Help me pick a sem-angus

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

Please let me know what you think about the below bulls. They are all 1/2 simm 1/2 angus and are located at a farm in Alabama that I'm considering buying from. Bull would be used with Brangus cows, not heifers, for bigger calves with the possibility of retaining replacements.

#287 actual BW 81, actWW 702 actYW 1034
epd's bw 0.0 ww +23 yw +40 price$2000
p287.jpg

#346 actual BW 84, actWW 642 act YW 1003
epd's bw -0.5 ww +27 yw +59 price$2500
p346.jpg

#210 actual BW 86, actWW 544 act YW 1001
epd's bw 0.6, ww +20 yw +33 price$2000
p210.jpg

cypressfarms":ywopcz3x said:
Hi guys/gals,

Please let me know what you think about the below bulls. They are all 1/2 simm 1/2 angus and are located at a farm in Alabama that I'm considering buying from. Bull would be used with Brangus cows, not heifers, for bigger calves with the possibility of retaining replacements.
If you are gonna retain replacements there should be Milk EPD's available to consider.

I wouldn't touch the top bull with a 10 ft pole.

The middle bull would be my first choice, but I would keep looking.

The bottom bull could be considered, but again I would keep looking.

Cypress, Ride on up the road a little piece. Boy have I got a deal for you! ;-)

Arnold Ziffle":3g6oe41g said:
Lloyd, you reckon #287 would let cypressfarms walk up and scratch him on the nose?
I said I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole. I should have worded it I couldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes to registered, but I'm not sure how the 1/2 sim 1/2 angus works with the papers.

I don't like 287, he's got that "you want a piece of me?" look.

Hey Mike C , what you got, but Crowder rejects?

Got a few "White" long yearling bulls left. They do pretty good on my brangus cows.

No Crowder rejects. ;-)

cypressfarms":3c3ysyc7 said:
Yes to registered, but I'm not sure how the 1/2 sim 1/2 angus works with the papers.
As far as Angus Assn is concerned those papers could be rolled up and kept in the outhouse. They could benefit someone there.

I am not too fond of any of them (but of course I didn't look at their epd's.) The second bull is decent but his back wheels won't work very long. The last time I was at wal-mart they were all out of bull hocks.

I like the second bull out of all the three. But he doesn't have the hind quarter like I like to see in bulls. The second bull would be my overall pick, but I would have to keep looking. :cboy:

cypressfarms":mmhqnlw1 said:
la4angus":mmhqnlw1 said:
If you are gonna retain replacements there should be Milk EPD's available to consider.

Milk for #346 is +3
But how accurate are EPD's on F1 cattle. Personally I wouldn't put much faith in them.

We crossed a brangus with a semi and the result was unreal! Put the bull on test and after 3 weeks the test station called and told me to come pick the bull up. First time in over 30 years the asked someone to terminate a test early. Picked him up, took him to the sale barn and he killed himself running into pipe fences. The main reason we changed to Gelbvieh cattle!!!!

norriscathy":7n1gd4cf said:
We crossed a brangus with a semi and the result was unreal! Put the bull on test and after 3 weeks the test station called and told me to come pick the bull up. First time in over 30 years the asked someone to terminate a test early. Picked him up, took him to the sale barn and he killed himself running into pipe fences. The main reason we changed to Gelbvieh cattle!!!!

O.k. this concerns me. These bulls are all 1/2 angus 1/2 simi, and I would be breeding to brangus cows. Could you expound on this norris???

Arnold Ziffle":3rql2vkt said:
Gotta keep those Brangus away from Peterbilts, Kenworths and even Macks. When crossed with a semi they tend to almost immediately get ornery, or very dead. :lol:

I know everyone has horror stories, but the resulting calves from this bull bred to brangus would be roughly 25% simi, 56% angus, and 18% brahman. Why would such a low % of simi cause a calf to be so hot?

cypress, I don't really think that particular combination would be more likely to result in "hot" progeny than any other composite animal, and I wouldn't worry about it. Of course there are hot, and dog tame, cows & bulls in any breed or composites. Many people believe "tigerstripes" are likely to be hotter than most other crosses and I would generally agree with that as a broad proposition (I've had mostly "tame" ones but also a few that didn't much care for me or any other human). Lots of folks would tell you to not be surprised to see some relatively hot calves if they were sired by EXT (Angus). And on and on.

I'd guess that norriscathy was merely offering an anecdotal account, presumably based on just the one animal to which he referred. ( and of course my earlier comment was simply a smartass, nonmalicious quip --- a play on words, his use of "semi" when I knew he really meant "simmi" )

Latest posts