How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

This is the hay field regrowth that the calves are getting moved on today. There is about 15-16 acres of this and above the ditch there is around 10 acres of crested wheat grass that has never been grazed or mowed this year. That crested is pretty mature but with all the rain we have had it has sprouted 4 or 5 inches of green around the base.

View attachment 34362
wishing I had that.

I don't know bahia, but I do know Dallisgrass. I would clip it back if you're sure rain is coming.

It could be a shot in the foot if the rain doesn't come and that urea goes into the air.
Maybe too late now but if you have them add some Agrotain it will buy you some time if that rain doesn't materialize.

First pic is the lease, parked them on that spot on Monday. Gonna move them today.

Second pic is what the beefs are getting. Moving them twice a day. They're laying the weeds down getting the clover and alfalfa.

Attachments

• 20230828_192722.jpg
    20230828_192722.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230828_131942.jpg
    20230828_131942.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230828_125538.jpg
    20230828_125538.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13
Just moved them. They went through the gate and their heads went down. Keep eating, gain weight. Irrigation makes that happen. That tall dead grass between me and the calves is a flood irrigation ditch.

View attachment 34384
I'm going to turn mine out into the hay field next week. didn't get many bales in July, only three on one six acres field and didn't cut the other 8 acres. it greened up and even grew a bit so hopefully they will have enough to graze on until snow comes. glad I sold 12 from my herd late last fall.

You know it's getting real when you see this. It's in red river on the back side of our farm. The fire is on the other side of the river and went from 3 acre size to 300 in less than an hour. Dry, 20% humidity and windy.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.MOV
    7.8 MB
With rain likely coming the urea will have an effect and will (likely) be effective. As for the seedheads......here is a general explanation of seedheads..... The formation of seedheads effectively curtails continued vegetation growth and regrowth of any grass for that grazing season (I'm saying you should have clipped the seedheads right when/as they were forming. The seedheads send a hormone to the rest of the plant that says 'hey, you have reproduced for the year, you can slow down or stop growing'. At this point, that message has been delivered. Clipping the seedheads at this point may entice some growth, but I suspect the response will be muted. The fact that the seed heads were left on also possibly/likely means that the boost from fertilizer or urea in growth will also not be as strong as desired. I'm not saying don't clip and don't apply urea or fertilizer. I am saying to expect a muted response by the plants as the grass went to seed, which has an effect on plant growth if you do clip and/or fertilize.

With rain likely coming the urea will have an effect and will (likely) be effective. As for the seedheads......here is a general explanation of seedheads..... The formation of seedheads effectively curtails continued vegetation growth and regrowth of any grass for that grazing season (I'm saying you should have clipped the seedheads right when/as they were forming. The seedheads send a hormone to the rest of the plant that says 'hey, you have reproduced for the year, you can slow down or stop growing'. At this point, that message has been delivered. Clipping the seedheads at this point may entice some growth, but I suspect the response will be muted. The fact that the seed heads were left on also possibly/likely means that the boost from fertilizer or urea in growth will also not be as strong as desired. I'm not saying don't clip and don't apply urea or fertilizer. I am saying to expect a muted response by the plants as the grass went to seed, which has an effect on plant growth if you do clip and/or fertilize.
I was told not to let the hay go to seed, but i have a neighbor that bales for me and he seems to wait too long to start. He has a full time job other than the farm, so there is that situation. I need to get a brusher for the pasture and mow it when I don't have enough cattle to graze it down before it goes to seed.

