How do you call the cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clients who have started doing this on their fresh weaned calves are reporting an increase of a half pound a day in their adg.
That is for people with calves on feed?

How much improvment in adg can your magical "stockmanship" methods really do for a forage based cow calf operation.

By using your method to move to another pasture vs my "rattling a gate chain" methods what improvement will I see?

Or the 2x or 3x a year I call cows into the corral for vaccinations and such? How much gain will I see with your method?

I figure if a fella can get on here and tell everybody that has spent a lifetime with cattle that they don't know what they are doing having never seen them or the cattle they handle I can dang sure return the assumption. It is a pretty safe bet he is not the only one on here to fork a horse, handle thousands of cattle or devote his life to the craft of better stockmanship/better cattle.

I figure if a fella can get on here and tell everybody that has spent a lifetime with cattle that they don't know what they are doing having never seen them or the cattle they handle I can dang sure return the assumption. It is a pretty safe bet he is not the only one on here to fork a horse, handle thousands of cattle or devote his life to the craft of better stockmanship/better cattle.
The cookie duster look of most cowboy clinicians gives the security of authority and knowledge.

He had me when he started bragging about Bud Williams. I am NOT a fan of the Bud Box.
I built two Bud boxes. One that goes to the loading chute, and it works; one that goes to the squeeze chute, that one does not work. I think the second one is two wide, my sorting alley is 14' wide and I made it as wide as the sorting alley. I want to replace it with a sweep, but I have other projects that I want to get done first. To get cows to go down the single alley to the squeeze I had to put stock panel diagonally across the box; can only get about three cows in there, but at the same time I only have room for about three cows in the alley.

It's a good tool, but it's not right for everyone, and not everyone needs one.
The problem people have with the Bud Box is that if you have 1 animal that doesn't read the manual, you have no way of MAKING them go. And, yes I know, we would be stressing them!!! In real life, you don't always have a "herd" to work.
Sometimes you have a single problem, or a single cow needing assistance to calve. We live in a real world. Not a cookie cutter farm.

What is funny to me, is all of these people that are saying "How many cows do you own, Bob?" ROFLMAO. He has probably handled more cattle, than all of the "experts" on here have ever seen, much less owned! But that is immaterial....ownership. Never met a cattleman yet that knows more than the long-time manager of the Salacoa Valley Brangus ranch here it north Ga for forty plus years. Nor my friend that is the breeding manager and AI tech for the huge Charolais operation . I don't know of either of them personally owning these cattle. Lot of pioneering, ground-breaking Ag professors at the best agriculture colleges in the country don't either. We even have someone on here, that states it has been decades since he owned cattle, calling this man out! This is just clutching at straws.... throwing cheap shots at some offering ideas that they don't understand, Or even try to understand. @Bob Kinford , you might as well let it go, buddy. Those who got it, did about 9 pages ago. Those who don't, either don't want to , or are too "ignernt" to. So,. unless you just get a kick out of goading them into looking like fools and a$$holes, I would just let it go. YOu have already reached the ones you are going to on here.
I understand that you are elated with this guys horse skills.
"IF" you understand the concept of what he is preaching, please explain in easy to understand language. Remember, I'm old and VERY black and white in my thinking.
Explain what he is trying to teach us, with having all our cows pointed in the same direction. And how calling our cows is too stressful.
Since you read and viewed all his videos, let's hear your interpretation.
You must "get it" and we don't.

I understand that you are elated with this guys horse skills.
"IF" you understand the concept of what he is preaching, please explain in easy to understand language. Remember, I'm old and VERY black and white in my thinking.
Explain what he is trying to teach us, with having all our cows pointed in the same direction. And how calling our cows is too stressful.
Since you read and viewed all his videos, let's hear your interpretation.
You must "get it" and we don't.
Did you get my PM?

That is for people with calves on feed?

How much improvment in adg can your magical "stockmanship" methods really do for a forage based cow calf operation.

By using your method to move to another pasture vs my "rattling a gate chain" methods what improvement will I see?

Or the 2x or 3x a year I call cows into the corral for vaccinations and such? How much gain will I see with your method?
seems like to me if a cow will come to a rattling gate chain that would be no different than calling out or shaking a bucket as far as stress goes, it's reaction to a learned and liked stimulus. One is no different than the other. I will agree that most cattle will remain quieter when moved on horse back, but only if they have been around a horse and most cattle if they're used to a horse will remain as quiet with a horse as a single human in a pen and often quieter if they've been moved horseback a lot

How were they calling them before that they were losing so much weight?

Again, you are only telling me on side of the equation. How much is it costing them to do this? I'm not putting $75 a day in my pocket if your method is cost me $100 a day to do.

Being serious here... no sales pitch BS... do you honestly think those guys could gather 1500 weaned calves out of our brush or @gcreekrch mountains or else where... in that amount of time? Be honest.

If you're cattle are rebooted, yes. In reality calves are gaining weight, they just gain more when you change up how you deliver feed. All cattle behavior is a natural reaction to what we do with them. I never thought about stress during feeding until I started taking feed to a group of calve which had been grazing as a tight unit for three months. The stress of competing for feed for one day had them scattered across the pasture. That got me curious and (as I had three herds of 4-600) s
How were they calling them before that they were losing so much weight?

Again, you are only telling me on side of the equation. How much is it costing them to do this? I'm not putting $75 a day in my pocket if your method is cost me $100 a day to do.

Being serious here... no sales pitch BS... do you honestly think those guys could gather 1500 weaned calves out of our brush or @gcreekrch mountains or else where... i amount of time? Be honest.
Sorry its taken so long to get back to answering it. Been trying to figure out how to answer it in a way which doesn't sound condescending. Short answer is yes, with the caveat IF you've done your prep right in conjunction with the change in stockmanship. Do that and the calves will be in the same place so your not running around trying to gather them. If the pasture is remote, put your feed on the pickup and pull your horse in a bumper pull pickup. put out your feed then pull your trailer somewhere away from the feed so they don't associate it with being fed. Then all you have to do is start the calves towards the feed (from the side of the cattle closest to the feed), and as soon as you are confident the lead is going to hit the feed you're done. If you stay and watch them, by the second or third day, as soon as the lead hits the feed, the rest come in bucking and playing and spread out to eat with no competing for feed.

I know it's hard to wrap your mind around, especially as a lot of it is contradictory to our instincts, but it does work. The following link is a Working Cows podcast interview of a student who has implemented it out of Lusk, Wyoming that might help wrap your mind around it.

seems like to me if a cow will come to a rattling gate chain that would be no different than calling out or shaking a bucket as far as stress goes, it's reaction to a learned and liked stimulus. One is no different than the other. I will agree that most cattle will remain quieter when moved on horse back, but only if they have been around a horse and most cattle if they're used to a horse will remain as quiet with a horse as a single human in a pen and often quieter if they've been moved horseback a lot
You can use the stockmanship methods on foot at you do on a horse. As long as you draw them, or utilize fade turns instead of trying to get around them or put direct pressure on the head to turn them it only takes a couple of days to get them acclimated to a horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts