketable calf.

Sorry longhorn breeders - you'll have to get with the corriente guys and breed roping stock.

You fell and hit your head. There is no need for them fancy frail continentals.

Gotta agree with Caustic. Cattle with 25% ear, with no more than 50% english and 50% continental, will never make in a national herd. Hope you didn't hurt your head to bad when you fell from that tree.

cherokeeruby":1ydqshv7 said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1ydqshv7 said:
toby":1ydqshv7 said:

So what would you recommend for hot climates? Perhaps a little Brahman blood? What is the world wide population of Murray Grey?

Brahman is number one world wide followed by Simmental which has a population of over 40 million head.
It would be a pretty drab world without some ears to look at.

OK I started this I should state my opinion.
Here in the mid-west Angus X Limi
Northwest Hereford x Homo Black Limi
South& Southwest Hereford X Brangus

2cents wrote
retail product will be the main source of premiums because lean meat yield will be the main factor determining profit

Afraid you might be right with this one. If this is true it will ruin the beef industry. The pork boys done this and ruined their product does anybody like the dried up shoe leather they call tenderloin today? My family spends less than 50.00 a year of pork now!

I have tried beef treated with this method and it was the best steak I have ever eaten. Extremely tender and juicy, just a bit salty.

Ive tryed it to,thought it was some of the worst beef I have ever eaten.

Jake
bull be nice..... there is no such thing as a NEED for continental breeding. I'm not gunna go on and on about the performance of our straight english cattle again but they ALWAYS outperform the continental cross calves we buy for the lot......

I think GAR is going to prove this in the next 10 years.

Hmmmm, I seem to remember were many straight English cross were having a lot of yeild grade 3s and 4s.... Dont think you would find that problem in a EnglishxContinental cross

Thanks for the back up Cutter. Some of these guys that still think we are colonies of Great Britain and therefore must remain loyal to the breeds that originated there aren't looking at the big picture.

Sure GAR and others can take the very top end of their breed and get them to yeild like an average Limmy, Simmy, or Charlais - but what percentage of american cattle producers are using the top 5% of any particular breed?

Face it - Engish cattle have better quality grades, Exotic cattle have better yield grades, and zebu cross cattle do better in humid climates.

If anyone thinks I've hit my head, it's because I was laughing so hard at anyone who can honestly argue with the previous statement. The cheapest way to get the best of all three is crossbreeding.

I guess some of you guys never studied hybrid vigor and heterosis in science class.

cherokeeruby":3c8emycx said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3c8emycx said:
toby":3c8emycx said:

So what would you recommend for hot climates? Perhaps a little Brahman blood? What is the world wide population of Murray Grey?

Brahman is number one world wide followed by Simmental which has a population of over 40 million head.

Well, you can find Murray Grey in Florida, South America, all the way up to Canada, and more of them all the time. I think that speaks pretty highly of them... ;-) :cboy: :D

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":wlbbhq3f said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":wlbbhq3f said:
Well, you can find Murray Grey in Florida, South America, all the way up to Canada, and more of them all the time. I think that speaks pretty highly of them... ;-) :cboy: :D

There are also miniature cattle all over the USA, in South Africa, Kenya, South America, I'm sure there are some in Candada..... does this speak highly of miniatures also?? by your logic it sure proves that miniature breeds should be one of the two to stay around....

Subsoil":273ais3q said:
Thanks for the back up Cutter. Some of these guys that still think we are colonies of Great Britain and therefore must remain loyal to the breeds that originated there aren't looking at the big picture.

Sure GAR and others can take the very top end of their breed and get them to yeild like an average Limmy, Simmy, or Charlais - but what percentage of american cattle producers are using the top 5% of any particular breed?

Face it - Engish cattle have better quality grades, Exotic cattle have better yield grades, and zebu cross cattle do better in humid climates.

If anyone thinks I've hit my head, it's because I was laughing so hard at anyone who can honestly argue with the previous statement. The cheapest way to get the best of all three is crossbreeding.

I guess some of you guys never studied hybrid vigor and heterosis in science class.

I said you hit your head, I have been making good money for thirty years without running exotics. The only thing I ever want to see exotic is a dancer( Sorry LRBR). Those frilly exotics don't hold up except in a stock tank in the summer.

houstoncutter":2l43jk89 said:
Hmmmm, I seem to remember were many straight English cross were having a lot of yeild grade 3s and 4s.... Dont think you would find that problem in a EnglishxContinental cross
Hmmmm, I seem to remember that there are many continental breeds that can barely grade choice. Don't think you will find that problem with English and/or English X cattle.

Let me see, Angus bulls I have used in the past were the first ones in the tank in summer, granted the exotics werent far behind, but I am confused why would you not want to mix the best of both types of breeds. Namely grade and yield, a yield grade 1 or 2 that will grade choice will make money in any market

houstoncutter":34mr6sd2 said:
What Continental breed are you talking of breeding the English breeds to.

houstoncutter":1rdjjsfw said:
Let me see, Angus bulls I have used in the past were the first ones in the tank in summer, granted the exotics werent far behind,
Angus may be the first ones in the tank during the summer, but theydo their work during the cooler part of the day.Early morning and late afternoon and evening.

Latest posts