Home Schooling

Help Support CattleToday:

Already started on the 8th grade math and getting 80%!!!!!!! She has always been really good at math.

There are a couple of real negative people who are posting who can keep their negative snide remarks to themselves! You know who you are!

AJ yes we have the Common Core here. State legislator had a bill up to repeal it. Lots of parents hate it!

Glad to hear that denver! Our county has the highest number of home schooled kids in the entire state. Luckily have lots of support from other parents.

Jo there are great teachers out there and some really bad ones.

Highgrit the science courses my daughter is taking right now are physical, natural and I cannot remember which 3rd one she is on.

Congratulations TB. Sounds to me like you are doing quite well. I have always said college is not for everyone. I know two Star Students here that have been very successful without going on to college.
Keep up your hard work and you will continue to achieve.
A college education in not always the answer. To me being happy with what you are doing is most important.
I will not even begin to tell my disappointments in our local school system. Students are not achieving as they should and teachers are very unhappy. I used to hate to see a school day end. The latter years of teaching were so difficult I used to wonder if I would live to see the day end. Times have changed and not for the better.
As for counselors, I never shall forget my daughter getting to UGA and her Hope scholarship along with Governor's scholarship had not been sent in. A new counselor took over after Christmas and failed to take care of the paperwork for scholarships.
TB, keep on working and I wish you the best of luck and admire you for our achievement.

And that's another thing, I do have things to fall back on, I know how to do many things and not afraid to work at any of them.

highgrit":z245nmg8 said:
You do realize TB that he won't ever go hungry also? When SHTF the paper pushers will starve and be the prey for the zombies. He might not get fat, but he will survive.
Just saying "don't crow too loud about what you got and how successful you've been because it can all be gone tomorrow....regardless of what you do to make a living". Just the other day you were bytching about some bank screwing you out of most of your 401-K because you were stupid enough to buy into their promise of high returns and low risk..(greed).......but I guess you survived...you're still here bytching !!!!

Williamsv":2n8farp9 said:
Congratulations TB. Sounds to me like you are doing quite well. I have always said college is not for everyone. I know two Star Students here that have been very successful without going on to college.
Keep up your hard work and you will continue to achieve.
A college education in not always the answer. To me being happy with what you are doing is most important.
I will not even begin to tell my disappointments in our local school system. Students are not achieving as they should and teachers are very unhappy. I used to hate to see a school day end. The latter years of teaching were so difficult I used to wonder if I would live to see the day end. Times have changed and not for the better.
As for counselors, I never shall forget my daughter getting to UGA and her Hope scholarship along with Governor's scholarship had not been sent in. A new counselor took over after Christmas and failed to take care of the paperwork for scholarships.
TB, keep on working and I wish you the best of luck and admire you for our achievement.

William with all due respect sir, did I even mention "college" or anyone having a lack of education??

I go to a lot of schools and all I can say is that if the schools were like this when our children were in elementary school, they would be homeschooled.
It is sad how much the kids do not learn because the teachers have to teach only the stuff needed for a child to pass a test.

Please excuse me TB. I was not talking about you. I just got names confused. I was in a hurry and should never have posted anything. I was talking about Denvermartinfarms.
I will try to be more careful or better yet refrain from posting. I am getting too old and have too many things on my plate right now to be posting anything. So I see it is time to stop.

Williamsv":4t0adx5g said:
Please excuse me TB. I was not talking about you. I just got names confused. I was in a hurry and should never have posted anything. I was talking about Denvermartinfarms.
I will try to be more careful or better yet refrain from posting. I am getting too old and have too many things on my plate right now to be posting anything. So I see it is time to stop.
Cant speak for TB. but its Not a big deal to me, you mis spoke, I think we will all fully recover and lead Normal lives :D.

Williamsv":9aoidvsh said:
Not a problem at all. Just had me confused for a minute....but that's nothing new either. ;-)

TexasBred":185i84nq said:
That's all good and you're to be commended Denver but you also realize that in your line of business you can be eating at the soup kitchen tomorrow and walking anywhere you go with nothing else to fall back on. :nod:
My brother in law and sister both have master's degrees. He's on failed business #3 and she's pretty much forced to be a stay at home mom right now because they can't afford a second car. I sleep really well knowing that those student loan payments and the paper that came with them will turn their life around here pretty quick... I'll probably go ahead and help them out if they ever quit telling me how dumb I am but I'm scared to help to much because I don't have a piece of paper to fall back on if all of my crops, breeding service, cattle, and pollination(started that one up again) should all fail. :mrgreen:
I have a GED and the only reason I have that much is because it was a requirement to get into the military and I thought I wanted that for a time. I was not home schooled but my kids are. I consider dropping out and going to work to be one of the best moves I've made. I don't want my kids to learn how to get by, I want them to learn the basics well enough to get by and then find their craft and soar with the eagles. If college is a required part of what they have a passion for then they will go to college but otherwise it's a financial burden placed on them(me, I'd never do that to them) before they've earned a cent in their chosen career... With home school you can do the basics in an hour or two and then spend the rest of the time chasing the stuff they WANT to know about.

