Hereford breeding opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know if they do it in cattle, but in paint horses they can take a hair folical and tell if ti is going to be a homo or not.

If it is an A.I. sire and has ever produced a red calf, then it would obviously be a red carrier. There is a place on most registration forms to denote color.

ollie":361j33mq said:
If it is an A.I. sire and has ever produced a red calf, then it would obviously be a red carrier. There is a place on most registration forms to denote color.

i'm not trying to be difficult (this time ;-) ) & my question is sincere. i'm not familiar w/some of the other breeds registrations practices, so i really don't know. it comes from this reply that dun made:

dun":361j33mq said:
Hobby Hereford":361j33mq said:
hillbilly":361j33mq said:
Stick with Angus, with no red gene.
You can get about anything you want in a Angus bull.
And yes, there is good reason why its the #1 cross in the mid-west.

Hillbilly

Bear with me, how do I know if he has any red genes?
:oops:

Regitration papers will show him as a red carrier

dun

if the bull is a young black bull (who hasn't sired any calves) out of two black parents (both red carriers), how is this designated on the papers or is it designated? if it's not, then to tell someone that the papers will say it's a red carrier isn't true.

txag":eqyaubwt said:
ollie":eqyaubwt said:

i'm not trying to be difficult (this time ;-) ) & my question is sincere. i'm not familiar w/some of the other breeds registrations practices, so i really don't know. it comes from this reply that dun made:

dun":eqyaubwt said:
Hobby Hereford":eqyaubwt said:
hillbilly":eqyaubwt said:
Stick with Angus, with no red gene.
You can get about anything you want in a Angus bull.
And yes, there is good reason why its the #1 cross in the mid-west.

Hillbilly

Bear with me, how do I know if he has any red genes?
:oops:

Regitration papers will show him as a red carrier

dun

if the bull is a young black bull (who hasn't sired any calves) out of two black parents (both red carriers), how is this designated on the papers or is it designated? if it's not, then to tell someone that the papers will say it's a red carrier isn't true.
Your correct txag.

txag":3s0ww1xv said:
txshowmom":3s0ww1xv said:
We have a bull that is a red gene carrier and he has yet to throw a red calf on our place. He has sired only about 30 calves but they have all been black ......so far.

so how do you know he's a carrier?
A good question, txag. How about it, showmom?

On his registration paper it shows the color of every sire and dam in his perigree for the last 4 or 5 generations.

txshowmom":3gsp0p89 said:
We have a bull that is a red gene carrier and he has yet to throw a red calf on our place. He has sired only about 30 calves but they have all been black ......so far.
txag":3gsp0p89 said:
so how do you know he's a carrier?
txshowmom":3gsp0p89 said:
On his registration paper it shows the color of every sire and dam in his perigree for the last 4 or 5 generations.
Help me out some more please, showmom, or anybody else...... If he has never thrown a red calf, how does simply knowing the colors all down through his pedigree tell you for certain that he carries the red gene himself?

txshowmom":2iyno2un said:
Mom, I have fooled around the edges of a few different breeds of registered cattle. I have never seen a set of papers with 5 generations of pedigree. I havn't seen 4 generations unless you count the individuall the papers are for.. Finally what breed shows color other than on the individual the papers are for.

the angus will ad the heterosis to the mix. the black hereford might get the right color but what about the heterosis?? i have been curious about the black hereford too.

jcarkie":161pgw1w said:
the angus will ad the heterosis to the mix. the black hereford might get the right color but what about the heterosis?? i have been curious about the black hereford too.

Here's a link if you want to read more

http://www.blackhereford.com
Basically, there were two approaches Hoagland could have taken in developing Black Hereford cattle. The first would have been to take an F-1 cross and breed it to a registered Angus, then line breed those cattle keeping the 50:50 percentage. The second approach was to create a Hereford that is black. The second approach will produce the maximum heterosis benefits when that black Hereford is bred to another breed. More heterosis than from a hybrid breed, he says.

I don't think you'll get near the heterosis breeding a "Black" Hereford bull to a Hereford cow, as you would breeding an Angus bull to the same Hereford cow. I just don't see it happening. JMHO

la4angus":14azfpla said:
Hobby Hereford":14azfpla said:
The second approach was to create a Hereford that is black.

How would someone create a Hereford that was black from ancestors that for centurys have been Red/WhiteFace.

cross with black angus, and only breed back the black baldy calves until you have something like 31/32 hereford blood with the black hide.

read this somewhere, but cant remember where.

but being an angus man, i figure that was the answer you wanted to hear. ;-)

jt

jt":3teg52ck said:
la4angus":3teg52ck said:
Hobby Hereford":3teg52ck said:
The second approach was to create a Hereford that is black.

How would someone create a Hereford that was black from ancestors that for centurys have been Red/WhiteFace.

cross with black angus, and only breed back the black baldy calves until you have something like 31/32 hereford blood with the black hide.

read this somewhere, but cant remember where.

but being an angus man, i figure that was the answer you wanted to hear. ;-)

jt

Herefords are RED we don't need anymore counterfiet cattle, if you want Black run Angus or Brangus dang fine cattle. Quit trying to copy the Angus people like the Black Limms and Simms etc.

Campground Cattle":2lgk6dtz said:
Herefords are RED we don't need anymore counterfiet cattle, if you want Black run Angus or Brangus dang fine cattle. Quit trying to copy the Angus people like the Black Limms and Simms etc.

Couldn't have said it better myself Camp.

certherfbeef":3beuzkki said:
Campground Cattle":3beuzkki said:

Couldn't have said it better myself Camp.

I gotta agree. If you want black Herefords, use a good black Angus bull on good Hereford cows. You'll get the maximum possible heterosis for that tye of color and markings, have excellent replacemnt heifers that could be bred either way.

dun

the concept is to not get red baldies by using the black hereford on the angus cows. because red baldies bring less money.

Latest posts