I was told not to let the hay go to seed, but i have a neighbor that bales for me and he seems to wait too long to start. He has a full time job other than the farm, so there is that situation. I need to get a brusher for the pasture and mow it when I don't have enough cattle to graze it down before it goes to seed.
I like mowing pasture with a disk mower if it's a clean field. Grass seems to regrow faster than when cut with a bush hog. Plus it lays the cut grass down across the swath and not all clumped up on one side. Promotes clover to grow through the cut stuff. IMO

Got a short shower a few minutes ago and possibly a bit more on the horizon. I'll give the chainsaw & tractor a break…for the moment. Maybe sit on the patio and do a little pickin' and grinnin'…just put in an order for 30 more round bales…hay and delivery about $3000…almost everybody is sold out…found this guy up near Longview, Texas…about 75 miles from here…may have to get more if the situation doesn't improve

Last edited:
Got a short shower a few minutes ago and possibly a bit more on the horizon. I'll give the chainsaw & tractor a break…for the moment. Maybe sit on the patio and do a little pickin' and grinnin'…just put in an order for 30 more round bales…hay and delivery about $3000…almost everybody is sold out…found this guy up near Longview, Texas…about 75 miles from here…may have to get more if the situation doesn't improve
Sad to hear about your lack of grass and hay. While a lot of folks are short on grass her in north Texas there seems to be a lot of hay

There may end being more hay available than normal in a drought. Lots of cows going to the packer. We chatted with the owner on Friday while dropping calves off for a weaned calf sale . He said last week, there only 2 trucks with trailers in the parking lot on sale day. Not many going back to the country at that rate.

There may end being more hay available than normal in a drought. Lots of cows going to the packer. We chatted with the owner on Friday while dropping calves off for a weaned calf sale . He said last week, there only 2 trucks with trailers in the parking lot on sale day. Not many going back to the country at that rate.
That should make for a quick auction.

four days ago temps in the 90's and breaking 100. yesterday high in the low 70's overnight lows in the 40's and 50's forecast for next week or more. no rain in the forecast either.

Looks like a change is fixin to take place and significantly too.
(I'll beleive it when I feel it.)

For Lampasas Texas:

Sat 09Mostly Sunny
105°/73°
11%
WNW 9 mph

Sun 10Partly Cloudy
99°/72°
15%
E 8 mph

Mon 11Partly Cloudy
99°/72°
15%
SSE 10 mph

Tue 12Mostly Cloudy
89°/69°
24%
NE 9 mph

Wed 13Cloudy
83°/68°
24%
NE 7 mph

Thu 14PM Thunderstorms
84°/68°
57%
E 9 mph

Fri 15Scattered Thunderstorms
83°/66° (This is gonna feel downright cold after all those 106-107 days)
53%
E 8 mph

Sat 16Partly Cloudy
88°/66°
20%
NE 7 mph

Sun 17Mostly Sunny
90°/67°
24%
NE 5 mph

Mon 18Mostly Sunny
92°/67°
7%
SE 7 mph

Tue 19Mostly Sunny
93°/69°
9%
S 8 mph

Wed 20PM Thunderstorms
92°/67°
45%
S 8 mph

Thu 21Mostly Sunny
91°/68°
17%
SSE 9 mph

Fri 22Mostly Sunny
92°/68°
22%
SSE 8 mph

Looks like a change is fixin to take place and significantly too.
(I'll beleive it when I feel it.)

For Lampasas Texas:

Sat 09Mostly Sunny
105°/73°
11%
WNW 9 mph

Sun 10Partly Cloudy
99°/72°
15%
E 8 mph

Mon 11Partly Cloudy
99°/72°
15%
SSE 10 mph

Tue 12Mostly Cloudy
89°/69°
24%
NE 9 mph

Wed 13Cloudy
83°/68°
24%
NE 7 mph

Thu 14PM Thunderstorms
84°/68°
57%
E 9 mph

Fri 15Scattered Thunderstorms
83°/66° (This is gonna feel downright cold after all those 106-107 days)
53%
E 8 mph

Sat 16Partly Cloudy
88°/66°
20%
NE 7 mph

Sun 17Mostly Sunny
90°/67°
24%
NE 5 mph

Mon 18Mostly Sunny
92°/67°
7%
SE 7 mph

Tue 19Mostly Sunny
93°/69°
9%
S 8 mph

Wed 20PM Thunderstorms
92°/67°
45%
S 8 mph

Thu 21Mostly Sunny
91°/68°
17%
SSE 9 mph

Fri 22Mostly Sunny
92°/68°
22%
SSE 8 mph
I'm ready to get out of the 100 deg days.