Big boys pay the bills

Help Support CattleToday:

Good info here and I appreciate it. Nothing like that here so you never really get to see much of the market beyond feeders and cull cows here.

On breeds I have fed several CharX out and had them processed. They always gain well and look good finish wise but I have never had one really marble nicely. Steaks are always lackluster to say the least but the hamburger is fantastic. Is this something that you guys that finish a lot have found?

Good info here and I appreciate it. Nothing like that here so you never really get to see much of the market beyond feeders and cull cows here.

On breeds I have fed several CharX out and had them processed. They always gain well and look good finish wise but I have never had one really marble nicely. Steaks are always lackluster to say the least but the hamburger is fantastic. Is this something that you guys that finish a lot have found?
A feed lot I consult for puts cattle on Purina Acuration in a self feeder from day one when those cattle hit the yards. They buy all privet off the farm. So I have a pretty good handle on the breed composition of the calves they feed. 70% are black Angus with a few sim x angus. The other 30% are pure bred Charolais. They keep between 30-70 hd on feed depending on the time of year, and most of them weigh in the 6's when they arrive. They have started selling quarters on the side. All of their repeat customers rave about how much better the Charolais are. They are marbled, but not over fat like the blks.

To be honest of the cattle I've finished there is not a significant difference between the breeds that I've seen, but my target finish and their diet are generally pretty consistent as well. I have had a few Hereford cross that put on fat a little more. I've finished a few charolais and found no difference. This is a picture of one of them, his carcass weight was in the high 7 range maybe 800 and was great meat.

Attachments

• 48749342-E09C-4BE2-88F1-4ADBFBFA887C.jpeg
    48749342-E09C-4BE2-88F1-4ADBFBFA887C.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 14
Delivered another load last week. They ain't getting any smaller! 3 char x hfrs, 2 char x strs, 5 blk strs. Avg 1,607 before the shrink. I didn't talk directly to our buyer, but the report I got was 3 heavy carcasses, 3 yg4, 2 yg5.
The last 21hd of the 2020 calf crop are sold for March.

Latest posts