How about posting some Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

rocket2222":1h4963fa said:
some cows

IMG_14151111.jpg

I think it would be more accurate to say "These are SOME cows!" And how. :clap:

Very nice. Do you have any closer pictures? What frame size and weight are these? Thanks for posting.

Here are two of my favorite cows.

The first is appreciated for her pleasant disposition, good mothering skills, small frame, and strong healthy calves. I'd guess she weighs only 1,000-1,100 lbs.

100_1109.jpg

This girl is upwards of 14 or 15 and this will be her last year here. I like her rectangle shape and she was always healthy and an easy keeper. She's getting old, not breeding back on time, and not staying fat anymore, but she's already proven herself in my eyes. In her best condition, she probably weighs 1,250 or so.

100_1113.jpg

Our cattle are not as impressive as some of the other members here, but we appreciate them very much and are working to bring them closer to our ideal, and closer to what some of you have already achieved. :tiphat:

I have never measured her, so I am not sure how tall she is. Although, the shed in the back is not extremely tall and the camera angle could be bad. I like her because she maintains her condition on pasture even when feeding a calf and during drought. Her udder has also held up extremely well at her age. I think that she does well in our environment which has been hot and dry for a few years, so I would consider her an easy keeper. She is a little thinner boned than the other cows, but I think her other traits a spot in my pasture until she proves otherwise.

ArmyDoc":2r9rh61u said:
JGibson
I like the head on the first cow, seems feminine to me. She also has a nice flat back. Nice over-all look, but she seems tall and a little slender/fine boned to me. Would you agree, or is she what you are shooting for? You mentioned she is tall, but that she's one of your favorites. Everyone seems to be talking about "moderate framed cows" these days. Do you componsate for the increased frame in any way in choosing what bull you put up to her? Or does it not matter because she does well for you in your environment?

OK Jeanne":317p0a1m said:
rocket2222: from what I can see those appear to be very nice cows. They appear to have lots
of depth/body volume, and nice wide backs. :clap:

Thanks Jeanne, has a breeder of some great looking Murray Grey's, much appreciated.

Mr. Greenjeans said:
Rocket2222,

Meatwagons!!

These are fine examples of cows with excellent conformation, rib spring, and depth.

My requisite statement is that I am not a Hereford man, but if I had the chance to buy these I am sure I could change my ways.

I have never seen a better group of cows on this board. If you can get a calf every 12 months and adequate EPD's you have hit a homerun. They even have pigment around the eyes! Outstanding! -- and you had the audacity to title it "Some cows".

Mr. Greenjeans

Well thank you Mr. Greenjeans. I think, I'm probably three genarations away from where I would like them to be. This is my fall calving group, all checked safe in calf in Feb. I believe it was. If they don't have a calf they don't live here. Actually if they don't have a good calf they don't live here. The average Epds for the whole cow herd, spring and fall calvers is CED - 1.2 BW 4.1 WW 41 YW 70 MM 16 CEM 2.5 Not sure what the average is for just the cows pictured, but it will be close to the whole herd average, and way to much work to figure out :)

ArmyDoc":2rypgrly said:
rocket2222":2rypgrly said:
some cows

IMG_14151111.jpg

I think it would be more accurate to say "These are SOME cows!" And how. :clap:

Very nice. Do you have any closer pictures? What frame size and weight are these? Thanks for posting.

I always have more pics :) You can see some close up pics at my web site, http://www.rockmillsherefords.com Though alot of the pictures are older ones, I've sold some of the cows pictured and some of the older looking calves are now in the cow herd. I have updated it some though, couple of calf pics and the new bull. I'll do a big update this fall when I get the fall calves on the ground, maybe sooner if I get the urge to fool with it.

I'm excited about this thread - good topic!

Here's my contribution to the cow pics.

These are some of our best cows - they all have faults but they are great females. The pictures unfortunately arent the best.

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_017.JPG

This is a springing heifer. I like her for her correct structure in hind legs, her overall capacity including spring of rib, depth and length, and the amount of natural muscling she carries - she is also very thick. I also like her softness and easy fleshing ability. She had her first calf last year and we were extremely impressed with him - he has kept his nuts for now. She is around a FS 6.7

Murray_Greys_014.JPG

This cow is one of my favourites - though she has more faults than the one above. I like her for her strong, correct topline, her good legs, I particularly like the power of this cow - she is just so thick, so muscled, so deep and long and well sprung and she does it on grass alone. She also has a brilliant jersey udder when she calves - and as a bonus I like her because she will accept and raise orphan calves as well as her own. She is a FS 7 +. Things I dont like about her is that she is too big - her tail set is a little high though not as bad as this pic shows, and I also dont like her temperament when she has a new calf - she is one of the only ones that I have to watch when they have a calf.

Also just thought now another reason I like this cow is that, although she throws high BW calves, she is able to cope with them no problem. Large pelvic capacity.

I having trouble finding the pic of my ideal cow. Here is a pic of her as a springer - not a good photo.

Murray_Greys_013.JPG

Oh actually now I found the photo of her the day she calved

Mums_photos_15-09-07_729.jpg

I like her for her structural soundness - feet and legs. I like her neat udder with good teats. I particularly like her length, depth, capacity. And I like that she is soft, easy fleshing and well muscled - she gets fat on less than what you see in the heifer photo. She is thick and so wide. And while she is well muscled she retains her femininity. She is a good mother as well. She is I believe around a FS 6.6. I wouldnt mind having her in just a bit bigger frame - 6.8 to 7.0 version of her would be my ideal cow.

Good looking animals! The last one with the newborn would be my favorite also. :D

Ok, This is a cow that we have been real pleased with. She is a 99 model. She is due in Aug. with her 8th calf.

918-1.jpg

OK, everybody's posting pics but nobody's saying what they like about their cows. What I like about the cow I posted is that she'll have an 85lb calf out of my good Angus bull. That calf will weigh 700+ lb at 205 days on decent forage. That calf will sell at or near the top for his/her weight class. Other than that, she's easy maintenence, easy handling, and breeds back on time.

ga. prime":1valn094 said:
OK, everybody's posting pics but nobody's saying what they like about their cows. What I like about the cow I posted is that she'll have an 85lb calf out of my good Angus bull. That calf will weigh 700+ lb at 205 days on decent forage. That calf will sell at or near the top for his/her weight class. Other than that, she's easy maintenence, easy handling, and breeds back on time.

I've said what I liked about my cow......1st page......

Latest posts