Help me pick a sem-angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Arnold Ziffle":s9rx7mt4 said:
( and of course my earlier comment was simply a smartass, nonmalicious quip --- a play on words, his use of "semi" when I knew he really meant "simmi" )

I don't think she'd appreciate being double clutched, though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anyone have a valid reason to not use the type cross to breed to cows? Seems like a good mix to me.

At those prices I would pass on all 3 of em.....Second bull looks as if he might have some Myers 734 breeding in him. That would be a plus, but he is light in the rump.

number 2 and 3 for sure look like crap. i cant tell about the first one, he might be ok.

cant get much postier than number 2. 3 has no butt at all.

lakading":2apr3gvx said:
Saltydawg":2apr3gvx said:
Would pass on all 3 at those prices.

Are we looking for cow fresheners or breeding bulls?
I thought that a little while back. Looks to me like some are looking for cow fresheners.

lakading":3g1p69lf said:
Saltydawg":3g1p69lf said:

Are we shopping for the next potential Grand Champion or are we looking for a working bull in a commercial herd?

Well you can spend your money on those bulls lol.

There are too many decent bulls out there for less money.

Maybe its just me though lol. I don't like to spend money, others have deeper pockets or something.

Saltydawg":dq7sson6 said:
Well you can spend your money on those bulls lol.

There are too many decent bulls out there for less money.

Maybe its just me though lol. I don't like to spend money, others have deeper pockets or something.

That's fine. But you DO get what you pay for.

I don't like 2 or 3 much. The first one it looks like those back legs are coming out of the same hole but maybe it is just the picture. I like his actual WW better, more what I'd expect an Angus/Siimm cross to weigh. I'd probably keep looking, especially if you want to keep some replacements.

cypress,
i too wouldnt buy a crossbred bull for more than 1500. but thats just me. i have used LimAng bulls before that i got for 1400 and got good results. i think simang would be an ok cross for your cows but the price is too steep.

Saltydawg":205b06b9 said:
lakading":205b06b9 said:
Saltydawg":205b06b9 said:

Are we shopping for the next potential Grand Champion or are we looking for a working bull in a commercial herd?

O.k., for the record, we are looking for a working commercial bull. No desire to have a grand champion, as he would probably be too busy looking in the mirror. Just want a good bull that will do his work crossed with what I have, and bring extra vigor to the plate. The prices are steep, no doubt, but that extra $500 or so will be long forgotten if the bull produces well.

I say keep shopping...I think you can do a lot better for that kind of money

cypressfarms":3cbfh6cf said:
norriscathy":3cbfh6cf said:
We crossed a brangus with a semi and the result was unreal! Put the bull on test and after 3 weeks the test station called and told me to come pick the bull up. First time in over 30 years the asked someone to terminate a test early. Picked him up, took him to the sale barn and he killed himself running into pipe fences. The main reason we changed to Gelbvieh cattle!!!!

O.k. this concerns me. These bulls are all 1/2 angus 1/2 simi, and I would be breeding to brangus cows. Could you expound on this norris???

We actually crossed all three breeds (Angus, Brahman, and Simi) using the best registered stock we could find. (Bred Angusx Brah 1/2 each to Simi bull. All three groups were realatively "workable" cattle. The resulting offspring were totally wild. I had to leave on a business trip on cow working day so I left my wife to run the show with the cowboys we had used forever. When I got home the working pens and alleys were torn to pieces. We still have a couple of Powder River Classic panels that they bent up! I fussed at her for letting the cowboys use hot shots and she informed me real quick that they didn't use hot shots, it was those crazy yearlings. We still have one of the cows from the cross and she did fine. She's now approaching 14 years old and has raised a calf equal to 60% of her body weight each year. It was a good idea but one out of 50 wasn't to great! That's when we changed out program to Gelbvieh and are so amored with using a little South Devon. From now on its gentleness first, Cathy and I are too old to get hurt by some of these nut cases!

Could someone please explain to me the dislike for sim ang cattle here.....I have read these post and it just seems to me that ya'll think they are crazy. We have raised sim ang cattle for about 10 yrs it is a commerical herd of about 450 head they are calm and easy working cows even the bulls we can walk out and touch all of them. I will say that we get the odd crazy one every once in a blue moon but they never stay around for very long. I just want to hear why some of ya'll feel the way ya'll do. I understand everyone has thier opion and I respect it so please dont get your panties in a wad. Just curious.

Latest posts