Pay day

Help Support CattleToday:

Our cattle done pretty good that we sold Tuesday.
Pairs they split that had bigger calves brought 33-$3,400.
Pairs they kept together brought up to $2,600
Two calves were born at the barn, we started to take them back home but a guy offered us $1,850/pair so we took it, they were really nice cows.
60 cows and 34 calves brought over $122k before commission.
We sold a round of calves off the cows, ( some we sold two calves) and for what we paid for them two years ago, we done really well.
Are you out and done or just cutting back?

Just got home from the sale. Pairs were $2,500 to $2,600. There was 2 smooth mouth pairs I was considering buying. First pair brought $2,450, forget that. The second one I started it at $1,600 and took it up to $1,900 where I let the other guy have it. Young close up bred cows were $2,000+. A lot of 4 & 5 month bred cows. A guy I know was buying them up at about $1,600. I don't know if he was buying them for himself or on an order.

IMG_7213.jpegHere are a few more I took today. Top one was a friends that didn't grow out good. The other two small ones could have held them longer but figured I would take the chance. All calves were sired by my red Wagyu bull. Don't think it was too bad of a hit for being ugly Wagyu steers. They were 30 days weaned also.

Sale I went to today sold 106 Corriente cross steers, 900+ pounds and dehorned, sell for $1.51.

I really don't get it. I also saw 500# steers sell for $200 more than their 200# heavier brothers from the same place.
Makes no sense to me. None whatsoever. You can bet your a$$ I won't ever be looking to buy 5 weights to feed out.

Shipped the 1600 lb young bull that had a scrotal hernia.... loop of intestine down into the scrotum along side one testicle... not common but the vet said he had seen one... could be fixed with surgery but not worth the cost with what bulls are bringing... He brought 1.35/lb... check was over $2100 AFTER commissions...
Thing was, we had been using him and had some opens from one place... then put him in with some others, it didn't look all that big then, just a little "lopsided".... and when we realized it was bad enough... and he did not pass his BSE obviously... although they did not even do a semen test... we were figuring we would have 22 opens from the other group he was with... well, there were only 7 open... so he was still getting some bred. Vet said at preg check that the colder temps helped to keep more sperm viable, and that the other side was working pretty good... so we lucked out... they are strung out from 3 mo down to 35 days bred... but we will have calves out of him... Trying a Gelbvieh to increase some size... friend that got the other gelbvieh has calves on the ground as he needed a bull right then... and really likes them... so hoping we will get some decent ones from this one. Had a great disposition.....but we didn't lose any money on him as we bought the 2 from a friend selling down from 100 cows to 30 and he kept his angus bull....

Last edited:
I went to the sale today. Kill cows were up to $1.38. I only saw 2 cows bring less than $1.25. A jersey and a crippled beef cow which both brought $1.05. A lot of big bulls. They all brought $1.55 to $1.67. The bigger ones sold for over $3,500. Pretty easy to sell and bull for that kind of money. Decent feeder calves were up to $3.15 for any thing 525 or lighter. Pairs with younger cows were $2,500-$2,400. There was some broken mouth pairs which I would have bought but my limit is $2,000 and they sold for $2,100.

Latest posts