How about posting some Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

ArmyDoc

Reaction score
Thanks to all the folks posting pictures of bulls, and the subsequent comments, I feel like I'm at least starting to recognize a good bull. But what about the other half of the equation? I know that the bull or few bulls in rotation will contribute more to the herd genetics than any one cow, but you still have to pick the best cows each generation. So, I thought I'd start a thread on Cows.

Please post pictures of your best cows. Also, please give their age, weight, frame size and breed. Tell me what makes them a good cow in your opinion, and where they could be better. Thanks!

Well, I guess this is one of the better cows I have..........I have already posted this pic but the thread got deleted some how.......So here it is again to start with......This is a "good cow" in my opinion--she is longer bodied has some depth and you can tell she is a cow (she does't have a bull's face) -- And most important -- SHE IS FRIENDLY :D

4.2 yrs old
Simbrah
Don't know about that frame size stuff.....
Don't know her weight either

coww_019.jpg

Snowy.jpg

This is one of our favorite cows. She is about 7 years old. She has a good udder and produces a lot of milk. She also raises a great calf. She is also level headed. I am not sure the weight, but I would guess 1400 - 1500 lbs. I have never measured her for frame size, but she is tall. My best guess it 5 or 6.

Shirley.jpg

Laverne.jpg

Both of these heifers are registered black angus. We are still waiting on first calves. These were taken when they were about 1 year old, September 07. Reserve judgement until we see what kind of mothers they are. I will try to get updated photos as they have grown a lot.

Well, this is my only heifer...:)
2 years old..prob about 1100 pounds..Brangus, not registered. "hopefully" bred..will be checking shortly.
Critique away..I dont know alot about cattle, but I sure enjoy looking at her, I think she is very beautiful. :D
original.aspx

original.aspx

Here's Fern, born spring 1995. First photo was taken in 2003 with her new heifer calf:

1819fern_fancy.jpg

Here's Fern in 2005:

Fern.jpg

And here she is in spring 08 with her new heifer calf:

Fern_08Heifer.jpg

She has been a good producer, milker and momma. In good forage times she'll probably
weigh 1250+ and then go down to around 1100 in drought. She has a good hindquarter
and lots of "volume" to her body. Her back is as wide as on a circus horse I think.

She has kept her condition well for her present age. We currently have her with
a yearling bull to be bred:

DCP_3797.jpg

That photo was taken last fall(october) when he was 7 months old. He weighed 716 at the time.
We have high hopes for this match-up.

JGibson
I like the head on the first cow, seems feminine to me. She also has a nice flat back. Nice over-all look, but she seems tall and a little slender/fine boned to me. Would you agree, or is she what you are shooting for? You mentioned she is tall, but that she's one of your favorites. Everyone seems to be talking about "moderate framed cows" these days. Do you componsate for the increased frame in any way in choosing what bull you put up to her? Or does it not matter because she does well for you in your environment?

OK Jeanne,
Fern is more like what I think of as a beef cow. I like her solid build. She looks low, wide and long, with a great big butt. You said she runs 1100-1250+. What frame size would you say she is? Do you run her on grass alone, or do you supplement? She definitely seems to be passing on that stout build to her calves!

ArmyDoc":20o16zli said:
OK Jeanne,
Fern is more like what I think of as a beef cow. I like her solid build. She looks low, wide and long, with a great big butt. You said she runs 1100-1250+. What frame size would you say she is? Do you run her on grass alone, or do you supplement? She definitely seems to be passing on that stout build to her calves!

She is a frame 4; actually I believe she weighed more than 1250 in that 2005 photo; it was a really good grazing season then---2006
was the pits with drought. We do put out some range cubes in the winter about once or twice per week--depending on stockpiled
forage and/or quality of hay.

Are you back in the states now?? :)

Jeanne has consistently posted great cattle. Somebody else who posts some real power cows is Bryan Gill (forgive me I dont remember his username). They are definitely a few on here who really have good cattle.

CPL":sl6ci9ao said:
Jeanne has consistently posted great cattle. Somebody else who posts some real power cows is Bryan Gill (forgive me I dont remember his username). They are definitely a few on here who really have good cattle.

Its BRG if i remember correctly.

I agree with you, they have always posted superior cattle, I've been saying for a long time that OK Jeanne's cattle is the example to follow.

Sadly the only cow on this thread that I think is any example to follow at all is the MG Jeanne posted.

I like the MG too.

Dun just posted a beauty on another thread - a 4 year old. Post that one again dun.

OK Jeanne":igrq0z8y said:
She is a frame 4; actually I believe she weighed more than 1250 in that 2005 photo; it was a really good grazing season then---2006
was the pits with drought. We do put out some range cubes in the winter about once or twice per week--depending on stockpiled
forage and/or quality of hay.

Are you back in the states now?? :)

Yes, got back a few months ago, took some leave and now am back at work again.... should have taken more leave... :)

Fern sure is nice. I've been torn between Red Angus and MG for when we finally get our place. Have to say your pictures make a strong argument for MG!

BARNSCOOP":19jrg1v2 said:
Central Fl Firecracker,
What type of cow is the red W/ white face in the back ground?

I am not sure but has some Hereford in Him. I also bought him at a sale 2 years ago and has produced two nice red calves. It might be a cracker cow.

rocket2222: from what I can see those appear to be very nice cows. They appear to have lots
of depth/body volume, and nice wide backs. :clap:

Rocket2222,

Meatwagons!!

These are fine examples of cows with excellent conformation, rib spring, and depth.

My requisite statement is that I am not a Hereford man, but if I had the chance to buy these I am sure I could change my ways.

I have never seen a better group of cows on this board. If you can get a calf every 12 months and adequate EPD's you have hit a homerun. They even have pigment around the eyes! Outstanding! -- and you had the audacity to title it "Some cows".

Mr. Greenjeans

IMG_14151111.jpg

Latest posts