Holsteins : What's your opinion on them?

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":3g68a20h said:
Am I the only one here who thinks Taylor is either a farce who is having a lot of fun making everybody crazy giving him/her advice about something that is so basic and fundamental that it's ridiculous OR he/she may be the single most stupid, hard headed, or retarded person who ever posted a dumba$$ question on these boards.

Either way I propose that if Taylor hasn't got the point by now Taylor is not going to GET IT. Let's stop wasting our collective breath on this moronic thread.

If he/she hasn't got the point by now it's a waste of time trying to find any more new and creative ways to say HOLSTEINS BULLS ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. THE END

No, you're not the only one. ;-) Good call, 3 way.

Ha ha ha ha that is funny right there I dont care who ya are. Who would name a bull bambi anyways?

Ok I'm 13 years old so I can name the bull Bambi if i want XD. Second , i realise that yall have more experience
( obviously yall are much older than me ) And whoever called me idotic and retarded or whateva.. well your acting like a Holstein saying stuff like that about someone YOU do not know. Yeah, were going to fix him and hes about ... I would say 4 and a half months old now. I don't know how old is the best time to fix him. (Please im BEGGING for advice there XD) he's starting to get horns but let me remind you on this i PROBALLY have not told yall that he is half Jersey cow. I don't know if that would help on temperment :). Our otehr calf (bull) IS 100 % Holstein but hes getting horns... .the dairy farmer (he has had that dairy farms for 4 generations) we bought him from said holsteins RARELY get horns so we didn't have anything to worry about. WELL, there ya go XD. We are planning to dehorn them. When do you get them dehorned as well. Should we go ahead now?

Anyway, thx for the advice. Sorry if i sounded rude to yall im just a teenager what can ya do XD

Taylor

(by the way my mom sometimes uses this account so... its not always me on here XD)

To answer your questions... have him turned into a steer as soon as possible. The older they are the harder it is on them. I usually do mine around a month old or less. Dehorning; same principle applies to this too, it's easier on the calf to do it when they're young. He's too old for paste now, so you'd be best off to have your vet either chop them off or use an electric dehorner. I'd opt for the latter. BTW, whoever told you "Holsteins rarely get horns" sure sold you a bill of goods. Almost all (99% or more) Holsteins out there are horned, but occasionally there will be some that are specifically bred to be polled. I think Select Sires has maybe 2 polled bulls in their Holstein AI lineup.

As far as the calf being part Jersey... nope, that actually makes him more dangerous. Jersey bulls are the only thing meaner than Holstein bulls. I've seen 600lb yearling Jersey bulls trying to take on a person, whereas Holsteins rarely turn mean until they're 18 months or older.

Taylor's mom here,

I must say I am rather disappointed in the language well as the name calling against my 13 year old, but I also respect that this is an "adult" forum, with people who do this as a business, and yes... not pets. Did I go into this with my eyes wide open, not really, had to rely on my vet who pulled Bambi through a serious illness, & he lived and I learned more in 2 weeks than I really thought that I would ever know about cows. More money than sense most would say, not really, but I took on the responsibility of this animal. He went from death's door to a healthy animal that is growing very well. As far as his name. Well... a 13 year old named him, and as she had to tell me when I said "pick a new name, Bambi is not a good name for a boy" she reminded me that BAMBI is a BUCK in the movie. So... tell Walt Disney that Bambi is a stupid name for a boy and move past that.

The 4 cows consume around 250 pounds of Purina Startena & Grower per week, and as my hubs says... we have put panties on them because of the fans & misters during the day. He is in my "backyard" that is nearly 2 acres, as my pasture has a donkey in it that is the meanest SOB alive to "small" animals. Will kill a dog/coyote in a heartbeat, that's his job to protect the goats, does very well I might add, no yotes have taken any goats (cute that rhymed) Was told by my vet to leave the calves separate until they were about 6 months for their safety.

Back to my point. Well done, you have given great advice, and trust me, any animal here that poses a threat will not be here long. Own a 7mm, .270 & 300 mag (my personal, not hubby's). Does not matter which one is used, animal will be dropped. No one under the age of 36 is allowed in the pasture/animal area without an adult - with ANY animal.

I personally have used this sign on when Bambi was younger, and many of you gave me great advice. I appreciate that, Bambi appreciates that. Do wish however that you would not have made my 13 year old cry though.

Have a great evening.

Kelly

Lady if you didn't want your child to have his feelings hurt you should have told him that when he comes to a place like this and asks for advice he should listen to what is offered. Especially after about 30 different people have told him the same thing.

When on page 3 of this thread he is still TELLING everyone here what a nice bull he has and that they don't know what they are talking about you have to expect them to eventually get tired of the BS and start getting testy.

If I made your kid cry I apologize for that. Now you step up and take some responsibility yourself and show a little parental wisdom, like saying Taylor it's kinda funny that everyone here thinks the same thing and you don't \seem to want to listen to them so please stop wasting their time with these endless versions of the same question that has been asked, and answered(ad naseum) I might add.

Signed 3waycross, Grouchy Old Fart.

If your sign on name is anything about religion.... then wear a cross...don't be cross.

I thanked everyone for their advice, and trust me, I listen.

I really didn't figure that I had to go into what conversation I had with my 13 year old, I NEVER said that she was right in ANY manner, ANY shape, form or fashion. If you have ever had children, then remember back to the age where they THINK that they know everything. If I must, her father and I both sat her down and had a long conversation with her. Mainly it consisted of something to the effect of.... "You have owned cows for less than 6 months, and in your mind why in the world would you even think that you were as knowledable as people who have done this for their lifetime, and thier lively hood"

as for you questioning my parental ability.... really...

again, thank you to everyone for your advice.

Kelly

Latest posts