Help me pick a sem-angus

Help Support CattleToday:

#1 bull looks the best, #2 looks great, but extremely post legged, #3 poor.
EPD's are relatively accurate when comparing 1/2 bloods to 1/2 bloods. Amer Simm Assn has the 2nd largest data base on Angus cattle. They have been producing multi-breed epd's for MANY years. But, I would want to see their pedigree & the rest of their epd's like milk and CE and MCE. If you will be seeing them in person, you can check out #1 disposition.
Af far as Simm being wild, that's not true. Yes, there are/were nuttsos in every breed. And referring to an incident 14 years ago is a bit outdated. 1/2 blood SimmAng are bringing big dollars, but only if they have good pedigree behind them on both sides.
And they will have Amer Simmental Assn. registration papers.
You can post epd & pedigree here or pm me.

Cypress, I think the BCIA sale on Feb 17 in Letohatchee will have much better bulls for less money and more to choose from. JMO (about 2 cents worth)

I havent seen the list of offerings yet for the sale,,,,,maybe Mike C knows more about what will be at the sale (it's in his backyard almost). I havent seen them listed on the BCIA site yet and have requested a catalog. If you do come to this sale let me know, we will go to lunch or something. heck we may even let Mike C tag along :)

Southerngal":3562z2ya said:
Could someone please explain to me the dislike for sim ang cattle here.....I have read these post and it just seems to me that ya'll think they are crazy. We have raised sim ang cattle for about 10 yrs it is a commerical herd of about 450 head they are calm and easy working cows even the bulls we can walk out and touch all of them. I will say that we get the odd crazy one every once in a blue moon but they never stay around for very long. I just want to hear why some of ya'll feel the way ya'll do. I understand everyone has thier opion and I respect it so please dont get your panties in a wad. Just curious.

Think I was pretty clear in my previous posts. Tearing up HD Powder River panels was enough! I'm not blaming Angus or Brahmans or Simis; but the mix FOR US was a total train wreck!

norriscathy":2ufalbce said:
Southerngal":2ufalbce said:
Could someone please explain to me the dislike for sim ang cattle here.....I have read these post and it just seems to me that ya'll think they are crazy. We have raised sim ang cattle for about 10 yrs it is a commerical herd of about 450 head they are calm and easy working cows even the bulls we can walk out and touch all of them. I will say that we get the odd crazy one every once in a blue moon but they never stay around for very long. I just want to hear why some of ya'll feel the way ya'll do. I understand everyone has thier opion and I respect it so please dont get your panties in a wad. Just curious.

Think I was pretty clear in my previous posts. Tearing up HD Powder River panels was enough! I'm not blaming Angus or Brahmans or Simis; but the mix FOR US was a total train wreck!

Seems like the Brahman influence would be the most likely of the group to influence bad behavior. Never known semis to have a reputation of being mean. We have some Simbrah raisers on here don't we? Would be interested in hearing what their experiance is with this cross?

norriscathy":2ozrsy84 said:
Southerngal":2ozrsy84 said:

Worst dispositon I have ever seen was in a Sim bull about a year old. Neighbor bought one I went with him when he picked out good looking animal calm standing in the pasture walked all around. Welll he got a little off center when they penned him, now for the trailer ride the wires got crossed. We unloaded him a good stout corral seemed calm, let him out after about a week seemed calm. Every time my neighbor got ready to pen he was going through what ever fence he was facing and would fight a circle saw. I have never seen a tiger as bad as this boy .

I just bought a really good Angus bull and so did a friend of mine that were already consigned to the BCIA sale on Feb 17 in Letohatchee, Alabama. We both had to pay the extra $100.00 it cost the guy to pull them out of the sale. There will be some great bulls of different breeds at that sale. It is not that far off as well. You might want to wait and see what you could find down there.

I've used simm/angus bulls in the past and had no trouble with disposition. As stated earlier there are nutjobs in every breed but I sure wouldn't call a bushel of apples bad because one has a worm in it. I still have quite a few cows from these bulls, probably the best ones are out of straight charlais mothers-excellent milkers and pound producers but they don't have the longevity of the smaller cattle. Just my thoughts from personal experience.

I've been raising Simm cattle since 1973; for the most part I've been buying bulls from test stations, in GA, AL and TN. The past few years I've been purchasing bulls from a sale at a peach farm in AL. These are the best bulls I have purchased. They are sound and we have not pulled a calf in 4 years.

I guess we've purchased over 200 bulls sience we tried Simm all purebred or fullblood. Never had a mean one yet, I check out the bulls before purchase and look at the dam for structure and soundness. Yes they are Simm Bulls with bad dispositions, but I leave them where I find them. My family (wife & kids) are to special to take a chance with bad disposition cattle.

In purchasing a bull you need to evaluate your heard. Know what you have and where you need improvement. Look for a bull who will start you in the direction where you what your herd to be. A good purebread producer should ask you these questions and try to see you get a bull that will give you the improvement you need. It maybe a Simm or you may find you need something else.

The only thing I hate on SimX is you mess up a good Simm.

Good luck and I hope you find the bull that you need.

Kent":2wrq7tlg said:
PeppersFarms,

You ever bought any cattle from John Howard? I have a 30728 zip as well.

I have purchased cattle from John before and would highly recommend him, he is a good producer and stands behind what he sells. I've tried to buy from his sale some, but what I wanted sold for more than my budget could afford.

These bulls are all from Sunshine Farms in Clanton,AL. To their credit, before they suggested anything to me, they asked a lot of questions about when I would be breeding, what I would be breeding them to, my climate/grass. and some others. Their recommendation with pics came after about 4 or 5 e-mails exchanged concerning what I was looking for.

cypressfarms":g3p2vfm3 said:
These bulls are all from Sunshine Farms in Clanton,AL. To their credit, before they suggested anything to me, they asked a lot of questions about when I would be breeding, what I would be breeding them to, my climate/grass. and some others. Their recommendation with pics came after about 4 or 5 e-mails exchanged concerning what I was looking for.

Now I KNOW you got to stop by Cypress. I'm about 40 miles south of Sunshine. I'll even take you to see some "Chiangus" bulls too!! ;-)

Cypress, I just got the BCIA Letohatchee sale catalog today, they will have 102 bulls at the sale,,,,angus,charolais, hereford and simmental

OK I don't have a dictionary handy and too lazy to go downstairs to get one. I'll bite. What does it mean???

Amer Simmental was the FIRST breed to produce EPD's. They have been producing Multi-Breed EPD's for many years.

Latest posts