Has CT benefitted you?

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":3k5nmd5f said:
HDRider":3k5nmd5f said:
Kingfisher":3k5nmd5f said:
It's made me a more rounded cook.
I have put on a few pounds and got rounder too.

Same problem here.

I have learnt a lot from CT and still continue to do so. It's a pity that personal feuds often lead to misinformation being fed to those that may not know better by because they decide to side by the right side (often not the most factually correct side)

When you find an institution void of misinformation, call me. I will fly to Cape Town, we will go up on Table Mountain and I will kiss your azz and give you a month to line up your friends so they can watch. :D

Just kidding.

KNERSIE, don't you think the average person can wade past the misinformation. Even those who cannot are probably only infrequently adversely affected by it. Having said that, misinformation is often a tool that can be used to obtain a designed outcome. So not always bad.

I hope I do get back to SA. You have a beautiful country.
RON

inyati13":29s74zg3 said:
No. I am a total nervous wreck worrying about my image here. I now take 6 medications a day. When I started I only took Crestor.

But I have learned a lot. I do enjoy the exchange of information. I even enjoy the drama. :mrgreen:

You've taken a whole lot of heat. I admire the way you deal with it.

Deepsouth":2s6jhl6y said:
Hook":2s6jhl6y said:
Chuckie":2s6jhl6y said:
I made several of Dun's mineral feeders in the beginning. They worked great, but I could no longer pick the sack up and steady the barrel while pouring it out of the sack.

I guess it is a girl thing.
Not a girl thing. I have my son hold the feeder steady while I fill it.

Couldn't you just drop the tailgate of the truck and back it up to the feeder. Set the feeder on the tailgate fill it then drive out from under it.
Deepsouth, I think you might get away with that a time or two....installation better be helll for stout though.

1982vett":3lo61ljq said:
Deepsouth":3lo61ljq said:
Couldn't you just drop the tailgate of the truck and back it up to the feeder. Set the feeder on the tailgate fill it then drive out from under it.
Deepsouth, I think you might get away with that a time or two....installation better be helll for stout though.
If you use the D shaped hangers and use the flat piece on the inside to carry the weight, as long as it's hung by a chain it will last a lot longer then you think. It surprises me how strong those plastic barrels are. In 15 years I've only had one break and that one cracked from the hole in the side down through the bottom. Never could figure out why it cracked there.

I have gotten several ideas from reading CT, but the best has to be the mineral feeder. Thanks Dun! I fully expect my feeder to outlast me. I also used a D hanger with an extra back plate, and hung it with a chain.

My answer is yes. If it isn't a yes then you shouldn't be here. If it's a no, your just here to cause trouble. Everyone is wiser than someone about something. I can't say I've really implemented much of anything differently from what we are doing on the farm because of CT. But I do like seeing what works for others and what doesn't. I like getting tips I may not of thought about yet. CT was really a lot of help here lately when my calf couldn't walk and other members helped me figure out what was wrong with her. It helped encourage me to keep working harder with her and we got her going. I'm gonna use a horse term, but she really looks like a filly in the pasture now. There is usually always someone who's been there first and can help out a lot. Thanks everyone for being here and keeping this forum going.

backhoeboogie":kvcps1j9 said:
inyati13":kvcps1j9 said:
No. I am a total nervous wreck worrying about my image here. I now take 6 medications a day. When I started I only took Crestor.

But I have learned a lot. I do enjoy the exchange of information. I even enjoy the drama. :mrgreen:

You've taken a whole lot of heat. I admire the way you deal with it.
A lot of the "heat" in Inyati's early days was well deserved and I think even he will admit it. He's much more settled down now.... :bs: :lol: :lol: wish I could do the same but I'm too old to change. :lol: :lol: I learn new things everyday. Some very important, some just small things to remember when the time comes. A lot of more simple ways to do certain things. We're never to old or hard headed to learn.

My answer is "Yes". I come to this site to learn, share, grow, but ultimately for the camaraderie. Sometimes this site makes me laugh... sometimes it makes me cringe!!
I love seeing how others do it in their part of the world compared to mine. All-in-All it's just a great group to be a part of! Where else can you go to learn and share cattle... how to cook a ham... or how to blow up a tree!

Brian

TN Cattle Man":1uxu9uu6 said:
My answer is "Yes". I come to this site to learn, share, grow, but ultimately for the camaraderie. Sometimes this site makes me laugh... sometimes it makes me cringe!!
I love seeing how others do it in their part of the world compared to mine. All-in-All it's just a great group to be a part of! Where else can you go to learn and share cattle... how to cook a ham... or how to blow up a tree!

Brian

It's a great place to post pictures of our farm trucks but some guys just refuse to get on board.

