How many breeds do we need?

Help Support CattleToday:

Three T

Reaction score
Ok its raining out and I just got back from the coffee shop cow meeting. The topic of how many breeds we need was brought up (again) spirited debate followed. So heres the question. The year is 2020 all cattle are sold on the grid. Severe discounts for low yielding cattle, same for low quality cattle. You are only allowed two breeds. Taking where your ranch is located into consideration. (south,northwest, midwest etc.) what two breeds are you going to use to make that Premium paying T-1 cross?

franseen,
Im going to think on this a little longer but right now in the mid-west Im leaning the same way. can't wait to see what those boys from the south have to say.

red angus and limousin.

two british breeds will take too many yield discounts. gelbvieh and simmental won't help yield enough. charolais - may have made progress in calving ease, but is still sub-par and you have to have a live calf to make money.

my own opinion is that by 2020, quality grade will be less important because of technology like that of BPI improving the eating experience of all beef (see link below). it will still be a factor, but the choice-select spread will be much smaller. retail product will be the main source of premiums because lean meat yield will be the main factor determining profit.

check this link for more info:
http://www.beefproducts.com/index.cfm

I have tried beef treated with this method and it was the best steak I have ever eaten. Extremely tender and juicy, just a bit salty.

there was an article about this in progressive farmer a few years ago. They said breeds here to stay included Angus, Hereford, Brahman (b/c of tigerstripes), some American breeds-specifically Brangus and Beefmaster, and several continental breeds-i remember charolais and limousin being mentioned and i'm sure simmental was and if not it should have been. the title of the article was something to the effect of "how many beef breeds do we need?" seems like there was one that sort of surprised me and i want to say it was shorthorn?

Most deffinately Simmental X Angus.
Remember folks, you need to make a COW out of the cross, besides a steer. Simmental is the leading Continental breed according to MARC research and Angus is number one of the British breeds. Marriage made in heaver, as I said on a previous post.
Limousin makes a great TERMINAL cross. Simmental and Angus are carcass trait breeds AND maternal traits.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":keymj6i4 said:
Most deffinately Simmental X Angus.
Remember folks, you need to make a COW out of the cross, besides a steer. Simmental is the leading Continental breed according to MARC research and Angus is number one of the British breeds. Marriage made in heaver, as I said on a previous post.
Limousin makes a great TERMINAL cross. Simmental and Angus are carcass trait breeds AND maternal traits.

Horse feathers, there are three breeds that built the American beef industry Hereford, Angus and Bramers. This is all you need anywhere in the 48 states. All the rest are just fancy cattle for fancy ranchers.

Shorthorns will be one of the mainstays, just look at where most of American breeds came from. The other probably Angus -- their association is connected. But America is to big, and cattle raiser too independent to b limited to two. Any way by then expermintal breeding may have found the Serri Hotel answer.

Jeanne
We are making only t-1 crosses for the sake of this argument. Seedstock producers are going to suppy us with the breeds we decide to keep (hypotheticly)

Three T":3005i9y3 said:
Ok its raining out and I just got back from the coffee shop cow meeting. The topic of how many breeds we need was brought up (again) spirited debate followed. So heres the question. The year is 2020 all cattle are sold on the grid. Severe discounts for low yielding cattle, same for low quality cattle. You are only allowed two breeds. Taking where your ranch is located into consideration. (south,northwest, midwest etc.) what two breeds are you going to use to make that Premium paying T-1 cross?

If you're going to insist on two, then I'll say Angus and Charolais.

No offense Hoss (Burno) but I think you're lost in the 60s. To get the yeild grade, you've got to have some continental breeding. I agree that the Simmy/Angus is a great cow and if you're in the south, use a simmy/brangus cow. Then put what ever bull you want with her.

Other options for the gulf states is a tigerstipe cow (hereford/Brahman) with a Angus/Continental cross bull. However, with this you have to deal with the occasional prolapse and little bags some of brafords are know for.

Bottom line - keep the ear to less than 25% of the breeding and no more than 50% british and 50% exotic and you'll have a pretty marketable calf.

Sorry longhorn breeders - you'll have to get with the corriente guys and breed roping stock.

GertxHerford or BrangusxHerford, but if I lived above the Mason-Dixon line it would Be LimixAngus. As for the Longhorn I have been seeing a few SalerxLonghorn crosses that are outstanding cattle, and I may have to look into it a bit futher.