How about posting some Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's a pic of "Big Mama". 13 years old and about 1700 lbs. Just calved last month. I'm not much with a camera.

Big_Mama.jpg

big momma sure is a nice looking cow.you can tell she is an easy keeper.an that she holds her weight well.

Bull...this old huz raises great calves and breeds back 1st service everytime. Never had any physical problems as long as I've owned her except she actually gets overconditioned on grass. That pic was made in Feb. but we had a mild winter.

K2011-

Don't know about that frame size stuff.....
Don't know her weight either

If you are going to be in the Beef Cattle business more than a few months, you should begin to learn a little bit about the Beef Cattle Business! You should also learn about "...that frame size stuff..." You should also learn about "Beef Cattle Weights..." You should also learn about Beef Cattle "Body Conditioning Scores".

Go on the internet (Dogpile or Google) and type in the SEARCH box "Beef Cattle Frame Size". Also "Beef Cattle Weights". Also Beef Cattle "Body Conditioning Scores". Also Beef Cattle "EPD's" (Expected Progeny Differences). STUDY these things. Then you will be in a position to know what the heck you are doing. If you don't know some of the very basic requirements of the business, you will FAIL in the business. It is as basic as that!

DOC HARRIS

Here is an "ok" cow that we have........she WEIGHS about 1,250-1,350lbs. She is 7yrs old

brenham_cows_026.jpg

ga. prime":30puj2ne said:
It would be cool if somebody posted a "top show cow" right about now.

Ga, all three I posted are successful show cows.

Note that my cows are successful in the show ring but are also successful commercial cows ;-)

They are expected to be commercial first and foremost, and I guess we are just lucky that our show ring is more in touch with commercial needs than the American show rings.

ga. prime":1bqniiuk said:
OK, everybody's posting pics but nobody's saying what they like about their cows. What I like about the cow I posted is that she'll have an 85lb calf out of my good Angus bull. That calf will weigh 700+ lb at 205 days on decent forage. That calf will sell at or near the top for his/her weight class. Other than that, she's easy maintenence, easy handling, and breeds back on time.

I was a good girl and critiqued my cows ;-)

I also wanted to add about my cows:

Something I dont like about the first cow is her udder. It is perfectly functional and she fed her calf no problems, teat size is good but the udder just isnt very pretty or neat. It doesnt fill up nice and round.

Something I do like about the last cow is that her udder is the opposite (actually the middle silver cow as well) - picture perfect jersey udder.

Good Cattle You Got There ^^^^^ They are just a TAD bit lacking in the rear..........

This is one of my favorites. I like her depth and pelvic capacity. She doesn't have the best temperament when she calves but I don't mind it because I don't have to worry about her calf.

She is a little camera shy, no matter how many times I circle her she keeps turning away.

Betsy.jpg

birdog":aws257ej said:
This is one of my favorites. I like her depth and pelvic capacity. She doesn't have the best temperament when she calves but I don't mind it because I don't have to worry about her calf.

She is a little camera shy, no matter how many times I circle her she keeps turning away.

Betsy.jpg

Looks like shes got the Coldwater Cattle Co brand.? Is that where she came from?

DSCF0043.JPG

This is my heifers first "calf" and she is raising them both doing a fine job. She has been shown and did very well but has been discounted for breaking a bit behind the shoulder. Her mother is a fantastic producer and I am hoping she follows in her hoofprints. I like her just fine, has a beautiful udder.

HolidayCows.jpg

This is a picture of her mother and two of her sisters, she is the calf in the picture.

CopeMan":3vsgt9xy said:
birdog":3vsgt9xy said:

Betsy.jpg

Looks like shes got the Coldwater Cattle Co brand.? Is that where she came from?

Originally yes, I bought her at a Brangus sale in San Angelo consigned by someone else. She was heavy bred to a John Wayne bull and the price was right.

Birdog,

We are using a John Wayne bull as well as a New Direction Bull on our registered Brangus herd. The John Wayne calves are outstanding -- I bet you will be pleased.

Nice cow.

Mr. Greenjeans

jscunn":32a9s5ri said:
I have always thought that mid to heavy bred heifers take the best picture..

6720061608_edited.jpg

6677061608edit.jpg
they do,... they dont have that brood cow look yet. but being a commercial cattleman thats the way i like to see em . those are fine heifers ;-)

Latest posts