You guys that are homeschooling, is it online or some kind of module that is mailed to the house?

Bigfoot":1odjcbu4 said:
You guys that are homeschooling, is it online or some kind of module that is mailed to the house?
We pick and choose. My kids are enrolled with a charter school that meets the states criteria for educational standards but we don't use it for much traditional education but as enrichment instead. They are both enrolled in online classes but we also teach from book material. My wife is pretty strict about education coming from a book and (big shock) I'm more into showing them something practical that they can use in life. "un-schooling" is the term for how I teach.

My daughter in law was home-schooled, and I suspect my grandchildren will be too. From talking to her it's my impression that it's fairly common for several families to get together to teach their children. If one family has a good math background then they will teach math to all of the children, and another family will teach science, etc.

Best decision we ever made. Ours mostly comes from stuff we buy. My wife does put some of it together though. Here you have to be a member of a cover school. We use it for them to see ther kids. They do that once a week. Thats where we have lessons on things we dont do at home. And where the 4h meets.

cow pollinater":g23npi70 said:
TexasBred":g23npi70 said:
That's all good and you're to be commended Denver but you also realize that in your line of business you can be eating at the soup kitchen tomorrow and walking anywhere you go with nothing else to fall back on. :nod:
My brother in law and sister both have master's degrees. He's on failed business #3 and she's pretty much forced to be a stay at home mom right now because they can't afford a second car. I sleep really well knowing that those student loan payments and the paper that came with them will turn their life around here pretty quick... I'll probably go ahead and help them out if they ever quit telling me how dumb I am but I'm scared to help to much because I don't have a piece of paper to fall back on if all of my crops, breeding service, cattle, and pollination(started that one up again) should all fail. :mrgreen:
I have a GED and the only reason I have that much is because it was a requirement to get into the military and I thought I wanted that for a time. I was not home schooled but my kids are. I consider dropping out and going to work to be one of the best moves I've made. I don't want my kids to learn how to get by, I want them to learn the basics well enough to get by and then find their craft and soar with the eagles. If college is a required part of what they have a passion for then they will go to college but otherwise it's a financial burden placed on them(me, I'd never do that to them) before they've earned a cent in their chosen career... With home school you can do the basics in an hour or two and then spend the rest of the time chasing the stuff they WANT to know about.
Once again...why quote me?? I wasn't condemning home school nor promoting college degrees...only stating that in any profession you can lose your a$$ before you know what hit you. That include you and me CP as well as Denver. And many times it has nothing to do with the decisions we made.

We both work, so homeschool is not a viable option for us. I definatly see the merits of it, for my son but not my daughters. We have 3 private schools here. All 3 of my kids swear that the bullying at church is worse than the bullying at school. The bullies all attend private school. Not sure what that says about the church I attend, or private school.

My daughter is doing the online version right now just to finish out the year. Our home school group shares books and information. I was told which publisher to go through for next year. They send everything for the year. She was told taking spanish was a requirement. I am going to find out tomorrow since she hates spanish and wants to try another language.

I about started bawling at the home school meeting. The kids were roller skating around and having a blast so I had a hard time hearing what was being said. All I could hear was they had some books that we could take home if we wanted any of them. They brought out 6 large boxes with books. So I start looking through them when I see this one book. I picked it up and opened the cover and there it was the scribbling my son did inside my best friends book she loaned me! Then I heard her name mentioned and the tears started.
She had home schooled her kids up until the time of her passing. These were all her books her husband had donated to the home school. I took several home.

Both my daughter and son were home schooled. Both have done extremely well for their age. My daughter went to college and maintained a 4.0 and received her degree in education. She is now married and works for the University proctoring exams for foreign exchange students. My older son maintained very high grades while home schooled. He now works where I do (hired on without my help) and runs and programs the most complex piece of robotic equipment that we have. My wife is a teacher by education (she currently teaches English at the University) and we both are extremely busy so my youngest "Little HOSS" goes to private school. We pulled my daughter out of public school in the 3rd grade while we were living up north. I pulled her because the school allowed PETA to hold an assembly in the school and give their spiel on animal rights alongside a sold called "Indian" representative that spent 30 minutes bad-mouthing white people and how only Indians had the right to hunt. Home school is not for everyone but if the parents are dedicated the quality of education can far exceed what most public schools (not all) produce.

Very true Hoss...each situation is an experiment that has never been tried before. Our girls went to Catholic School in pre-k and K but then wanted to go to public school. We have a good school system and I think the folks did a good job of teaching them. I know that's not true of all districts. As I mentioned earlier you just have to make sure you know more than the student and know how to "teach" and keep them motivated.

Somewhere I read the other day where home schooled children are now wanting to participate in public school extracurricular activities...football, basketball, etc. Personally I'd have to vote no but then again I have no kids in the system so guess it's none of my business.

Latest posts