Mssscamp was another one I really liked in my early days here. She could say a lot in a few words. I had read all of her posts at one point too. Never had contact outside of this forum. She and milkmaid seemed to do a lot of dialog.

Does anyone know if mssscamp is still doing alright?

One thing we can all learn. We all seerve a purpose, even if it's only to serve as a bad example.

dun":shyvvncz said:
One thing we can all learn. We all seerve a purpose, even if it's only to serve as a bad example.

I turned in an application a few times. Embarrassing.

I've learned quit abit. Including Dun's mineral feeder, Jakes fence tensioners and tannerite wont blow a huge oak tree out of the ground...

Dun says:
I also wait until they have wandered off and are far enough away that I can put the mineral in without "help" from them. Putting mineral sin before it runs dry also helps.

After being here for 10 years, that was one thing I learned right here on CT! :nod:
I am obsessive about my mineral program, and they never run out. I spend too much money on it to supply it occasionally as it would not benefit my cattle. Feeding $35 for 50 lbs of bagged mineral occasionally is wasting a lot of money. I chose the best that I could get my hands on.
For those that don't supply it to their cattle after reading the information that has been given on this site, there are plenty of sites to look up about breeding problems, poor performance, and still born calves, etc.............pictures included!

TexasBred has given us all a lot of knowledge about our feeding programs. There has been so much leaned from him. Not all bagged mineral is equal either.

Also, I have learned a lot from you, Dun, as well. I learned a lot about Orchard grass, and cattle. Just as you can head someone in the right direction on what to do, and if they have doubts about it, then look it up. But, we all know that you have the experience, and you are telling it like it is.

The feeders were close to the feed troughs, and when the truck is driven in that area and stops, they all come running.

Dustings of feed are given from time to time just to get them up or to do a quick check when time was short to check all of the cattle by traveling to them. That didn't happen that often. It takes time to go through the pastures with heavy tree stands and the cattle were split up. Sometimes there was enough time to do this.

So, they weren't suffering from lack of mineral, they just were wanting a grain fix!

"Meals on Wheels" :lol2:

backhoeboogie":1431mwhf said:

The last I heard, her family had sold out the Murrey Grays and she got involved with raising Boer goats. Initially she had a few "growing pains", not unusual when starting something new, but things were getting ironed out and going okay. She was doing well.

She was another who offered up good information and suggestions. She told it like it is, I respect that.

backhoeboogie":vfwze9h1 said:
Mssscamp was another one I really liked in my early days here. She could say a lot in a few words. I had read all of her posts at one point too. Never had contact outside of this forum. She and milkmaid seemed to do a lot of dialog.

Don't know but see that a lot of people gave her a lot of crap so maybe she just said the heck with it all. She sure knew a lot about goats. I thought she was a pretty bright person. Fond of Stephen King novels too.

James T":3943nab6 said:
backhoeboogie":3943nab6 said:

Don't know but see that a lot of people gave her a lot of crap so maybe she just said the heck with it all. She sure knew a lot about goats. I thought she was a pretty bright person. Fond of Stephen King novels too.

Seems like I've seen that name on Homesteading Today. I'll check and see

I've always traded cattle and never planned on keeping any of them, but after seeing how others do things and since I kept a few cows from time to time have a different idea if how I plan to proceed
As Chuckie said TB has helped me learn more about the nutritional side
1982vette years ago took the time to pm me some nutritional information and figuring formulas when we were in a dry spell and I had some heifers I'd bred and couldn't turn yet and probably saved me from a wreck
In 2011 we were all in a drought and it helped to see what others were doing
CB once said if a cow can't make it on my grass I'll change cows not grass, the light came on for me right there with that one statement
Texaspapaw has taken the time to visit and some helpful information on some of the things that he's done
Several people helped when I was looking to relocate and that helped a bunch
I talk to a few folks from time to time to get their input in something's and without CT I'd of never met all these people
I can't think of another place that has as much to offer
Edit
Sorry about the typo's, between me and auto correct I barely understand it

Workinonit Farm":3e89tcvr said:
backhoeboogie":3e89tcvr said:

The last I heard, her family had sold out the Murrey Grays and she got involved with raising Boer goats. Initially she had a few "growing pains", not unusual when starting something new, but things were getting ironed out and going okay. She was doing well.

She was another who offered up good information and suggestions. She told it like it is, I respect that.

She and I were on the same side of the fence from time to time. Bottle feeding methods was one.

Not that any others were wrong. She offered good advice. Whether or not you took it was up to you.

TennesseeTuxedo":150lpmol said:
TN Cattle Man":150lpmol said:

Brian

It's a great place to post pictures of our farm trucks but some guys just refuse to get on board.
Great Point TT... I may just start a new thread called "Farm Trucks"! That will make me get off my azz and finally post a picture!!

Latest posts