Selling a few heifers - curious what youd pay

Help Support CattleToday:

I keep heifers for myself every other year. This is my year to sell. I have a few neighbors that know that. I single out my best 12-15, and sell them for $150 over market. Occasionally, I will deem 4 or 5 too nice to sell (look good, and out of my best cows). I don't feel like that's an unfair price, for a quality replacement heifer. I will actually background what I don't sell, and add $150 in value to them.
Sounds like a good plan actually, so in the off year do u keep all or .......

CAB requires a lot more than just color.
The guide lines are really to vague for the program to be called CAB. I know guys that have had straight bred Holsteins go CAB (this was back when Tyson still killed Holsteins). Most breeds of cattle will cut if you feed them right.
I had it explained (by a fat cattle buyer) that they have a CAB quota, if they're running short on CAB qualifying cattle the % blk requirements get a little cloudy and more cattle get slipped through as long as they cut.

CAB is for carcasses - not a live animal. They aren't certified as anything. Just black heifers. Great growthy heifers even tho subsidized since birth.
I price my heifers by how much I want to keep them in my breeding herd. I had too many weaned heifers this year, so I put them in a "high", "medium" and "low" price group. Low group was priced from $1500-$2500. I sold the bottom group within 2 days of video listing them on my FB page - at a package deal. And sold 3 out of the middle group within 2 weeks as individually priced. Must have been priced right.
I have one little one priced at $8,000. Is she worth that much? Most likely not to someone else, but she is to me. If someone comes and buys her, I will cry all the way to the bank.

You really need to disclose the Holstein part. Nothing wrong with the mix, but it's very deceptive to claim they're just Angus. Even "Angus cross" would be better than nothing.

I do. I am not selling a pure bred animal. But 1/8 Holstein is hardly Holstein.

I think my heifer calves went for about $1.75 CAD on average a month ago at the sale, The dairy influence, if the buyers pick up on that would very quickly hurt you, even if they're good animals otherwise

It's pretty obvious in some of them the dairy influence. 1/4 does matter. 1/8 does matter...now that can be a good thing or a bad thing. You have to chose the right cows and the right bulls from the breeds that compliment each other. Personally I would have used an Angus bull with very different characteristics than you have chosen to. They would fall apart fast with the forage I have here.

I agree with what others here said...you describing them like you did was dishonest. Calling them Angus X or even commercial Angus would be better than how you chose to describe them.

It's pretty obvious in some of them the dairy influence. 1/4 does matter. 1/8 does matter...now that can be a good thing or a bad thing. You have to chose the right cows and the right bulls from the breeds that compliment each other. Personally I would have used an Angus bull with very different characteristics than you have chosen to. They would fall apart fast with the forage I have here.

I agree with what others here said...you describing them like you did was dishonest. Calling them Angus X or even commercial Angus would be better than how you chose to describe them.

Huh? You literally have no idea what bull I chose? haha. Laughable

Speaking from experience. Having a 1/4 Holstein can sneak up on you and have a giant economy size calf and it won't matter what bull you use. It won't happen all the time but it is most certainly a possibility. I have lost a couple Holstein cross heifers over the years.

They will need to be very even in size to sell as a unit. If they go to auction In all probabilities they will go to an order buyer.
The order buyer will kick out one or two and they will be weighed back for the next or same buyer for less dollars.
It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to run them through the ring then you can work on next year.
Think of it as experience with a few good (hopefully) memories thrown in. It's called "The Cattle Business" jmo

Speaking from experience. Having a 1/4 Holstein can sneak up on you and have a giant economy size calf and it won't matter what bull you use. It won't happen all the time but it is most certainly a possibility. I have lost a couple Holstein cross heifers over the years.
Some continental breeds can do the same thing. Cross breeding effects start at conception.

Latest posts