Help on Production Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

#LHB#

Reaction score
Im writing a buisness plan and need some help on how to come up with some numbers.Im looking for how to come up with.....
calf cost per year
Ai cost per year per cow
Mineral cost per year per cow
creep feeding per calf

Is there anybody who can help with some of this stuff? Or even some pointers on the buisness plan would be great. Thanks

It will be hard for someone from a different local. to give you facts.

As for me I consider myself a grass farmer try produce every pound from grass I grow. In extrem condition I supplement with other source.

As said, location is a huge factor as is size of the herd and your level of self sufficiancy. Even once you get the numbers down you have to be ready to change because every year will be different.

I figure it cost me a 1.50 a day to maintain a cow.
You might be a little cheaper a little more in your area.
You have
Taxes
Fuel
Med's
Feed/hay
Equipment maint, fencing, post, labor if you hire any.
Vet/AI
Lease Land
Anything that goes into the cow has to charged against the cow.
This all has to be broke down per cow.
The calf doesn't enter the equation until weaned with me it's cost go against the cow.

#LHB#":19vspy55 said:
Im writing a buisness plan and need some help on how to come up with some numbers.Im looking for how to come up with.....
calf cost per year
Ai cost per year per cow
creep feeding per calf

Is there anybody who can help with some of this stuff? Or even some pointers on the buisness plan would be great. Thanks

Are you wanting info based on what mineral, creep feed, AI actually cost? Or are you just looking for a general formula to fill in with you costs?

Brute 23":3anrb6u8 said:
#LHB#":3anrb6u8 said:
calf cost per year
Ai cost per year per cow
creep feeding per calf

Are you wanting info based on what mineral, creep feed, AI actually cost? Or are you just looking for a general formula to fill in with you costs?
I was more or less looking for a formula, I know it will be diffrent for my area, just looking for a plug and play formula. Thanks

#LHB#":pki7nl72 said:
I am interested in what Ai cost is I have never had it done before.

That is going to depend on your tech or vet, how much you want to spend on semen. I looked in to it and have opted out thus far.

I do my production costs a little different that what others have posted. I got a budget to spend on fertilizer, meds, fuel, fence repair, everything you can imagine associated with the cows. Anything spent comes out of that budget including tires and flat repair. There's very little carry-over in to the next year but it does happen. That carry-over could be big enough to experiment with AI at some point.

I only have very small herd and my bussiness plan would scare any banker. The land I use is too steep and poor soil to be suitable for row crops. I use some round bales of corn stalks and husks and buy some baled hay to winter. For me AI breeding is the way to get a great bull into herd. I have rented a bull to clean up incase AI did not take on all cows. You would need to talk with a semen salesman in your area to price the semen and the sync shots and the number times thru shute it get job done. Semen sales people should have list of local tec.s to do job. The creep feed price can vary huge amount with what is used. Minerals are a local thing that depends on your soils and forage diet. Any local feed dealer should help you with what is being used in your area and what to use at each reproductive stage of you cows. USDA office should have some general info. Keep in mind what works for you may not be same as your neighbor and no two years are going to be exactly alike. I have never found any fill in blank bussiness plans set up for cow calf.

Latest posts